dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-13 18:36:33: As part of the company's continued push into connected vehicles, AT&T has announced that they've struck a deal with GM that will bring AT&T LTE service to GM vehicles, including thirty-different Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles by the end .. ..

bigballer
@205.214.216.x

bigballer

Anon

What's the point of this again?

I mean, I get it. Connected refrigerators, microwaves, washers, dryers, etc etc.

But this? That's an awful deal. $10 dollars for 200 mb of data? I can eat that playing pandora so easily

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy

Re: What's the point of this again?

It certainly is an awful deal. I get 500MB of 3G/4G data for 4.99 per month with Freedompop (or free if you want 4G only). Also, who would want this in their car? It's a bad idea to make it easier for people to drive distracted.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to bigballer

Premium Member

to bigballer
said by bigballer :

I mean, I get it. Connected refrigerators, microwaves, washers, dryers, etc etc.

You are way beyond me, not sure WHY you would need the internet to tell you your TV dinner is done or your tighty-whities are as fresh as they are ever going to get.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to bigballer

to bigballer
It's the time of the internet of things. Where you can pay a bunch of money to companies for everything to connect to everything else. Point is, just give them more money!

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

How many people will add $30 a month,

to their car payment for this?
whether a soccer mom or the vanpool driver I can't see tying the access to the car vs a stand alone hotspot tucked in the glove box that could be moved to the motor home for a trip or the other carpool cars in rotation IF group access is even that important.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Re: How many people will add $30 a month,

Agreed but I'll go even further. Why pay for a stand-alone hot spot? Everyone that wants one has a smartphone that can act as a hotspot. Who leaves their phone at home when they get in the car?

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

Warning: Vehicle must be stopped and parking brake must be engaged

I can't wait to see how they hobble this one.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: Warning: Vehicle must be stopped and parking brake must be engaged

How about auto braking if you use it? seems like a recall in the making.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

Re: Warning: Vehicle must be stopped and parking brake must be engaged

Next product design team I form, you're the lead.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to nothing00

Premium Member

to nothing00
modchip
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb

This is all

In prep to get us ready for the self driving cars that they'll be cramming down our throats soon enough.

I am interested to see how long it will take before I even entertain the idea of having or using an LTE connected infotainment system. The shit drives me nuts

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Re: This is all

How about self-driving demo derby?
there is a "sport" that could go year round, carry it own on demand channel. and REALLY test crash safety systems like never before, with minimal expensive personal, coaching, and off season problems.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

no

No way in hell.. For the GM cars I mean I like att's wireless service, but this pricing is just stupid.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

Reason to avoid a car manufacturer

If the manufacturers insist on signing exclusive deals and I do not like the carrier, then that is reason to look for a different car. The ideal solution will be a car that can connect to the carrier of your choice including MVNO's.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

How much do I pay if I don't want it?

Obviously to enable this costs money per vehicle. If I don't want it how much does it add to the base cost of the package that includes it? Kind of like the SiriusXM in other cars. I want the convenience package but not all the other bloat that the package includes that I don't want but still adds to the price of the car. It's getting like Cable TV for cars. No Ala Carte.
stridr69
join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

stridr69

The Future...

"we're sorry, but we've detected that your (insert car model here) has NOT been returned to the dealer to have(whatever f-/:;,! defect) corrected. Therefore the next time the ignition is switched off this vehicle WILL NOT START until the aforementioned defect has been corrected. Have a nice day, and thanks for purchasing your ( whatever GM product).
And people thought that MyFordTouch was jacked up!