spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-12 09:19:13: Purportedly in response to public outcry over net neutrality, sources tell the Wall Street Journal that FCC boss Tom Wheeler is reconfiguring the agency's net neutrality rules so that they "ensure assurances that the agency won't allow companies to s.. ..

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

a better perspective here

skim both articles to better appreciate this Title II issue;

»www.popularmechanics.com/technol···=main_sr

»www.techdirt.com/articles/201405···nd.shtml

battleop

join:2005-09-28

sources tell the Wall Street Journal

So either they have a bunch of employees who can't keep their mouths shut or they are too chicken shit to release this info on their own.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

2 edits

said by battleop:

So either they have a bunch of employees who can't keep their mouths shut or they are too chicken shit to release this info on their own.

????

Its standard policy for Journalists to protect sources. It is also standard policy for the government to punish unauthorized spokespersons, both officially and unofficially.

Surely you understand this??

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Taxes & Fees

changing ISPs is only going to cut down on indie providers now, and will only increase prices for everyone else. USF on all services, "other taxes and fees" will start popping up and everything else.

Also who is going to pay to run Fiber to the mountains for anyone wanting it that lives in a remote cottage, or to the nearest cottage in AK that's 40miles from the nearest village? Is the American people going to pay for that?

antidelldude

join:2003-12-22
Rochester, MI

3 recommendations

THE AMEIRCAN PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE PAID! »www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007···683.html
We have actually paid MORE than is estimated to cover the country in Google Fiber:
»www.businessinsider.com/how-much···-2012-12

And the people in remote locations in the mountains would be using wireless solutions. NO-ONE is going to trench fiber in those instances. We had our chance, and we got screwed. Now it's going to take WAY more time and be harder to implement.

battleop

reply to DataRiker

Re: sources tell the Wall Street Journal

"Its standard policy for Journalists to protect sources."

If this is the case there are a lot of companies and agencies who have some serious security issues.

" It is also standard policy for the government to punish unauthorized spokespersons, both officially and unofficially"

So this falls under the chicken shit comment.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

DataRiker
Premium

3 recommendations

This makes absolutely no sense.

Leaky government sources serve in the public's best interest 99% of the time.

Calling somebody "chicken" because they do not want to lose their job for letting the light shine on public officials is beyond dumb.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

Banned outright

The official said the draft would also seek comment on whether such agreements, called "paid prioritization," should be banned outright
Fuck yes it should be outright banned!
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

Big Money Will Win

"and look to prohibit the big broadband companies, such as Comcast and AT&T from doing deals with some content companies on terms that they aren't offering to others."

That means if you dont have deep pockets you're still screwed.

The problem here is not that Netflix was forced to pay to play, the problem is that Netflix was forced to get a private connection. Did Comcast not say that 50% of their traffic or more at one point was from Netflix? Okay so why do we continue to have issues loading iTunes, Youtube, and Amazon videos during peak hours if this was true since this traffic is now on a private connection? Yet external speed test sites work perfectly fine. I cant for a minute believe that comcast is not playing with traffic.
--
Ski News - Ski Colorado Blog
Web Hosting - www.FrontRangeHosting.com

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to antidelldude

Re: Taxes & Fees

Cell services and wireless doesn't work well in mountains, that everyone knows. And estimated and you're comparing Google Fiber? You do realize that it is done on the cheap right? Compare that with costs of FiOS or any other project.

Also linking a PBS story without any sources linked to it, it is like using Wiki for your sources.

posthaste

join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

Wheeler

Tom Wheeler's true character will be judged by what job he takes after leaving the FCC.

nuff said.

mpellegrini

join:2009-02-22
Tacoma, WA
reply to DataRiker

When an employee leaks something at odds with their bosses, then they're a hero (think Edward Snowden).

When an administration officially "leaks" something in advance to "test the waters" - which is clearly where this FCC "leak" falls, it's chickenshit.

Quite a stark difference between the two instances.

antidelldude

join:2003-12-22
Rochester, MI
reply to ITGeeks

Cell service vs fixed access wireless are vastly different. You can't have a parabolic grid antenna on your cellphone. The waste of money stated in the PBS article is a widely known fact and this is the internet, not an academic paper, so go look it up yourself. You obviously have your mind made up and don't care to investigate further.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

Loyalty

He is fully committed to making sure he allows the big ISP's have their way, that they can totally control all content and screw us in any way they wish. Amazing to watch him jump around and no matter what he says or does he knows everyone is against it and everyone knows exactly what he is doing and that he is a liar. There are what 6 large telecom corporations who badly want this and the entire country including every business is against it and he continues to fight for those 6. What a piece of sewer crap this man is.

Probitas

@206.248.154.x

There is only one true threat Wheeler cares about...

