spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-20 12:06:03: As expected, AT&T has taken the wraps off of their Cricket prepaid wireless brand, after acquiring Cricket and parent company Leap Wireless in a $1.2 billion deal last July. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

As an AT&T post paid customer..

I plan on switching to Cricket. I am currently on the Mobile Share Value plan sharing 2 GB of data between three phones. I'm paying around $140 a month after taxes & fees. I could switch to the $50/$40/$40 plans and after a group save discount of $30 I would be saving $40 a month for the same service. I realize LTE data is throttled to 8 Mbps but that does not bother me whatsoever on a cell connection.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

I just called as I am on AIO and now Cricket. They will allow me to change to the $50 (I am on AIO $55/mnth UnlimitedVoice/UnlimitedText/1GB data) when I pay up next month. And if I auto pay, I can save another $5/month (not sure I want that.. I like making the payment monthly.. not a big deal and via my phone/CC). Enjoy as I've been happy so far.
--
Splat

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL

I've heard great things about AIO so I'm confident in the transfer. Since I am transferring three lines, any suggestions on how to get that done smoothly?

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

I'm on the fence

I am thinking about switching from straight talk but I have no idea if I should or not. After this one to you is the date is still usable. On straight talk after you use your data you basically have a very expensive paperweight.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

$50 for 2.5GB of Data?

Straight Talk's $45/month unlimited talk/text/data* was recently upgraded to 3GB/month.

Does anyone know if the Cricket plans include tethering?

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jchambers28

Re: I'm on the fence

said by jchambers28:

I am thinking about switching from straight talk but I have no idea if I should or not. After this one to you is the date is still usable. On straight talk after you use your data you basically have a very expensive paperweight.

The data is throttled after you go over your limit on AIO/Cricket. Also, the data portion works MUCH better with AIO/Cricket. Data is unusable much of the time with straight talk.

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to rradina

Re: $50 for 2.5GB of Data?

said by rradina:

Straight Talk's $45/month unlimited talk/text/data* was recently upgraded to 3GB/month.

Does anyone know if the Cricket plans include tethering?

No tethering, but I can tell you first hand that the data works much better with AIO.

wilbarger

join:2001-06-06
Quinlan, TX

And tethering works fine if you bring your own phone (Android). Not sure about Apple.
--
Legalize Freedom

agsaguy

@107.131.105.x
reply to gigahurtz

Re: As an AT&T post paid customer..

Do it all online, they will charge you $25/line to do it in a store. When you do it online, they will "pre-authorize" the number port from your carrier. Once is pre-authorized thats when you'll be able to check out and purchase the SIM or phone. The actual port doesn't occur until you receive and activate your new SIM/phone. I just did this a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly. Do not, however, purchase a new sim/phone with a new phone number and call to port in your old number. They have this bogus policy where you can't port in a number to an already active SIM card, so they'll want you to pay another $10 for a new sim card as well as start a new plan.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to wilbarger

I would be interested to know if personal hotspot works on the iPhone. It would be convenient for me with my wifi iPad when I travel.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to gigahurtz

You should take a look @ H2Owireless/Black wireless. They have family plans that are much cheaper, or go to Straighttalk/Net10 which is LTE. I had issues w/ Straighttalk (their proxy sucks the life out of data and does massive traffic shaping) but H20 is only $27 for all in and 500Mb for the rents. No taxes.

The only gotcha on H2O is it's hard stop. You hit your cap, and you get shut off or you have "buffer" credits that one can continue. You could however for the same price get 1GB versus 500 on Cricket.

The nice thing about prepaid is that you can move anytime you want.

I will say that the "3G" on H2O was averaging 5+ Mbps which if you are crazy enough can stream Netflix/Youtube without issue. For anything else you cannot tell the difference, and I was testing next to Nexus 4 (H20) next to my iPhone 5S on Verizon LTE. The one thing I noticed is how much nicer the Nexus form factor is, but aside from that webpages, video, etc all perform pretty much on par.

Also the 3G radios use less power than LTE, so the Nexus4 now can go over 2 days without a recharge. Almost unthinkable over a year ago.

In any case porting if you are already on AT&T happens really fast (it took 30min for mine).

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to gigahurtz

Tethering is strictly prohibited on all of the AT&T MVNO, including cricket. YMMV. At one point ST was cracking down on this, via AT&T. If you do it occasionally, maybe you get away with it, but be aware if they cut you off for ToS abuse, you could lose your phone #. Not sure how precious that is to you, but that was happening to lots of people when AT&T/ST were cracking down on tethering.

