spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-22 08:55:56: Verizon recently unveiled their new "Quantum TV" ultra-DVR in select markets, including North Texas, Harrisburg, portions of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. ..

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1

Florida

You missed the fact they expanded availability to Florida a few weeks back.

microphone
Premium
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

1 recommendation

Cool but a little silly

Many who work hard enough to be able to afford FIOS probably don't have the time to be watching that much television. And when was the last time you found 12 good shows to watch on tv at the same time?

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
I'm not sure I can list 12 good shows period.

However I'm still interested. I'll consider it when it's available here.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

Crazy

That's over $200 per year. You can get your own HD DVR for much less than that. But then again, you have to know that.

The value of knowledge on display again.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
Not really.. The only alternative is a TIVO and it has some feature lacking that I really like in the FIOS STBs.. Windows media center isn't an option anymore.

So we're stuck. Live with it or move to a different provider (which costs as much or more)... Sucks!

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 edits
reply to dnoyeB
It's $22 OVER the already $20 a month or $42 a month for just one DVR and 1 TV (2 tot), and that doesn't include the cost for the TivoMini-like boxes that they charge $10 ish a month for also. So 5 TV's could cost you almost $85 bucks a month or $1000 a year which is more than I paid for my WMC setup over 3 years ago (and can still sell off the xboxes)

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY
reply to buckweet1980
Which features are you referring to? Besides OnDemand, of course.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to buckweet1980
Not sure why you say it's not an option, it works great. On top of that I put a sling on one of the extenders and I can watch anywhere anytime.

WMC is an option and the cheapest one by far. I have it running on 7 TV's now (2 via slingbox on Roku), and only cost me $5 a month to rent a cable card. If I did that w/ Verizon equipment that would be over $100 a month just in box rentals.

It can be inexpensive if you know what you are doing (I run mine in a VM among other things), which is the problem, because it's not plug and play. I just saw a 3tuner HDHR for $85 last week.

The big difference in Tivo and WMC is that you own the equipment and it has residual value. If you go to use the operators lease, there is no recovery since you are simply leasing the equipment and are at the mercy of them raising rates annually to suit their bean counters--or I mean older equipment and "better service".

Not saying its a bad thing, VMS is just incredibly expensive and will be very profitable for VZ. If people want to pay up and are happy, then that is their decision.

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY

1 recommendation

Wow..

Paying $30+ a month on top of an already inflated TV package?

IPTV with truly "on demand" programming can't come soon enough.

mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

NYC

NYC's launch date is June 15th
Courtesy of several VZ employees

rifRaf

@67.159.5.x
reply to microphone

Re: Cool but a little silly

Sure there is tons of junk of tv but as long as there are people watching those shows (we wont count you), there is a demand for a product like this. Just cause you don't have a use for it and may not be able to afford it, it is cool to have the capability.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to microphone
I can't even find 12 good bittorent videos to download simultaneously and that's given ALL the content that's available on the internet (excluding PRON).

BTW, I'm sick and tired of hearing about whizbang DVRs from Verizon at staggering rental charges.. how about UPGRADING your network and giving customers faster speeds!!! Every time I look, it's another company doing better than Verizon on that front!!!

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to elefante72

Re: Crazy

Just ordered mine (enhanced service - 1 VMS - 4 clients) my bill is only $10 more a month
--
Delaware Verizon Fios
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

aream06

join:2012-08-02
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to buckweet1980
not really i have an htpc with a Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe (i have room for two more) they have six tuners and i use mythtv

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to tmc8080

U want faster speeds to download content illegally, and reduce Verizons profits on their video products? yes, Verizon, WHY arent you upgrading your speeds !!!?? lol

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

It's $22 OVER the already $20 a month or $42 a month for just one DVR and 1 TV (2 tot), and that doesn't include the cost for the TivoMini-like boxes that they charge $10 ish a month for also. So 5 TV's could cost you almost $85 bucks a month or $1000 a year which is more than I paid for my WMC setup over 3 years ago (and can still sell off the xboxes)

I was wondering about that. the article made it sound like it was just $22 and $32 and I was surprised it was so low. If it's $20 more then that is more in line with what I would expect from a cable operator..

Mh

@66.249.88.x

VMS availability

Just received email letting us pre-order for Boston area. Rumor has availability may 27. That's with free upgrade. Also my bill should only go up $5 46.99 to 52. Please post any notices of availability

Sympathy

join:2004-09-06
Newburgh, NY

Too expensive

With me getting the multi-room DVR free for life there is no way I will ever be getting this.

What makes cable TV so expensive is the equipment charges..

tnsprin

Bradenton, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

said by elefante72:

I was wondering about that. the article made it sound like it was just $22 and $32 and I was surprised it was so low. If it's $20 more then that is more in line with what I would expect from a cable operator..

That's incorrect its $10 over for a single VMS (DVR) that has 6 tuner. TWO VMS, i.e two DVR's, are $20 more.

To be more specific prices are now per "room" (the price for a room decrease as you add more rooms, and the room with the DVR/VMS count) Plus:
$11 for a HD DVR
$12 for a MR DVR
$22 for a VMS
$32 for TWO VMS

tnsprin

Bradenton, FL
reply to microphone

If you don't need 12, which means 2 VMS(DVR), than a configuration with 6 tuners, one VMS (DVR), is for you.

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
reply to ITALIAN926
let's recap.. which business model is failing? oh yeah... the cable-tv subscription model..

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Yea, let me know when theres less than 90 million pay TV subscriptions in the US, thanks.

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
att wants to buy direct. if that happens you won't have long to wait

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to Sympathy

Re: Too expensive

said by Sympathy:

With me getting the multi-room DVR free for life there is no way I will ever be getting this.

What makes cable TV so expensive is the equipment charges..

Wow, that's a sweet deal.....I don't blame you for not wanting to give that up.

All providers have high equipment charges, unfortunately. What's more, they offer a locked-in price if you sign a contract but what doesn't get locked in is the equipment rental fees which is where they make their $$.