dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-08 16:23:13: Over the years several communities have gotten upset about the AT&T VRAD cabinets required to deliver the company's U-Verse FTTN/VDSL service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

3 recommendations

mixdup

Competition, competition, competition!

We complain so loudly that ISPs have no competition and that AT&T and Verizon are abandoning copper, it's sad that communities are sabotaging what little crumbs of upgrades AT&T is willing to put out there.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

What doesn't make sense

These people don't complain about the existing crossboxes and pedestals. They complain when the internet is slow and Facebook/Youtube is slow.

Yet they get upset when a tel-co tries to provide better service?

Yes its a two way street...AT&T should do its best to keep lawn fridges out of the way - but they usually go where there already is a large utility cabinet.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Ok NIMBY or NIMFY...

But when it comes to tax money that san fran will get they might change there tone, but if i was att piss on them i would pull it out and put it somewhere they want the vrads..

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: What doesn't make sense

San Fran voters wants free internet and the local gov't wants the pay offs to "pretty up" the boxes which then goes to someone's slush fund

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Well, I guess that answers the question doesn't it.

They are apparently are very happy with comcast. Maybe google fiber should try there, might have better luck.

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

1 recommendation

atcotr to mixdup

Anon

to mixdup

Re: Competition, competition, competition!

People who want decent broadband need to get organized and be more vocal. That's the democratic process. Now if the public hearings and election seasons are dominated by form over function and NIMBY types then they the city will have chosen their pristine utility box free urbanscape (never mind the existing utility poles) over such trifling amenities such as a second choice for an Internet connection > 10 Mbps.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

have and have-nots

wrap that beast

dats a purdy box
Telus cabinet decoration for the rich neighborhoods.

»sqwabb.wordpress.com/201 ··· its-dsl/

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Wow, I've never seen that. That's a lovely painted garden frog statue.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

2 recommendations

Skippy25 to mixdup

to mixdup

Yes, but let's look at reality.....

uVerse (in it's current form) is not competition to cable service no matter how you cut it.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to humanfilth

to humanfilth

Re: have and have-nots

What cabinet? I can't see any cabinets in those photos.

15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

LOL @ San Fran...what a joke of a city.

San Francisco has really become a ramshackle and laughing stock over the past 50 years or so. No surprise to me, just another US city that is slowly becoming a overcrowded mess, and terrible gov't management.

My folks just visited there recently and have been there on numerous occasions over the past 50 years! They are dumbfounded at the decline and decay!

I see no reason why the citizens can't spend a few bucks to beautify the immediate areas surrounding the VRADS and DSLAMS. I agree that murals are defacement of company property, and they are crappy looking anyway.

I'm not a big fan of ANY of the big providers but ATT is offering to improve internet service, you are crazy to refuse it...but this IS San Fran.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

values

2k for concealment of shameful dslam equipment that does NOTHING to deploy 21st century broadband versus 2k for deploying FTTP direct to consumers' homes.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

I don't see these giant boxes in the Chicago area.

We have the much smaller ones that sit low off telephone poles.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

1 edit

3 recommendations

cramer to mixdup

Premium Member

to mixdup

It's not an "upgrade". It's a bandaid over dead-end technology. AT&T is milking every cent out of the copper infrastructure across the country -- so they can keep putting all the money in their pockets -- instead of running fiber everywhere.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Shorter boxes

The Uverse boxes in my area are shorter then the shorter box in the picture about waist high. They need to give the FTTN up and do the FTTH for new projects. FTTN was the technology for the past 10 years they need to move on.
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

djeremy to 15444104

to 15444104

Re: LOL @ San Fran...what a joke of a city.

As a resident of SF since 2005, I beg to differ. Yeah, this city is a bit of a mess right now, but that's because of the massive construction projects (both commercial and residential), the complete overhaul of major parks and recreation areas, and the streets are torn up because the gas, water and sewage lines are being seismically retrofitted. Don't throw blanket statements out about someplace you know nothing about.

Having said that, AT&T can keep their crappy copper U-Verse service. Install fiber or don't bother. Also keep in mind that right as Sonic.net started to build out fiber in SF, AT&T sued them so they had to stop.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

If you read my post my folks have visited San Fran on many occasions and the decay and hodgepodge has been happening for decades now. I too have been to your city a few times and my folks are spot on from what I can see. Of course it is better than Oakland. LOL

15444104 (banned) to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: values

Agreed, why not just install the FTTP, which is what the old
Bell South was doing since 2007? ATT owns that technology now and ability to build it now anyhow. There are many areas here in the southeast that have FTTP.
djeremy
join:2004-07-12
San Francisco, CA

djeremy to cramer

to cramer

Yep. They can keep their copper. If they want to install fiber with gigabit speeds, they can put a cabinet on my property.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to David

MVM

to David

Re: Well, I guess that answers the question doesn't it.

said by David:

They are apparently are very happy with comcast. Maybe google fiber should try there, might have better luck.

Maybe; they certainly have more financial clout than Sonic.net, which has been trying to deploy fiber there for a few years.

»forums.sonic.net/viewtop ··· 0&t=1085

"Someone objected ..."
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

1 recommendation

BiggA to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Quite true.
BiggA

BiggA to 15444104

Premium Member

to 15444104

Re: LOL @ San Fran...what a joke of a city.

Murals would be nice if they are done properly, but how do you regulate that and not just end up with a bunch of crap graffiti? It shouldn't be an issue for AT&T. If anything, it protects the boxes...

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Why do you say that? It greatly dependent on who the cable provider in your area is. TWC is the cable company here and U-verse is better in every way compared to them!
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Skippy25

to Skippy25
U-Verse absolutely competes with cable.

The majority of households are looking at price and feature set, not raw broadband speed for bragging rights - and I'm seeing 12Mbps-18Mbps minimum at every unfortunate U-Verse install I encounter.

AT&T manages to offer up more sought-after channels in their bundles at lower price points; viewers don't seem to notice the uber-compression and (video) performance issues.

You wouldn't catch me, ever, recommending their product or brand, but the sales figures contradict your wishful claim.
elray

elray to odreian615

to odreian615

Re: I don't see these giant boxes in the Chicago area.

Verizon installed Fios boxes on poles here, 2-4 feet off the ground.

They ran afoul of the city, state, and ADA, for blocking a public sidewalk - quite a hazard for the blind, who were prone to walk straight into them.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell

said by Msradell:

Why do you say that? It greatly dependent on who the cable provider in your area is. TWC is the cable company here and U-verse is better in every way compared to them!

Not here, TWC is WAYYYYY better then AT&T's best offering. AT&T's best tier tops out at 18/1 while I'm currently getting 100/5 from TWC. Next month TWC will be moving me to 300/20 - even if AT&T decided to deploy those cabinets making their max speed 45/6, that's still not even close.

/M

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Skippy25

to Skippy25

Re: have and have-nots

Sorry we can't fix your internet because out tech can't find the cabinet.....

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Federal or state pre-emption

I wish there was some higher authority (either federal or state) that would pre-empt local zoning regulations over telecommunications facilities such as cell towers or broadband facilities.

People complain about no broadband service or no cell reception but at the same time they complain when a willing property owner wants to lease his land to Verizon for a cell tower because the neighbors think it's so-called ugly. You can't have cell reception without a cell tower nor can you have U-Verse without VRADS.

San Francisco needs to shut up.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to elray

to elray

Yes, it barely competes with cable but it is not better. Price wise TWC beats uverse with its lowest $14.99/mo tier. Speed wise the cable companies beat uverse hands down.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

and

And here I am offering them to put one in my front lawn just so i'll have a landline option lol... Some get it all to the point where they can be picky and the rest of us have to plead and beg... And no smug person_0-95, we are not all in actual rural areas, so stop before you start.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next