spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-20 14:09:55: For years DirecTV has paid billions for the exclusive, out of market rights for NFL games, allowing the company to offer every game via their costly Sunday Ticket option. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Kett2000
Premium
join:2002-04-23
Sunnyvale, CA

Attempted take over of At&t (sp. DirecTV)

Karl the text "Interestingly, AT&T has included a provision in their attempted takeover of AT&T" should be "Interestingly, AT&T has included a provision in their attempted takeover of DirecTV"

cahiatt
Premium
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

Provision like that makes sense....

With head injuries being the big topic in football, seems possible all the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers suffer similar head injuries and not notice the additional rate hikes that an ATT takeover would impose. Potential big profit jump for ATT.

atigerman

join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI
reply to Kett2000

Re: Attempted take over of At&t (sp. DirecTV)

AT&T is going to try and take over themselves? LoL

Probitas

@206.248.154.x

Probably get more money if they didn't go exclusive

NFL stands to make more money if they didn't sole source it. That should be a no brainer.

kxrm

join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

It's unlikely but boy it sure would be nice....

to kill two birds with one stone. No Football and I get to keep DirecTV as it is? Can I pay an extra $25 extra a month to DirecTV right now to make this not happen? Sign me up!

This is all serious by the way, I hate football almost as much as I hate AT&T.

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
said by kxrm:

This is all serious by the way, I hate football almost as much as I hate AT&T.

They don't call AT&T the "All Trials and Tribulations" company for nothing ! I've been wanting to switch to DirecTV but not if that deal goes through, football or not.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma

At&t buying themselves?

AT&T is taking themselves and buying theirselves!? Type Karl?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

Interestingly, AT&T has included a provision in their attempted takeover of AT&T that says they can scrap the deal, with no fee, if DirecTV fails to obtain the rights to NFL content:

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Another company can't just swoop in...

and grab the rights to Sunday Ticket because Directv has always had an exclusive negotiating period/right of first refusal on the next deal. So it will ultimately be up to Directv as to whether they will want to pay/negotiate what the NFL wants or refuse and thus let other companies have a crack at it.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to atigerman

said by atigerman:

I wouldn't put it past them.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to kxrm

Re: It's unlikely but boy it sure would be nice....

That's weird that DirecTV forces you to buy the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

If I were the NFL....

If I were the NFL, I would push the amount that DirecTV has to pay for NFL ST. Not by a big amount, but just enough to see how far D* will go. They (D*) will probably in turn look at AT&T and ask "can we pay that much ?" and AT&T can have some say-so.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Buy Out

So if the government wants to thwart the merger, all it has to do is buy the rights and the deal collapses.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE

So now...

What's stopping NFL from charging DirecTV exorbitant fees for the same contract. I agree that these terms allow for a fall-out if something breaks down, but now this gives one party (NFL) an upper hand in terms of charging waaaay more than the previous contract price + their deemed inflationary markup.
I see a great downward potential in this deal.
Also, consumers should expect their bills or NFL package deals costs to cost more as a result of the above upper hand (NFL).
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

AT&T May Elect Not To Consummate...

Based on various customer ratings over the years, is the phrase "not consummate" really part of AT&T's vocabulary?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

said by atigerman:

I wouldn't put it past them.

They already did that, LOL. AT&T was broken up into regional bells who eventually consolidated and bought AT&T Long Distance, and subsequently renamed themselves back to AT&T. Colbert explains it beautifully in this video.

»www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/ ··· /955486/

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
reply to Probitas

Re: Probably get more money if they didn't go exclusive

Except DirecTV wouldn't want that.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to smcallah

No they don't.

join:2014-05-06
USA

1 recommendation

What's funny about Sunday Ticket

Is no one complains they are paying for it even if they don't have it. People complain about paying for ESPN but not ST.

Fun with math.

DTV pays $1 bil per year for ST( that is sure to go up in future years)
DTV has 20 million customers.
Only 10% subscribe to Sunday ticket. That's 2 million.

Now even if you assume all 2 million pay the highest full price( $330 ) for Sunday Ticket( unlikely ) that's $660 million. So who is paying the other $340 million? And that $340 million is on the low side.

kxrm

join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

No they don't.

Right, but I am curious how much the subscriber base subsidizes these kind of deals. I have no idea what the uptake is on Sunday Ticket but with how much they pay for the rights to do it, it wouldn't surprise me if it is a loss leader in terms of the package alone.

Toguro

join:2003-10-23
Chicago, IL
reply to 78036364

Re: What's funny about Sunday Ticket

Sports bars can pay up to $125000+ for Sunday ticket.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to 78036364
said by 78036364:

So who is paying the other $340 million?

Businesses?

»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/b ··· 143446_2

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Probitas

Re: Probably get more money if they didn't go exclusive

said by Probitas :

NFL stands to make more money if they didn't sole source it. That should be a no brainer.

Just the opposite. Which is why they continue to sole source it. If it's gets diluted then prices go down as more people have access to it. I'm sure the NFL has run the numbers. If they thought they would get more money overall by having multiple cable companies getting access to Sunday Ticket, they would have done it years ago.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to djrobx

Click for full size
Flowchart

USA
reply to 78036364

Re: What's funny about Sunday Ticket

You guys also fail to account for the millions that get ST for free or a discount or choose the cheaper package. So it's much higher than $340. Just admit ALL DTV customers pay for Sunday Ticket at least in part.

USA
reply to Toguro
said by Toguro:

Sports bars can pay up to $125000+ for Sunday ticket.

You know any "sports bars" that seat 10,000? Let alone the 2700 it would take just to cover the $340 mil underestimation I posted?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to etaadmin

Yep. The split really taught them a lot.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Simba7:

Yep. The split really taught them a lot.

Like getting to big and breaking up is worth billions more then staying big.
We are still in the getting (too) big stage.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State

Count me out

I don't like DTV, but I dislike AT&T even more. I shoulda stayed with DISH. AT&T is trying to do what Bill Gates tried to do with PC and Windows. I hope it fails.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by linicx:

I don't like DTV, but I dislike AT&T even more. I shoulda stayed with DISH. AT&T is trying to do what Bill Gates tried to do with PC and Windows. I hope it fails.

If they approve the TW/Comcast merger then they have no reason not to approve the DTV/ATT merger.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
Not so. TW and Comcast are cable companies. DTV is a U.S. Satellite TV service whilst AT&T is a telephone company.

AT&T already provides telephone, Internet and IPTV. DTV lacks on its Internet side, and doesn't offer any type of phone. It might a be merger made in heaven for the two, but it won't bring the rest of us much in the way of relief from the high prices AT&T is so fond of charging, nor will it bring anything new, or even remotely competitive, to rural America.

IF there are 5 Cell phone providers there should be 2 satellite providers. All AT&T is trying to do is buy one more U.S. company for profit. Don't confuse it with providing a service to anyone except itself.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside