spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-22 12:35:44: Comcast has slowly but surely been expanding their deployment of usage caps, largely in less competitive markets where users can't vote with their wallet. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9

5 recommendations

Newspeak

Orwell was right. Just about 30 years off...

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless

3 recommendations

Pricing.

They want the cake and to eat it as well.

The don't want usage based billing - as it applies to any other service being delivered to a home.
They want the high monthly fee AND the usage based billing.

And of course we consumers like flat pricing, we've all gotten screwed by these kinds of companies too many times.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

3 recommendations

Comcast puts their other hand in my pocket

300Gb ... or about 10Gb per day.

So ... each member of a family of 4 can watch ONE Netflix HD movie per day ... no email, no music, no web browsing, no VOIP phone calls, no gaming ... to keep from hitting the cap at the end of the month. But Comcast will gladly sell you another 50Gb for 1000% markup just like the cell phone companies do.

These caps are about one thing only ... maintaining their dying cableTV business model.

wchillman

join:2011-11-20
Gig Harbor, WA

6 recommendations

Let's call it what it is: a money grab.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

Weasel Words

Basically, Comcast is using weasel wording to try to avoid the bad PR that "usage caps" imply. Technically speaking, he's right in that a cap implies you can't use any more once you hit it. Instead, they "graciously" allow you to use more data once you hit their arbitrary amount. In return for this wonderful act of generosity, you get to pay them a large reasonable-as-determined-by-Comcast overage fee.

Practically speaking, though, the amount you pay every month would have a limit on how much data is allowed to be used. Once you hit this limit, you need to pay a penalty fee for every GB over you go. If you don't want to pay more, then you are indeed capped. They can weasel word it as much as they like, they are still implementing usage caps.
--
-Jason Levine

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to buzz_4_20

Re: Pricing.

Try "business class" flat rate + no cap.

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME
While there are many advantages to getting business class service. The cost is ABSURDLY high for a home user.

If cost wasn't an option, I'd have business class FIBER from GWI in a heartbeat... but $500 a month isn't in the cards.

masterbinky

join:2011-01-06
Carlsbad, NM

A turd by any other name....

Since a data threshold occurs after a set point, which is also called a limit, yes they do have data caps. What happens after the data cap, or threshold, is up to the ISP whether they downgrade your bandwidth limits (or threshold lol) or charge you for an additional allotment or increased cap/threshold. Sorry, but you don't get to pick and choose the dictionary others use so you can manipulate word choice with legal force.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

If it looks like a duck

And quacks like a duck its still a duck no matter how you dress it up.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

2 recommendations

reply to newview

Re: Comcast puts their other hand in my pocket

Exactly. They see Internet Video taking off. They could have done the sensible thing and found a way to launch an Internet Video service and profit off of it. Perhaps an IP-Cable-TV setup where you could subscribe to individual channels. If anyone had the clout to do that, they could.

Instead, they decided to protect their old cable TV business and kill this Internet Video before it took off too much. Caps will make Internet Video unpractical and expensive which will mean 1) less people will use it and will be more likely to use Comcast's offerings (which, oddly enough, don't count against the caps) or 2) will pay more to use Internet Video with that "more" going to Comcast. Either way, Comcast profits by not actually doing anything useful.
--
-Jason Levine

shmerl

join:2013-10-21

Pointless word play

Cap is a restriction based on a threshold. So they have both - the threshold, and the restriction which kicks in once it's reached.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

5 recommendations

It's not a "meltdown"

...it's an "unrequested fission surplus."

TrialsWhere

@66.249.88.x

-1 recommendation

Where are these trial locations?

I keep hearing a lot about these cap trials? Where are they CURRENTLY being applied. Anyone have a current list? And what are the caps at these locations? Are there any DSLReports Comcast forum members here with proof of these trials?

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

The rotten smell

Smells like **** looks like ****.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

While there are many advantages to getting business class service. The cost is ABSURDLY high for a home user.