They are starting to offer hotspots for decent money, but obviously not as easy as tethering to a phone.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to elefante72

I have my father and grandfather on H2O. Their $10/200 minutes plan that expires after 90 days is great for them! I cut their bills down quite a bit from what I was paying for them.

The LTE vs HSPA+ is what concerns me. The 4G coverage in my area isn't all that great and the speeds aren't very fast. I guess I could take a look again and see what can be done to save some more money. I would love to see LTE come to H2O but I doubt that will happen.

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
Norwalk, CT
reply to gigahurtz

said by gigahurtz:

I plan on switching to Cricket. I am currently on the Mobile Share Value plan sharing 2 GB of data between three phones. I'm paying around $140 a month after taxes & fees.

That monthly rate sounds quite high.

Are you on no-contract pricing? I can share 10 gigs with 2 lines on AT&T MSV for about $120-125 after taxes & fees.

broadbandmav

Norwalk, CT

Limited Nation-wide coverage

Click for full size
Keep in mind that there's no domestic roaming like with postpaid AT&T coverage. Look at the huge coverage gaps in states like Nebraska.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to broadbandmav

On AT&T's website, sharing 10 GB of data between two lines on MSV plans is $130 a month before taxes.

You must be receiving a discount through your employer that is allowing you to get it at $120-125 after taxes/fees.

»www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-p···GD61GKai

voipguy

join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY

This Cricket walks like a Duck

Gee, this seems remarkably similar to the plan on the AT&T GO PHONE:

»www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophon···0gwDD2st

$25 and $40 are the same, and $60 gets you 2.5 GB more data (Cricket or AiO vs. GoPhone)

How many different names can you put on the same product?

broadbandmav

Norwalk, CT
reply to gigahurtz

Correct. Are you able to take advantage of any corporate discounts?
$140 is an awful lot for 2 gigs. Not criticizing, just want to help.

broadbandmav

Norwalk, CT
reply to voipguy

Re: This Cricket walks like a Duck

Completely different product from GoPhone. GoPhone is AT&T's "premium" tier for prepaid while Cricket is now the lower end.

The $60 GoPhone plan supports native tethering, data isn't routed through a proxy (Cricket/Aio has higher latency), and you get full-speed HSPA+ and LTE.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to broadbandmav

No worries, I appreciate the help.

I actually have a discount from a previous employer (I'm now self employed) so I am getting a 17% discount and my bill is actually $130 after taxes/fees for 2 GB of data for 3 lines. We actually rarely go over, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it while paying less.

I've been with AT&T since 1999 and overall I'm pleased with their improvements in their network. I tried T-Mobile recently which my parents used while traveling abroad for the free international data and I wasn't impressed with their coverage here at all.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to broadbandmav

Re: Limited Nation-wide coverage

That's a great point, although I never plan on traveling through Nebraska From what I can see, most of the holes in coverage is in the midwest.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to broadbandmav

I've heard rumblings that AT&T plans to shudder it's GoPhone line and essentially give that access to Cricket. It seems redundant to have two prepaid models and a postpaid model.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

They have family plans that are much cheaper, or go to Straighttalk/Net10 which is LTE. I had issues w/ Straighttalk (their proxy sucks the life out of data and does massive traffic shaping)

Never had data issues with ST. Ya, their phones suck, but you can get the SIM/MicroSIM card and find a better phone (mine's a Note II).

broadbandmav

Norwalk, CT

1 edit
reply to gigahurtz

Possible off-contract plan suggestion:

10 gig Mobile Share Value = $100 - $17 (employer discount) = $83
Smartphone access ($15) x 3 lines = $45

Total: $128 before taxes and fees

Note: Being self-employed, you could also try the organization discount from the Freelancers Union (which I believe is 22%). I think it's free to join.

»www.freelancersunion.org/discoun···t-and-t/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to gigahurtz

Agreed. at&t has picked "One name" for all it's pre-paid options I believe and will consolidate all offerings under that name.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to broadbandmav

I thought about that, it would be approximately $10 more per month than what I'm paying currently ($140). I would save $40/mo switching to Cricket and I really can't think of a reason not too (?)

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
reply to broadbandmav

Thank you for the information on freelancersunion. I am currently chatting with AT&T now to see if I can get this applied to my account.

wilbarger

join:2001-06-06
Quinlan, TX
reply to elefante72

Taking my own Google Edition S4 with NEVER having any ATT spyware on it has never caused me any problem with tethering. It is extremely unlikely they would ever take the time to sniff out the different IP.
--
Legalize Freedom

zipjay

join:2003-03-11
South Williamson, KY

metropcs

I wonder if their plans will beat metropcs byod $60 unlimited everything plan. It's unlimited and unthrottled LTE.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to wilbarger

Don't be so sure about that...