spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-15 16:29:30: Earlier this week we discussed new revelations that the NSA has routinely been "intercepting" U.S. made servers and networking gear pre-export, and installing covert surveillance technology inside. ..

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

What kind of data do these 'beacons' send?

What information are these beacons sending? I think that would be very interesting to see.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

1 recommendation

I suppose

In order to make certain that there are no such routers, servers, etc. Cisco COULD put together an international task force that would inspect them on site, starting with those that are most likely to be targets of such spying and announce their findings to the world... or they could just do nothing and stay on good terms with the spooks and pray no one else does that. I wonder which way they will go... Hmm...

Maybe Huawei could put together such a task force to inspect Cisco equipment. Would be a great PR feather in their cap if they found something. lol

--
"when the people have suffered many abuses under the control of a totalitarian leader, they not only have the right but the duty to overthrow that government." - The U.S. Declaration of Independence

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Maybe on a small scale.

I.E. they have been monitoring someones communications they know that a router or server has been ordered and they intercept it and bug it before it's sent on it's way. Maybe they intercept on some specific destinations. All of this is possible on a small scale. I can't see where it's possible to intercept every single router, switch, and server that's leaving the US.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Probitas

@206.248.154.x

So does that include Canada

We are international to the US, does this mean all CISCO products coming to Canada have been bugged by the NSA? Maybe I should switch companies. Because while I believe CISCO would never weaken the ability of their product to perform, I do not doubt one second that if it were profitable and they were under Executive Order, that they would certainly assist in making their foreign products more spy friendly.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to meeeeeeeeee

Re: I suppose

Especially since Cisco does own Meraki now and their cloud based line.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY
reply to battleop

Re: Maybe on a small scale.

said by battleop:

I.E. they have been monitoring someones communications they know that a router or server has been ordered and they intercept it and bug it before it's sent on it's way. Maybe they intercept on some specific destinations. All of this is possible on a small scale. I can't see where it's possible to intercept every single router, switch, and server that's leaving the US.

It IS possible, they have the $ and resources to do it, but it would be silly and impractical so I'm sure it's being done strategically. I doubt the spooks really care what traffic every coffee shop/ Internet cafe in Moscow handles. Specific ones, maybe.
--
"when the people have suffered many abuses under the control of a totalitarian leader, they not only have the right but the duty to overthrow that government." - The U.S. Declaration of Independence

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to Probitas

Re: So does that include Canada

3rd party firmware would correct that
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Corrected title: "Cisco Denies 'Helping' NSA Weaken Their Routers..."

All major companies are going to do the government's bidding, whether they like it or not.

Cisco, like Google, is just wise enough to ensure they have plausible deniability.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to Anonymous_

Re: So does that include Canada

said by Anonymous_:

3rd party firmware would correct that

Say that conditionally. OpenSSL wasn't utopia, and it was open source for the whole world to examine.

No system is 100% secure. (not even one that's unplugged)

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to Anonymous_
There are 3rd party IOS replacements for Cisco routers? And people would actually pay top dollars for Cisco hardware (not talking about Linksys here) just to run non-Cisco code?

wispalord

join:2007-09-20
Farmington, MO
reply to meeeeeeeeee

Re: Maybe on a small scale.

that's right the $16 trillion were in debt went somewhere for something

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to bmccoy

Re: What kind of data do these 'beacons' send?

im guessing its full access VPN to the network, which is what the article makes it sound like. Either way, if Cisco does not deny this, then its the death of their business anywhere. They have to deny it, even if they are helping.

Jcink

join:2005-12-19
none
Not only that, if they are helping, they are likely bound by agreement to not speak of it ever.