Whether he'll have a comfy job with one of the incumbents after his stint at the FCC. He will do NOTHING to damage that potential cash flow. Sorry folks, I work for me first, then the incumbents, then maybe for you, if I get something out of it.

battleop

reply to DataRiker

It's more than Government sources. How many posts do we see here that are always quoting "inside" sources? It's like the second Directv breaks from a meeting everyone goes back to their desk and calls their friend at the WSJ to tell them about how they want to buy Dish.
--

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to ITGeeks

I think fixed wireless would be just fine.

Well the government seems to always go for the lowest bidder, why not Google?

....and you're attacking a PBS story's author by going after his sources? That's a Straw Man, Aunt Sally, or argumentum ad hominem...

Cringely (Mark Stephens) has stated that he has FIRST hand knowledge based on his experience in the industry, and you call also do your own research on the topic; this isn't graduate school and you're not a college professor.

Mark Stephens was born in 1953, in Apple Creek, Ohio. He earned a bachelor's degree from the College of Wooster in Ohio[1] in 1975. Stephens received a Master's degree in Communication in 1979 from Stanford University and also pursued work toward a doctorate there. He has stated that he was an early employee of Apple Inc. I think he's pretty well respected and most of the information is now pretty common knowledge.

plk
Premium
join:2002-04-20
united state

Shake down for elections

I can smell the money flying. The GOP will be seeing a wind fall of money headed their way from AT&T Comcast etc Since for the most part they are all anti Net Neutrlity (anti regulation)
If the Dem's were smart they would side with the American people.
Make them sign pledges to classify Broadband as a common carrier.

Obama is on my shit list for appointing this treasonous parasite to the FCC.

totalradio

join:2007-09-15
reply to Probitas

Re: There is only one true threat Wheeler cares about...

Actually, if Wheeler is as intentionally vague about net neutrality as he has been, then the customer will get screwed.

Again.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to mpellegrini

said by mpellegrini:

chickenshit.

Quite a stark difference between the two instances.

Still don't follow. I would never complain of too much transparency from the Government, irrespective of the motive.

Give the responsibility of considering the source to the people.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
reply to jjeffeory

said by jjeffeory:

Cringely (Mark Stephens) has stated that he has FIRST hand knowledge based on his experience in the industry, and you call also do your own research on the topic; this isn't graduate school and you're not a college professor.

Mark Stephens was born in 1953, in Apple Creek, Ohio. He earned a bachelor's degree from the College of Wooster in Ohio[1] in 1975. Stephens received a Master's degree in Communication in 1979 from Stanford University and also pursued work toward a doctorate there. He has stated that he was an early employee of Apple Inc. I think he's pretty well respected and most of the information is now pretty common knowledge.

There are several problems with Cringely's story.

First, it contains no references or links of any kind. I am usually suspicious of such articles, although I suppose it is possible Cringely knows all of these facts from personal experience. But my guess is that his story is actually based on uncredited research by Bruce Kushnick.

That is a problem in itself; if you're gonna use someone else's research, you really should credit them. I won't go so far as accusing Cringely of plagiarism, it's quite possible Kushnick gave him permission and didn't want his name known. But Kushnick is such a crusader on this point, I think that highly unlikely.

Third, the fact is, Kushnick's research actually is not very reliable. I've read parts of his 400p book on the alleged $300B "rip off", and the parts that I've read I've found to be poorly organized and lacking a consistent, logical argument.

I'll give just one example: in his "case study" of the "Opportunity New Jersey" case, he claims New Jersey Bell over earned due to accelerated depreciation and because they followed Financial Accounting Standard (FAS) No. 71.

Whether they over-earned or not is a separate issue, but I agree NJ Bell promised a fiber network it did not deliver. Where I disagree with Bruce and other commenters is that they got tax benefits in exchange for their fiber build-out commitment.

First, FAS 71 is part of GAAP, and publicly traded companies have to follow GAAP, by law. Second, accelerated tax depreciation is part of the tax code. All companies must follow the tax code, by law. Third, neither GAAP nor the tax code were "benefits" to Verizon in exchange for their fiber commitment.

This is just one example of the distortions and half-truths throughout Kushnick's 400 pages. Maybe that's why Cringely didn't want to say where he got his numbers.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to posthaste

Re: Wheeler

should be rules that once your appointed to the FCC your banned from working in Telecom for life

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to fg8578

Thank you very much for a great reply! I agree that both sides give distortions and half-truths to get their points across. I realize that Cringely isn't a perfect reporter as well, but his opinion isn't the only one many of us have relied upon to form our opinions on the current state of affairs.

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR

Actually I owe Cringely an apology.

Although he provides no in-line references, he does provide links to additional material in a sidebar to his main article.

Mea culpa, Mr. Cringely.