spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-14 14:34:28: The writing has pretty clearly been on the wall as Comcast slowly but surely has expanded their usage-cap trials throughout less competitive Southern markets. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

That's too low

That "cap" has been the same for the last several years.

NoCapNow

@50.182.54.x

There is no cap now; probably won't ever have one

There is no cap right now at all and in all probability won't be one in 5 yrs either. If Google expands as they claim, the competitive heat will prevent Comcast from applying caps. And they can always kick off their system, now and also then, users who go bonkers and transfer terabytes of data without having specific caps. The TOS allow them to boot any users detrimental to the system as a whole.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

8 recommendations

interesting. wonder how you'd explain the ~$300 in overages on my last residential comcast bill?

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to NoCapNow
said by NoCapNow :

If Google expands as they claim

What do you know about Google's plans that I've missed? Could Google really be in a position to have 30% of subscribers covered in five years?

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Of course, there's going to be a cap.

Anyone with two neurons to rub together realizes that the cap is the way that Comcast will keep the cost of cutting the cord artificially high, thereby creating an artificially high barrier for those who want to cut the cord.

If Comcast HSI were separate from Comcast/Universal/NBC, then you'd see Comcast HSI doing everything they could to entice cord cutters away from the cable TV providers.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

11 recommendations

Comcast can meter...

as soon as they consent to being regulated as a utility.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

4 recommendations

reply to jjeffeory

Re: That's too low

And he generously envisions a 150GB increase in 5 years?! Guy is completely out of touch with the product, just sees it as a black-box money-extractor

tlp95129

join:2007-07-30
San Jose, CA

6 recommendations

Variablize??

What kind of garbage bizspeak is that? I think the word he was looking for was "monetize".

battleop

join:2005-09-28

I welcome caps from Comcast....

I'm 100% for anything that makes my competition suck more!

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to nothing00

Re: There is no cap now; probably won't ever have one

Could they? Yes, will they? Who knows. I guess it depends on if they get bored with the project. In the end Google really does not want to be an ISP. They just want to pressure other ISPs into building faster networks so Google customers can get to Google faster.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

1 recommendation

This means you too TWC subs will

have caps!

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
"you're welcome"

masterbinky

join:2011-01-06
Carlsbad, NM

That grain of salt....

That grain of salt you speak of is called a 4lb salt lick.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Doubt It

There is no reason for any caps now. The FCC is giving the providers full permission to discriminate however they see fit when it comes to service. If an online video service is taking any business away, Comcast can simply demand payment and put them in a faster, cap-free lane or disrupt this service to keep customers from being able to use them.

Regardless, with zero regulations to worry about, Comcast has many avenues to get their unfair share of profits from any entity that offers a similar product at a reasonable cost to consumers. Consumers can either go live in a cave, or continue using the internet services from Comcast. Some choice we have.

Twaddle

@71.81.195.x

Comcast sucks end of discussion

These cretins lie through their teeth and Washington knows it and turns a blind eye. I had Comcast in California but dumped them after getting bi-annual rate increases with absolutely NO benefit although the date increases were "supposed" to pay for service and product upgrades. Once they get their market into a no win situation with their lies to Washington, they will "monetize" everything so that only Comcast is a winner. I do not and will not support their efforts to take over Time Warner as they are consorting with Charter as well to bend the markets over and raping them with their rates.

Mystic95Z

join:2005-05-10
Sellersburg, IN

1 recommendation

Just Say No...

FU Comcast, here's to hoping your merger with TW fails horribly.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI

1 recommendation

this is not true UBB

and it never will be. its the base rate+ overages, and your base rate will not go down if all you do is check your email. This is a rip off. Not to mention that caps have been proven to do nothing about congestion.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

reply to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

interesting. wonder how you'd explain the ~$300 in overages on my last residential comcast bill?

With business class having no caps at only about a $15 difference in cost, I would ask why you are dealing with worrying about overages.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nightfall:

said by train_wreck:

With business class having no caps at only about a $15 difference in cost, I would ask why you are dealing with worrying about overages.

i am on business class. my "last" residential bill was about 2 years ago.

