spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-13 09:00:33: Anonymous sources tell the Wall Street Journal that an AT&T acquisition of DirecTV could be announced in as little as two weeks. The insiders claim the deal will be worth around $48 billion, and AT&T will pay for the transaction primarily with stock. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

$50 billion?

How much fiber could AT&T sink into the ground with that kind of cash?

I'm seriously asking. What would it cost them to modernize their technology to FTTH in all of their markets; rural or not?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
They could have brought fiber to every household in America for less.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to ke4pym
The deal is WORTH $48B not they are going to spend $48B to buy them. If they had $48B laying around they would look for ways to spend it and fiber and wireless would likely be some of those ways.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

4 recommendations

Dear god I hope not....

I love DirecTv and their service, any involvement with AT&T just can't be good......

klineba

join:2010-08-30
Perrysville, OH
reply to ke4pym

Re: $50 billion?

$50 billion in stock is not the same as $50 billion in cash

wheelbarrow

join:2010-01-06
USA

Ugh

I guess I might not be seeing the whole picture here, but I don't see how this merger would make a lot of sense, at least from a technology standpoint.

From a consumer standpoint it would be a terrible idea.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
The day the deal is inked is the same day I become a new Dish customer...

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to ptrowski

Re: Dear god I hope so!

I hate Direcrap and their sportvices, any involvement with crApTT just can't be good for Direcrap... but great for Dish!

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to coldmoon

Re: Ugh

said by coldmoon:

"Welcome to the Dish Network!"

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to coldmoon
Hope you dont like Sports.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
reply to ptrowski

Re: Dear god I hope not....

Early prediction : ATT/DirecTV will then share NFL Sunday ticket with Verizon.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to coldmoon

said by coldmoon:

No you won't. I'd bet a good 95% of you people who make these empty threats on an internet message board never follow though. Just like when Comcast takes over Time Warner, almost none of the people on here crying about it will leave.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
I don't like at&t one bit but I'm not going out of my way to change unless they give me a reason to go.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to Happydude32
Those same people never do change. Remember how many people said several years ago they'd move to Canada and never did? This goes with everything. People will complain and cry but never do anything about it.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to ITALIAN926
Exactly, especially NY sports. Looks like I may have to look at Charter again(or will it be Comcr@p, since I will probably be dumped over to Comcr@p from Charter, when the TW merger goes through), depending on how badly AT&T screws up Directv, and make no mistake, AT&T WILL screw them up somehow. It's only a matter of time.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

said by coldmoon:

No you won't. I'd bet a good 95% of you people who make these empty threats on an internet message board never follow though. Just like when Comcast takes over Time Warner, almost none of the people on here crying about it will leave.

Consider me in the 5% who will. I loathe AT&T and I'm starting to plan out life w/o DirecTV. The only real question is do I race to watch the stuff I have recorded or just give up on catching up on shows I've not watched in 2 years but recorded.

HuskyC

@24.104.79.x
reply to ke4pym

The deal is in stock, not cash. That's the catch. It's easier to buy a company when it essentially costs you nothing.

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to Happydude32

I know I'll be looking elsewhere. Maybe not exactly when the deal hits, but soon after, when AT&T starts screwing it up.

I had the displeasure of having to deal with SBC back in the day living in CT(when they bought SNET), which is essentially what AT&T actually is... a rebranded SBC and they were a nightmare back then. I am not looking forward to having to deal with them again for anything.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
reply to Happydude32
Think what you will, but the fact remains that if AT&T merges with DTV, THIS decade plus DTV customer will be watching DISH in short order...
--
Quietzone - Protection you can trust!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

What about independent retailers

I hope this doesn't affect retailers like Solid Signal who sell DirecTV hardware to consumers who prefer to DIY install and not allow a hack job contractor to mess up their house. When I move to Maine, it's my Grandmother's house and I want to install it MY way, not some hack job installer's way. I take my time, fish wires through walls, and use wall plates. I don't drill holes in floors and pull the coax through and terminate it. I demand workman like work, something that most CATV/satellite installers don't possess.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to Chuck_IV

Well yes, SBC did rebrand as AT&T. That is well known. SBC bought AT&T and dropped the SBC brand.

