spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-12 08:33:26: Comcast has slowly been enabling functionality in user routers that creates a Wi-Fi SSID that will be shared publicly with passersby, a feature that's confused some customers (it can be disabled and the public data doesn't count against your cap). ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

"disrupt" the wireless market?

Sounds like to me that they might be offering some kind of portability of your landline OV number to your cell phone to be used on their wi-fi network similar to using something like Skype.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

2 recommendations

Customers do not have a chance when attacked by ISP parasites.

ISP fascists have already started using customers wireless modem/routers, as public hotspots without notifying the customer of their actions, even though they charge the customer a monthly premium for a wireless modem/router. This use of the customers wireless modem/routers can impact the performance of the customers wireless network. The only way customers can stop this abuse is by first by determining they are victims of an ISP Parasite and then demanding the ISP stop. I am sure the ISP's will add language to their unilateral agreements authorizing ISP's to use customers wireless modem/routers unless the customer demands they stop such abuse. How long will it take for the ISP parasites start charging customers a fee if they refuse to allow use of their wireless modem/routers as public hotspots. I have not read any discussion where ISP's are offering to pay customers to use their electric power and physical space for public hotspots.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

opt IN

This might be nice if they bothered to explain to people that they could opt IN, instead of just doing it.

Would this also open up people to getting raided for something that happened on "their" connection, even if it was the "public" side of things?

"Hello, we're the feds, we need your router. Somebody did something with your connection" ... Grandma - "what?"

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Customers do not have a chance when attacked by ISP parasites.

These hotspots do not affect the EU's network. The EU runs on a private network over the same router. It's the same as a guest/private network on your own router. And this goes to even take and give the public hotspot a separate dedicated speed for those customers away from the EU.

And FYI- if you don't want to pay the price for a wireless modem from your provider- Best Buy and others sell them all day long- you're free to purchase your own

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Could I work out a Toll arrangement where Cablevision pays me

for all the usage that goes thru my Router by its customers?

Seems only fair to me!!

(Speaking generically, since I am NOT a Cablevision customer. Wouldn't it make a difference IF I bought my own Router, instead of a cableco issued router? And, if I have the option to turn the WiFi access on/off for other people, it seems that I should receive some compensation depending on my decision, and how it benefits the cableco!)

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:1
reply to ITGeeks

Seems secure enough if truly isolated. One possible issue could be interfering with the top tier access. That is, if you have say 100M and is max the modem can do, then may be possible public users could interfere. If you have 50M service with modem able to do 100M, then public users not likely to interfere. But can be turned off otherwise. Seems like a good way to grow the public network.

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

2 recommendations

What happens

What happens when someone uses the connection for something illegal and it gets traced back to my IP address? Does the SSID get its own IP? Also, then can't the subscriber use the public SSID to avoid caps?

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to Bob61571

Re: Could I work out a Toll arrangement where Cablevision pays me

It's not your router, it's their router.
Cablevision does not charge you for it.
If you're either paranoid, or don't bother to understand what's going on, you have the right to not accept their free router, then go out and purchase your own device that better suits your needs.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to vpoko

Re: What happens

The hotspot users are on a separate network. They have to authenticate using their own credentials.

It's no different than the cable company hanging a public hotspot on the cable strand outside your house.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Duluth, GA
reply to limegrass69

Is it the customer's wired connection that the router connects to?
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp

ieolus
Support The Clecs

Duluth, GA

2 recommendations

reply to limegrass69

Except for the part where your wired connection is being used.
--

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

2 recommendations

Except that it's not "your" connection. It's "their" connection that you pay to use. Any additional traffic on it doesn't affect "your" connection. Learn a little bit more about this stuff...
--
The goal of the broadcast engineer is to get all the meters on the transmitter to go as far to the right as possible!!

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium
Mukwonago, WI
reply to Mr Matt

ISP "fascists"? Hyperbole much?

Expand your moderator at work

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to amungus

Re: opt IN

No, those hotspots get separate wan ip

ieolus
Support The Clecs

Duluth, GA

2 recommendations

reply to GeekJedi

said by GeekJedi:

Except that it's not "your" connection. It's "their" connection that you pay to use. Any additional traffic on it doesn't affect "your" connection. Learn a little bit more about this stuff...

Is that a joke? Even wired connections are not unlimited. Enough wifi traffic can definitely impact your own use.
--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to ieolus

No, it is Cablevision's, and they do not charge customer anything for it.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

2 recommendations

reply to ieolus

Please educate before you spread FUD.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

Duluth, GA

4 recommendations

reply to MxxCon

Wow, you people have some sick views. No wonder companies can just run roughshod over people and they don't care to do anything about it. No wonder we have such shitty internet compared to the rest of the world.
--

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to existenz

The modems they are using and they have stated that the bandwidth that the EU pays for is NOT the same bandwidth that goes to the hotspot.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to MxxCon

Re: opt IN

and has a login page.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to ieolus

Why not? It's not the EU's modem/router? The same as they can change the settings on your setup box without a problem.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium
Mukwonago, WI
reply to ieolus

If you could support your assertion that this has any effect on your service, I'd love to listen. Go ahead...

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to ITGeeks

existenz is saying that if the modem has a limit that the customer is reaching on his own then how is this guest traffic that exceeds that limit prioritized? Does the customer's traffic get, ahem, Comcasted at the expense of the guest traffic?

These details aren't well known.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium
Mukwonago, WI
reply to ieolus

OK. So tell me what Cablevision is doing to prevent that? You don't know, do you.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

Duluth, GA

3 recommendations

reply to GeekJedi

I really don't care if you listen or not. Whether it is a separate radio on the wifi router or not, there is only one pipe leaving the house... any traffic that isn't your own will impact your service.
--

ieolus
Support The Clecs

Duluth, GA
reply to GeekJedi

said by GeekJedi:

OK. So tell me what Cablevision is doing to prevent that? You don't know, do you.

Prevent what?
--

infixed

join:2014-03-16
Melbourne, FL

4 recommendations

reply to limegrass69

said by limegrass69:

It's no different than the cable company hanging a public hotspot on the cable strand outside your house.

Wow. That would be rude, running an extension cord from the cable strand outside to plug into a customer's AC line, to power Cablevision's AP, to provide a commercial product, without asking that customer.

But at least the customer isn't providing rack space, environmental control and physical security, right?

shmerl

join:2013-10-21
reply to Mr Matt

Optimum doesn't force you to use their router. You can use your own and manage it yourself.

Expand your moderator at work