And the difference for me was actually about ~$30/month. And i had to sign a 3-year contract. And i can't have TV service with business class since i'm at a residence & for some stupid reason they don't allow that, so if i wanted TV i would have to have both residential and business accounts.

thanks comcast.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to NoCapNow
tell that to my co-worker who got calls and texts about his usage being in the 90% already this day of the month.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 recommendation

Not Quite

As usual, Karl took a lot of liberty with the transcript:

"if you may be [sic] predict today, I would predict that in 5 years Comcast at least would have a usage-based billing model rolled out across its footprint".

That's a prediction at a conference, not a assurance, and it doesn't mean mandatory "low caps and steep overage charges", but lower rates for the 80% who use less.

Mind you, if y'all weren't insisting on "neutrality" and bashing paid prioritization, Netflix or its equivalent could easily buy out any "cap" on your behalf, or deliver its content off-net, but as the adage goes, "Be careful what you wish for."

anon1587

@50.188.155.x
reply to jjeffeory

Re: That's too low

250GB since 2009 when it was conjured up. So it's 5 years from then where is this 500GB cap you're implementing in "test" markets Cohen?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to train_wreck

said by train_wreck:

said by Nightfall:

said by train_wreck:

And the difference for me was actually about ~$30/month. And i had to sign a 3-year contract. And i can't have TV service with business class since i'm at a residence & for some stupid reason they don't allow that, so if i wanted TV i would have to have both residential and business accounts.

thanks comcast.

I would call Comcast back if I were you. I know many others that have TV and comcast business class internet without any issues. Things are a lot different today than when you signed your deal a couple years ago.
--

Probitas

@206.248.154.x

Riiiggghht

Because a merged company that creates content and controls how it can be viewed won't do anything to prevent their customers from opting for cheaper avenues over their infrastructure. Damn straight caps will be low to prevent streaming (they'll offer something that won't impact their own customers usage to try to look like the care, but again, it will be a low cap overall).

Does anyone believe this won't happen.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 recommendation

reply to elray

Re: Not Quite

said by elray:

As usual, Karl took a lot of liberty with the transcript:

"if you may be [sic] predict today, I would predict that in 5 years Comcast at least would have a usage-based billing model rolled out across its footprint".

That's a prediction at a conference, not a assurance, and it doesn't mean mandatory "low caps and steep overage charges", but lower rates for the 80% who use less.

Mind you, if y'all weren't insisting on "neutrality" and bashing paid prioritization, Netflix or its equivalent could easily buy out any "cap" on your behalf, or deliver its content off-net, but as the adage goes, "Be careful what you wish for."

I would also like to add there is nothing in there saying that caps are going nationwide after the trials are over. Quite frankly, I would assume that is the case, but that plan hasn't been verified by anyone yet. We don't even know when its going to happen.

I have no problems with the news that this site has on the page. There are some issues I have with the "spin" of certain stories. Some of them remind me of Fox News.
--
Expand your moderator at work

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

tedius tightening of the SCREWS to the customers..

And you want THIS company to get BIGGER?!?!?!?
Hmm.....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnvS7kM4Fs

all the while, as it is you have NO choices in many markets (bad choice #1 & worse choice #2 marketing DSL don't count)

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nightfall

i actually checked a few months ago when i installed BCI for a client of mine. The rule (around here) is, Comcast will only let you install TV service on business class if you have a conference or waiting room in the primary facility. others from my area (a few from the comcast forum here, actually) confirm this.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

said by Nightfall:

said by train_wreck:

thanks comcast.

another member NetFixer See Profile have both resi and biz just for that same reason.

I have biz class too but no TV since I've gone OTA 2.5 years now. Kids have learned to stream movies and tv shows with what's available at our disposal.

Don't miss cable or satellite!

train_wreck

Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
he was the one i was referring to, actually

yeah i maybe could have gotten them to do it if i had pressed harder, like maybe our living room could qualify as a "waiting room" lol. but i have absolutely no desire for TV service.