And depending on the group/department you are working with depends on what your experience is with them. Business can be a great deal better, so is tier 2 and 3 support in the States if you can obtain that number for them.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Off Loading IP Video with Satellite Feed...

That's a pretty boneheaded idea. I think this is more about providing something to a lot of subs who are a block away from getting U-Verse or no hope of ever getting U-Verse because ATT doesn't want to invest in their network. They would be far-better served by investing less money to push fiber closer to most of their customer base. However, that would take years to grow revenue and this acquisition would add immediate revenue and probably enable an outgoing CEO to leave having grown the company and meet some specific bonus requirements.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

AT&T will screw this up....

Every 2 years, I bounce from Dish to DirecTV then back. I can say for certain, Direct has the better customer service, albeit still bad.

AT&T has about the worst customer service on the planet (behind Charter I'm told), so how long before DirectTV's service hits the sewer???
--
The proper way to break in a Harley: Grab a fist full of throttle, and ride it like you stole it!!!

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: What about independent retailers

I was actually very, very happy with my installers. They did a great job. Cleaned up their mess and put up with me giving them crap for not showing up with the pole on the first visit.

They didn't have to touch the wiring in my home because it was modern to begin with.

I wasn't about to drop $800 on hardware (and if you install it, you will drop that kinda coin) just because I was worried about the installers doing a bad job. The only thing left for me to do was to put the cable inside the pole and bury it the 4 feet to my demark box.

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
Reviews:
·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
·Frontier Communi..

How will AT&T provide bundled Internet service to...

all those millions of non-urban DirecTV customers(like me)?

•AT&T copper wireline DSL--for a small percentage. AT&T telco territory dictates that of course. In Illinois, AT&T only really serves large cities, not where most DirecTV customers live. AT&T has neglected its copper broadband DSL investment territory for many years. A large number of DirecTV customers live outside AT&T's wireline territory, so will AT&T work something out with dozens of ILEC's?? I can't see that.

•Satellite--possible. Bad reputation for internet speed, would need to replace millions of dishes to handle data. Would need to throw up more satellites in orbit for the demand. May be hoping for more technological advances in next few years.

•Fiber to the home or neighborhood--only for a small number. AT&T has been afraid to make ANY fiber investment outside of larger metro areas. I don't see them changing their mind.

•4G LTE--possible, but will cause slowdowns for the AT&T wireless network when lots of home internet customers start jumping on, with intense data demand.

•So, any ideas?

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

Deathstar

I live in a neighborhood where I have two choices for TV: satellite and uverse. DirecTV, which I use for TV has much better customer service. I tolerate AT&T because it is my only option for internet. I once had an at&t tech check out the cabling in my front yard when I first had it installed nd when I said hi and tried to ask him a question, he just looked up at me and then looked away, pretending I didn't exist. AT&T sucks.
--
isheavenforreal.com

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to wheelbarrow

said by wheelbarrow:

I guess I might not be seeing the whole picture here, but I don't see how this merger would make a lot of sense, at least from a technology standpoint.

From a consumer standpoint it would be a terrible idea.

That's easy.

The ADSL2+ flavor of "U-verse" isn't fast enough to carry full-featured TV service. If they own a satellite company, they can offer TV to more of their footprint without rolling out FTTx. They already partner with DirecTV for these cases.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
reply to biochemistry

Re: Deathstar

said by biochemistry:

I live in a neighborhood where I have two choices for TV: satellite and uverse. DirecTV, which I use for TV has much better customer service. I tolerate AT&T because it is my only option for internet. I once had an at&t tech check out the cabling in my front yard when I first had it installed nd when I said hi and tried to ask him a question, he just looked up at me and then looked away, pretending I didn't exist. AT&T sucks.

Sounds like that guys sucks....

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to KrK

They can pay cash to do it without even spending it all with their quarterly profits.

They couldn't lay it fast enough to burn through it.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

Oldest Rule of Business

Before you go under -Expand - Helps in cooking books