dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-23 10:37:50: Last summer AT&T rather quietly launched their fixed LTE service, quite creatively named "AT&T Wireless Home Phone and Internet. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Apophis
Jaffa Kree
Premium Member
join:2001-12-27
Holmen, WI

1 recommendation

Apophis

Premium Member

No point in LTE when cap is 10gb

There is no point in having a broadband connection at LTE speeds with a 10/30gb cap. Its utterly stupid unless your the provider who's using its customers to print $100 bills.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Latency and speed better than Hughesnet or Wildblue right? And IIRC the caps are similar at that price point.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

Good option "if"

This is a good option IF there is nothing else available. I have a friend that used less than 5GB on her cable internet so she added a mifi to her wireless account and added a few gigabytes. It does save her money, for now, but if she ever wanted to watch Netflix or Redbox Instant she wouldn't be able to. She does go to a Redbox once or twice a week.

I really hoped WISPs would fill this void but they often require line of sight.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

If you cut out the video, it's possible. But that means going old skool or say signing up for AT&T's shiny new directv.

These are new offerings. Once they saturate the markets, they will circle back and lower the price. They can sample markets and packages (bundle w/ phones) to see if they can create stickiness on their wireless packages.

If you compare to sat, this is much better. I think fixed wireless will be the answer in rural areas, it just can't run on the typical spectrum for now. If they can combine whitespace w/ wired/fixed backhaul this can be very useful. Sure they won't have 1TB, but maybe a 100GB or more for reasonable price.

Combine that w AT&T sat/DirecTV and now you have a good 1-2 punch for rural delivery.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Another problem

Other than the high price, another problem is that, oftentimes, LTE isn't available in really rural areas. If you're on the outer edge of a population center, you might be able to get this, but, if you're really out in the sticks, you probably can't get it.

My experience with Verizon LTE is that, at least here, they're doing a pretty good job of building out into rural areas, but I don't really trust that AT&T will do that.
Pittpharm
join:2013-12-26
Pittsburg, TX

Pittpharm

Beats Verizon

Beats Verizon's 20GB equivalent plan by 70 bucks. I would not be opposed to this IF they could get a built in GPS to work where you did not have to tell the 911 operator where you were at, existing alarm systems to work, and faxing (yes I know most use email now but I still use it). Ironically this is 20 bucks cheaper than my current wireline setup with AT&T with unlimited phone and fastest DSL option (1.3Mb/s) approx $133 a month.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

This could fit a few markets...

...temporary housing at remote jobsites(N Dakota oil fields), post disaster trailers, vacation cabins/campgrounds. Really anywhere a very modest connection is necessary but economics make a wired connection a non-starter.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

Gilitar

Sprint could do this the right way

With all the 2.5 ghz spectrum that Sprint has at their disposal they could do this WITHOUT caps! Sprint has the spectrum available to acquire all of AT&T's DSL customers if they would only utilize the spectrum.

You're a joke AT&T!

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: This could fit a few markets...

Wouldn't you just use your phone for those temporary situations?

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Rural

Rural New Mexico still has no cell services, good luck ATT and others.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to Gilitar

to Gilitar

Re: Sprint could do this the right way

Yeah except 2.5Ghz can barely penetrate your underwear, but it may warm it up
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

they still don't get it

It's still a total shame that no "fixed" wireless cell data plans have a reasonable cap. Until they offer 100+GB/mo., at prices comparable to wired services, it's a complete ripoff.
AT&T and Verizon could easily focus on rural areas that have no other alternative, and offer people good deals, but instead, we see overpriced and gimped offers galore.

Nobody in cities needs this. Tethering for brief periods, wifi when out and about, or wired service in fixed locations are plenty well covered in 99% of situations in populated areas.

In the fringe areas literally right outside of cities and towns, there are places where even DSL isn't available. Some places have local telco providers, or maybe cable if they're lucky, but there are all kinds of places where a good fixed cellular data package makes sense.

Eligibility for "fixed" services like this should be based on whether or not ANY wired service is even available. If absolutely none exists from AT&T (other than dialup), they should be able to offer people 100+GB/mo for $100 or less per month.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to dnoyeB

Premium Member

to dnoyeB

suppose you wanted Computer access/more than a phone or in addition to a phone.
Also when combined with dish for TV it might be a solution for motorhome snowbirds.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to Gilitar

to Gilitar

A) 2.5 has lousy penetration

B) Sprint's coverage sucks were this type of thing would have the most customers.

C) The would have to have a cap because it wouldn't take many people stream Netflix in HD or Super HD to cause issues.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

Just like Verizon HomeFusion...

Oh lookie, pricing's no different from Home Fusion. So how is this giving me choice on what option is better again for fixed LTE wireless on a contract?

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to elefante72

to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Yeah except 2.5Ghz can barely penetrate your underwear, but it may warm it up

Not as much of an issue with the 8t8r configuration. Also, with a fixed service you could place cantennas making reception even less an issue.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Yucca Servic

Premium Member

to Yucca Servic

Re: Rural

said by Yucca Servic:

Rural New Mexico still has no cell services, good luck ATT and others.

