dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-20 12:06:03: As expected, AT&T has taken the wraps off of their Cricket prepaid wireless brand, after acquiring Cricket and parent company Leap Wireless in a $1.2 billion deal last July. ..

prev · 1 · 2

robbyglack
@50.243.146.x

robbyglack to gigahurtz

Anon

to gigahurtz

Re: As an AT&T post paid customer..

said by gigahurtz:

I have my father and grandfather on H2O. Their $10/200 minutes plan that expires after 90 days is great for them! I cut their bills down quite a bit from what I was paying for them.

The LTE vs HSPA+ is what concerns me. The 4G coverage in my area isn't all that great and the speeds aren't very fast. I guess I could take a look again and see what can be done to save some more money. I would love to see LTE come to H2O but I doubt that will happen.

on h2o $40 plan and higher you should be able to get LTE, you may need a new SIM if yours is from a very old batch.

wilbarger
join:2001-06-06
Quinlan, TX

wilbarger to rradina

to rradina

Re: $50 for 2.5GB of Data?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I have never had any problem except for the one time I was using an ATT phone that I had not wiped and installed a full AOSP ROM on.

So, you are saying you have been caught, or can site a case where a clean phone has been identified?

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to robbyglack

Premium Member

to robbyglack

Re: As an AT&T post paid customer..

Nope, H2O doesn't offer LTE speeds. They've confirmed it on their Twitter account.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium

$20/month for unlimited talk and text (after auto bill discount) isn't bad at all. Probably closer to $40 or $50 with "fees" and such, though.
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

unoriginal

Premium Member

If you mean the new Cricket plans since they are prepaid that's one of the advantages. All the fees and taxes are included in the price already. Have you seen anyone offering a prepaid plan that has below the line fees? I sure havent.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

Moto G

»www.cricketwireless.com/ ··· o-g.html

How many apps can this phone hold? I have an iPhone 4 and I currently have 37 apps and this phone capacity is 6.2GB and I have 2.8 GB left.
ryderuntil
join:2001-01-31
Mocksville, NC

ryderuntil

Regarding gophone

I wonder if they will merge gophone. I ran away from straight talk into the arms of gophone and have been 100% satisfied. if you have an issue you talk to ATT's best tech support. stream, hotspot, call forward, visual voice mail and the list goes on. you can buy a gophone card at walmart for unlimited talk, text and 1 gig of data for $45. yes only at walmart $45. they will even unlock your postpaid phone when its time. perfect.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to wilbarger

to wilbarger

Re: $50 for 2.5GB of Data?

My son is on T-Mobile and he rooted his phone to enable hot spot. Within minutes after enabling it, T-Mobile sent him a text message regarding a TOS violation. If T-Mobile can do it, AT&T can do it. Do they? I have no idea but my comment was "don't be so sure about that..."

Regarding packet inspection, all Internet access is proxied so they can cache popular sites and reduce backbone congestion. This is totally transparent but it does allow them to track what sites you visit. If your phone suddenly starts sending browser cookies that identify a desktop browser and sites don't redirect to their mobile versions, it's a dead giveaway a non-phone device is using their network.

If you make sure you only browse HTTPS or you use a VPN to a secure proxy, you might be safe but there used to be other ways to detect a Windows device. TCP conversations rely on packet sequence numbers. In the past it was possible to sniff packet sequence numbers and determine if the client was Unix or Windows simply because the two network stacks generated predictable sequence numbers.

In closing, if AT&T wants to catch folks tethering when their TOS doesn't allow it, they can probably do so unless you are extremely careful and keep your traffic encrypted.

Quite frankly I think it's ridiculous when you have a CAP that they care how you use it. In fact, if the FCC had any balls, it would be illegal to discriminate how one uses the bytes their plan provides. Perhaps one day it won't matter but today, apparently it does and clearly there are no consumer protections that make it illegal.
zipjay
join:2003-03-11
South Williamson, KY

zipjay

Metropcs

T-Mobile's Metropcs has them beat.. $60 unlimited everything including unlimited LTE without throttling
prev · 1 · 2