spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-22 16:38:37: The House of Representatives today passed an NSA surveillance reform bill that was very light on actual reform. ..

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

They Have Photos

Well, duh! We can't be too hard on the NSA, after all, they have a lot of dirt on everyone.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

We have the ability to fix this ...

From the film "With Honors (1994)":

Simon Wilder: You asked the question, sir, now let me answer it. The beauty of the Constitution is that it can always be changed. The beauty of the Constitution is that it makes no set law other than faith in the wisdom of ordinary people to govern themselves.

Proffesor Pitkannan: Faith in the wisdom of the people is exactly what makes the Constitution incomplete and crude.

Simon Wilder: Crude? No, sir. Our "founding parents" were pompous, white, middle-aged farmers, but they were also great men. Because they knew one thing that all great men should know: that they didn't know everything. Sure, they'd make mistakes, but they made sure to leave a way to correct them. The president is not an "elected king," no matter how many bombs he can drop. Because the "crude" Constitution doesn't trust him. He's just a bum, okay Mr. Pitkannan? He's just a bum.

And yet ... we continue to see things as absolute ... horse out of the barn ... cat out of the bag ... baby out with the bath water (ok I will stop now)

Point:

We could correct this slippery slope ... DEFINE ... what the closet monsters are here ... what are we collecting all of this for ... in the name of "protection" ... in the name of "it will make our lives more seamless and crime free" ... Ha ... put the absolute power and vagaries into the hands of the few ... and what you get ... is exactly what you were hoping to protect yourself against... tyranny.
--
doing the right amount of wrong

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

no suprise..

even after all the public displays of "horror" at/about this, congress deep down knows the NSA is doing exactly what previous congresses have told it to do and and every congress since has affirmed and renewed.
ANYONE in the senate, house or president who says they didn't know the scope of the NSA task is lying or not doing their job/paying attention.
Hopefully they'll make carefully thought out change, and not another knee-jerk reaction like/opposite the one that caused this.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Between the NSA, CIA, and FBI, they 'know' every elected politician who has a 'wide stance'. Nobody is going to cut those organizations off at the knees - there's too much personal 'reputation' at stake.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life

join:2001-09-01
Port Saint Lucie, FL

2 recommendations

NSA doesn't care

They don't care what the President says or does. I agree with Michael Crichton, who in one of his novels has the head of the NSA telling someone that it doesn't matter what the President says, does, knows or anything, because they are just a renter, a tenant. They move in to the White House and live there for 4, maybe 8 years if they're lucky, cut some ribbons, kiss a few babies, and the next one moves in. The NSA Director is always there, no one votes him in or out, and that's where the real power is and always will be.
--
Follow Your Bliss -- Joseph Cambell
I reject your Reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbuster

toejamin

@69.232.206.x
reply to cabana

Re: We have the ability to fix this ...

its just a tough battle against lobbyist with deep pockets. If I were unemployed, maybe I would dedicate more time to our corrupt system.

toejamin

@69.232.206.x
reply to CosmicDebri

Re: NSA doesn't care

I dont think we even know the real hierarchy of the powers that be. Could be that seeing eye on our dollar bills.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Pointless

"In contrast, the version passed today 303-121 in the House was so watered down and ambiguous as to be almost entirely pointless"

As is most everything done in the House or Senate, almost entirely pointless, that is!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/