Rural NM and quite a few other places lack things a lot of the 'city folks' here believe to be necessities.
There is no single solution to getting Broadband (almost) Everywhere cable and fiber will get a lot of places, WISP's satellite and LTE will fill the basic needs in rural areas in the meantime.

Gilitar
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to 78036364

to 78036364

A) In general yes. Sprint is using 8t8r to combat this. With a fixed service you can use a directional antenna making this less of an issue.

B) YES, The would have to install more sites. This is already being addressed

C) Do you realize that they have nearly 200 mhz of 2.5 ghz spectrum in many markets? The amount of bandwidth with that much spectrum is insane!
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to ggultra2764

to ggultra2764

Re: Just like Verizon HomeFusion...

They'll probably bundle it with DirecTV service and knock a few bucks off the price. Not enough to make it a good deal; just enough to make it slightly better than Verizon.
78036364 (banned)
USA

-1 recommendation

78036364 (banned) to Apophis

to Apophis

Re: No point in LTE when cap is 10gb

said by Apophis:

There is no point in having a broadband connection at LTE speeds with a 10/30gb cap. Its utterly stupid unless your the provider who's using its customers to print $100 bills.

First there is a huge difference trying to load a webpage or download a file on dial-up vs LTE. Also 30 GB or even 10 GB is plenty if you're not a video streamer or gamer.

Sorry you can't have unlimited data on this. Like Verizon it uses the exact same spectrum as cell phones. So they're all sharing the same tower and bandwidth. A couple dozen homes all using Netflix on the same tower would slow down the network.

For those where the other choices are satellite or dial-up this is an option. People that choose to live in the boonies will have to accept their internet will be inferior to everyone else's for teh for seeable future.
elefante72
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to Gilitar

to Gilitar

I was only joking. Sprint has a treasure trove of spectrum.. The long weekend is coming... However, they need to complete Vision first before they get all cheeky and take over the rural landscape.

n the mid-plains or rolling I see this as workable, but with mountains/hills (ie WVa) I don't see this as a real money maker in the near future.

And while they may go to 8t8r, that by no means changes the physics advantage over 600/700 spectrum.

My analogy is this:

600/700 spectrum - 1 Acre/1Mhz - $50 million dollars (Manhattan)
2500 spectrum - 1 Acre/1Mhz - Albany, NY - $200k

So 10 Mhz of 600 spectrum is way more valuable and usable to 10 Mhz of 2500. I agree tho w/ 200 of 2.5G you could do some damage w/ LTE-Advanced. They can also take advantage of the tech where Asia runs lots of their LTE in those bands.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned) to Gilitar

to Gilitar
said by Gilitar:

C) Do you realize that they have nearly 200 mhz of 2.5 ghz spectrum in many markets? The amount of bandwidth with that much spectrum is insane!

I live in rural area. Outside the small city where I live Sprint's coverage is weak. Heck we only have 3G here to begin with. My area is the kind of place something like this is needed. considering it took Sprint until 2013 to even come to out area I doubt they upgrade anytime soon.

78036364 (banned) to Pittpharm

to Pittpharm

Re: Beats Verizon

said by Pittpharm:

Beats Verizon's 20GB equivalent plan by 70 bucks.

Their pricing is exactly the same. WTF are you talking about? Verizon's Homefusion plans are 10 GB for $60, 20 GB for $90 and 30 GB for $120. Verizon is also smarter enough to use an outdoor antenna for better reception.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Unlimited for $30...

What happened to Contract Fee Unlimited Data to an iPad for 30 dollars/Month?...
Oh yeah, that's what happened...

»Re: File an FTC Complaint for AT&T changing the terms

AT&T pulled the plug on Unlimited Data one month in, before many people even got their devices.

But don't worry, AT&T will sell you less for more now.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to tshirt

to tshirt

My phone can produce a Wifi hotspot which the laptop can connect to. Seems like the same thing as this technology is proposing just without the phone portion.
All of our phones should do this by now.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Some don't seem to allow tethering, also suppose a couple with one phone Plus this as the home phone/doing VoIP.
It won't be the right choice for everyone, just another choice.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Seems like

The ultimate last ditch effort if you need high speed - just not much of it.
78204168 (banned)
join:2013-02-28

78204168 (banned) to Apophis

to Apophis

Re: No point in LTE when cap is 10gb

I had Verizon's Home Fusion.. speed was great, but the data cap was complete bullsheit!! Amazing how AT&T mimics Verizon's packages with the same exact pricing structure. I'd swear that the illusion is all the major wireless telecoms operate as one large entity and they just separate into different companies to make the people think they have a choice.. 30GB for $120.. More like $145 after taxes and the optional $7-8 warranty they will talk you into getting to replace hardware if it happens to go south.

78204168 (banned)

I got a better deal!!!

WirelessnWifi.com has 60GB for $79.99 with no fees or taxes using Sprint's LTE. No contract required. Piss on both AT&T and Verizon..

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to tshirt

to tshirt

Yes, I realize that one person could leave the house with the phone and the internet at the same time. Its good to have options. However, at $30 it seems quite steep when adding internet to an existing phone is usually much cheaper and I'm betting that's including companies that still make you pay for tethering.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next