If cost wasn't an option, I'd have business class FIBER from GWI in a heartbeat... but $500 a month isn't in the cards

So the Comcast BCI is an intermediate step
and starting at $69 a month is hardly 'ABSURDLY high' you just trade higher speeds, for uncapped/overage'd throughput.
If you want BOTH speed and throughput it does cost more, But no where near what a $500 dedicated line costs
»business.comcast.com/internet/bu···-pricing

wkm001

join:2009-12-14

Usage Caps or Fast/Slow Lanes

They are going to find a way to make more money one way or another. Yes, it is a money grab, everyone recognizes that. But if I had a choice I would pick usage caps over fast/slow lanes. That way the folks that use more pay more.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:42

2 recommendations

reply to TrialsWhere

Re: Where are these trial locations?

You talk as if it were conspiracy theory:

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···pansion/

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

2 recommendations

reply to TrialsWhere
said by TrialsWhere :

I keep hearing a lot about these cap trials?

Here is something directly from Comcast.

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ata-plan

Edit: Karl beat me to it.

neg_serye

join:2013-01-02
Boston, MA
reply to Jason Levine

Re: Weasel Words

The question now is, will the press bite, the answer of course is yes.

buzz_4_20

Limestone, ME
reply to tshirt

As a Time Warner customer... business class is far more costly. I can't find any pricing, but it's nowhere near that Comcast pricing.

smitmor

join:2004-04-10
Springhill, LA

1 recommendation

SMH

Tomato/Tomäto

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I voted with my wallet

I get my TV through DirecTV. I come nowhere near a so-called cap.

The purpose of their cap is to force you to buy THEIR TV. You have a choice, satellite. And if your apartment throws a fit, OTARD rules.

It's raining out right now with a rumble of thunder now and then, no problems with my reception. The only time I lose reception is the thunderstorms that cause the National Weather Service to issue Severe Thunderstorm/Tornado Warnings.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

catchingup

@206.51.28.x
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Try "business class" flat rate + no cap.

Yes, all consumers should have to go out and switch to business class service so their existing Internet connections work properly.

catchingup

@206.51.28.x

2 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: I voted with my wallet

said by IowaCowboy:

I get my TV through DirecTV. I come nowhere near a so-called cap.

The purpose of their cap is to force you to buy THEIR TV. You have a choice, satellite. And if your apartment throws a fit, OTARD rules.

It's raining out right now with a rumble of thunder now and then, no problems with my reception. The only time I lose reception is the thunderstorms that cause the National Weather Service to issue Severe Thunderstorm/Tornado Warnings.

What does that have to do with having an Internet connection without a ridiculous cap? Oh wait... nothing.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to wkm001

Re: Usage Caps or Fast/Slow Lanes

Seems simple to just say "tax the 1%", but the reality is that Comcast is only going to be able to multiply profit by charging the average customer more.

mpellegrini

join:2009-02-22
Tacoma, WA

Comcast...

... Equals pure, unadulterated horseshit.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

8 recommendations

reply to buzz_4_20

Tshirt is a Comcast, industry shill. It's not worth trying to have a normal conversation about anything with him. He always defends Corporations. Read his posts. Everyone including him knows Comcast is going to screw everyone. Trying to defend their position on a site rife with IT people is amusing.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
reply to RWSI

Re: The rotten smell

Smells like Teen Spirit.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

Teen Spirit...

A rose by any other name is still a rose!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to buzz_4_20

No US ISP is going to risk 100% usage based billing because people would demand a lower monthly fee. Now they would not get that lower fee of course but the ISPs do fear weights and measures.

See if I get no "free" data before they charge me per gig, Then I am being billed for internet no differently than electricity or water or gas. This puts the ISPs at risk of having to prove their metering to an agency that unlike the FCC is state level and does have some very sharp teeth. Weights and Measures in a state or city tends to be pretty no-nonsense when it comes to accurate metering.

So we will remain with the high prices, low caps and high overages that buy "buckets of gigs" because that does not put them in the threat zone for being examined by government agencies that are harder to buy off.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports