spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-14 08:44:27: When AT&T first launched their 1 Gbps (which is still actually 300 Mbps, but whatever) "Gigapower" service in Austin late last year in response to Google Fiber, the company's pricing raised a few eyebrows. ..

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

3 recommendations

I think we need to do some research

Let's find someone who picked Gigapower over Google Fiber and interview em.

Perhaps have a local psychiatrist on call too.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
And will be interesting to see if ATT can really sustain near a Gbit to every customer when fully deployed. They will apparently be sharing neighborhoods on shared 2.5Gb GPON while Google is doing some kind of WDM-PON hybrid that sustains fairly close to Gbit under heavy neighborhood loads, even with allowing up to 8 DVR recordings at once.

There's a difference between delivering a solid Gbit network vs just a Gbit link rate.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

It's more than clever

A more appropriate word is insidious.

adjective

1.intended to entrap or beguile: an insidious plan.
2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful: an insidious enemy.
3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease.
Origin:
1535 45 Latin inside ;sus deceitful, equivalent to insidi ( ae ) (plural) an ambush
--
Let them eat FIBER!

MacMan

@216.23.16.x

2 recommendations

Curious

So I'm curious... If I use an encrypted VPN service would the deep packet inspection even allow them to see anything other than my "vpn" connection? It shouldn't allow them to see the traffic I'm passing inside that VPN connection. Wonder if they can't see anything other than VPN traffic if they'd slow you down for "working" the system.

existenz

reply to gaforces

Re: It's more than clever

And they use sophistry to try to convince public they are delivering same level of service.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 recommendation

Yes, and IMO they will use deep packet inspection regardless if you pay or not.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

VPN

I would take the cheap offer and use a VPN.

existenz

But then you only get performance of the VPN service, of which most are not much.

raydsltech

join:2004-07-04
Concord, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Pigs in the trough

This is what happens when there is nothing but a monopoly. No other industry with the slightest bit of competition would get away with something like this. Go to you favorite grocery store, pay with cash, and use no 'bonus type card' basically remain anonymous. At check out the clerk tags on and extra 19 fee because they do not know who you are and cant sell your purchasing history to companies.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to MacMan

Re: Curious

That is the point of a VPN TO keep out snoopers.. They would know where your packets are going (to the tunnel endpoint) but that is about it.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to existenz

Re: I think we need to do some research

Well it's not a gig, but some typical AT&T fluff, it's 300 and I can get that or more today (of course for a highly inflated price) in my hood.

I think it's good, because now we have an idea of the retail amount that an ISP can make over snooping on your every move, $30. So I should call up Verizon and tell them I want a $30 discount for them snooping on my line...

utlonghorn34

join:2012-12-20
Austin, TX
reply to existenz
Probably not - in the evening, I'm seeing ~ 15Mbps down, ~ 150Mbps up.

I will say that during the day, it is indeed 300/300 (the upstream is really handy for Remote Desktop and the like).

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

Poor marketing

The service should have been sold at the fair market price point without the privacy invasion on by default. Then the option to reduce your monthly bill could have been introduced after the fact with the deep packet inspection feature. I know it is a simple shell game, but enabling deep packet inspection by default and forcing the customer to opt-out at a cost is definitely not the ethical approach. It is shady and underhanded. Of course, everyone would still bellyache about the base price being more than Google. Oh well... the economics would eventually work itself out where they have market overlap with the competition.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 edit

"installation and activation" vs. "construction"

Just sayin', to me, there really isn't a semantic difference between "installation and activation fee" and "construction fee." GF does indeed charge for installation: »support.google.com/fiber/answer/···18?hl=en (maybe not the same in all markets, as the Provo one shows $30, while the KC one shows $300 but struck through, implying they have waived it).

EDIT: so the point is, if you want to be accurate, you cannot state that GF does not have an installation/activation fee.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
Google only charges 'install' fee for the 'free' 5/1 connection in single family homes. They call it a 'home improvement' fee - if someone else later moves into same home, they don't have the install fee. Those going straight to TV|Gbit do not have an install fee but has contract (unless buying the equipment).

For multiunit buildings, the building owner/condo assoc pays the $300 fee for every unit but they get $300+ back for each unit that upgrades to TV|Gbit. Either a building has Gfiber available in every unit, or not at all.

In Provo, it's $30 if home already wired from who previous muni operator but not sure about new fiber installs.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to raydsltech

Re: Pigs in the trough

Wrong, its more like with card is 2/5.00 without card its 2.99 each. you'll pay a 98 cent premium to not be tracked on that item, assuming you paid with cash.

coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Mike

Right now? It's probably related to the fact that GigaPower is deployed and Google Fiber is still in the planning phase. I imagine from the perspective of the people that can get it, it's a good deal compared to "not having Internet" too, given that Google hasn't actually deployed anything in Austin yet, and AT&T has. »fiber.google.com/cities/austin/

Is there anything in Google Fiber's ToS that they are or aren't doing any kind of "snoopvertising"?

This: »fiber.google.com/legal/privacy.html reads to me like even if they're not going to try associating URLs with your Google Fiber account, they give themselves permission to have that data available, or associate it with your connection.

From my perspective, $110/mo for a 300/300 connection is an exceedingly good deal, especially if there isn't deep packet inspection, and it is available in my area.

The GigaPower and Google Fiber products look really similar to me, other than the price differential. I don't see why you'd need a psychiatrist on hand to see why somebody might want GigaPower. It's the same reason people want any fast fiber-based network connection.

raydsltech

join:2004-07-04
Concord, NC
reply to OSUGoose

It almost paying protection money. 'Wouldn't it be a shame if someone got a hold of all you internet browsing. Yeah wouldn't that be a shame.'

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to utlonghorn34

WTF? You're only getting 15 down on 300 meg service? That's pathetic.

TKJunkMail
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to MacMan

Re: Curious

I'd be surprised if you could find many VPN services that offer 300Mbs of bandwidth, let alone a gig.

MacMan

@216.23.16.x
I currently use Private Internet Access and have great speeds. I'm on a 50Meg connection now and am able to pull very awesome speeds, but gig or 300 might be questionable.

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL
reply to existenz

Re: "installation and activation" vs. "construction"

only from comcrap oh wait i meant att. sorry could not tell the different

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

curiouser & curiouser

It would be fun to see 100% of your traffic routing through an encrypted VPN...
of course pushing the price up.. so, in the end why wouldn't you choose google fiber which seems less intrusive in the FIRST place..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlEFqR4SaVA

Want to trust AT&T?

toejam

join:2013-06-14
San Jose, CA
reply to raydsltech

My feeling is that the store has already added in the cost for those who do not sign up for their 'rewards club' and they simply remove this cost if you enter your info.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to rolande

Re: Poor marketing

Ethical? When has at&t ever been ethical?

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to tmc8080

Re: curiouser & curiouser

said by tmc8080:

It would be fun to see 100% of your traffic routing through an encrypted VPN...
of course pushing the price up.. so, in the end why wouldn't you choose google fiber which seems less intrusive in the FIRST place..

(youtube clip)
to trust AT&T?

As funny as that clip is, the truth is that every ISP, Comcast, Time warner cable, AT&T, Verizon and google know and can see every thing you have done if it was not encrypted.

So just pay the 70 dollars because well AT&T is going to do it anyways just like google and the others.

Or don't buy the service in protest because well AT&T is worse because it called AT&T. Don't mind it's other half Verizon that was a "baby bell" or google who lives and dies by ads.
--
For those who chose there own fears over liberty will only dig them self's deeper into the pit of darkness. For those who chose to blame tools over each other for wrong doing, it will only lead to madness. -Unknown

s0m3f00l

join:2014-04-25
USA

DNS???

Why wouldn't you just use a different DNS and be done with it?