dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-23 12:25:01: In another indication that T-Mobile's "uncarrier" marketing strategy is paying dividends, a new study by Counterpoint notes that T-Mobile has surpassed Sprint as "the third largest smartphone carrier in terms of smartphone volumes buyer closely behin.. ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

Get it together Sprint...

It would help if Sprint actually completed its LTE network in the DC Metro area for starters.

Had two iPhone 5s side by side to test. Attempting to use Google Maps over Sprint's 3G network in North Bethesda was an exercise in futility. AT&T's LTE network worked fine.
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

shmerl

Handset vs smartphone

I thought handset computer is often called a "smartphone" (I find this term to be pretty dumb, despite it having a word "smart" in it). So I call them handsets (same as other computers are called laptops or desktops etc.). So what exactly do they mean by "handset"?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Just bought one

I bought an LTE phone last quarter as well. I didn't know it was LTE when I bought it as I actually upgraded for the BlueTooth LE/Smart Bluetooth capability.

Though I am a TMobile customer I got my LG Nexus 5 from Google. I don't do branded phones. Or maybe better put, I only do Google branded phones since they have less crapware.
dnoyeB

dnoyeB to shmerl

to shmerl

Re: Handset vs smartphone

A set that you put in your hand. Typically used with two-way radio devices. Such as wireless phones.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB

Re: Just bought one

Good luck with that. Google phones are dead. We'll see how silver works out.... Cyanogenmod however is getting much better so there is hope. I ripped out some lousy LG firmware and blew in CM (4.2.2 equiv) and boom WAY better... I agree tho, unmodified and openish is why I am dumping my idevices and replacing them w/ Android equivalents.

The one issue is tablet. I bought an LG Gpad for "tablet" to replace ipad (awesome and only $250) and now I need to find a laptop replacement w/LTE. Surface is SO close...
existenz
join:2014-02-12

1 recommendation

existenz to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: Get it together Sprint...

iPhone 5 doesn't support Sprint Spark. I have a Samsung GS5 and typically get 20-40, up to 60 - and it's unlimited. Sprint needs to get Spark everywhere now. They'll then be in good shape but I wouldn't recommend Sprint to anyone until they get Spark near 100% complete in their market, not 70%.

Since iPhone doesn't have Spark, I imagine that is why Tmob is surpassing Sprint in smartphones overall. Sprint iPhone users probably waiting for i6 before upgrading.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

You won't reliably get those speeds here. The LTE coverage here is so spotty. One look at »s4gru.com/index.php?/top ··· ?p=22132 explains it...

It doesn't help Spark isn't officially launched anywhere in the DC Metro Area either.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

People Getting Smart?

Maybe word is slowly leaking out that buying a locked dual mode device (GSM and CDMA) from Sprint means it will be forever locked domestically to Sprint.

My employer made the "mistake" of purchasing iPhone 4S's from Sprint back in 2011. They are now off contract and Sprint refuses to remove the domestic SIM lock from the phones (they are basically on record as stating they never will remove the lock). As such, if we upgrade to new iPhone's, these 4S's will become bricks as only Sprint can provide service to them in the United States. The only possible "light" is that Sprint indicates they will work with manufacturers to sell unlockable devices AFTER February 2015. That means everyone who, to date, has purchased iPhone's from Sprint will never have them unlocked for use on any other United States carrier.

Knowing this, why on earth would anyone plunk down hard earned money on a device that will be permanently crippled? It would be like buying a car and having the bank refuse to ever remove a lien from it.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to shmerl

Premium Member

to shmerl

Re: Handset vs smartphone

Handset likely means dumb phones.

Samsung makes both.

And of course what many do not know is they make huge profits off Apple too, The guts of Apple's iDevices are made by Samsung.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: Get it together Sprint...

Like I said, wouldn't recommend until Spark is nearly 100% in market.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan to n2jtx

to n2jtx

Re: People Getting Smart?

At least Sprint unlocks devices for International GSM usage only 3 months into a contract.

T-Mobile will gladly take that locked Sprint phone off your hands.

I agree though. It sucks.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

Karl, Did you even read the article?

T-Mobile did not surpass Sprint as number 3. The story is simply about quarter 1 sales (heck, its in the page title) and T-Mobile was " the third largest smartphone carrier in terms of smartphone volumes buyer" for quarter 1 this year. With the sales that they are having it is obvious they would see large gains but it is coming at a huge cost to them.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

2 recommendations

TuxRaiderPen2

Where's Carly!????!!????

The only two questions that matter...

1) Coverage

2) Where is Carly!??????!!????
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to n2jtx

to n2jtx

said by n2jtx:

My employer made the "mistake" of purchasing iPhone 4S's from Sprint back in 2011. They are now off contract and Sprint refuses to remove the domestic SIM lock from the phones (they are basically on record as stating they never will remove the lock). As such, if we upgrade to new iPhone's, these 4S's will become bricks as only Sprint can provide service to them in the United States.

Sprint is not removing the lock because they don't want to its because they can't. Blame Apple.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan

Blame Apple? And you believe this because....

Explain how Apple makes Model A1533 of the iPhone 5S which supports AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. Sprint required a specific model for itself, A1453.

Edited to add: "Although a phone manufacturer may manufacture the same device model and name for different wireless carriers offering wireless service in the United States, Sprint devices are specifically designed to function on Sprint’s network and Sprint’s frequencies and technologies."

So, who built in this lock? You really believe it was Apple?

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp to n2jtx

to n2jtx
You can still take a Sprint phone to a Sprint MVNO. We moved some Iphone 4S phones over to Ting.com which has a LOT better pricing and includes Verizon voice coverage.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Very Satisfied T-Mobile customer.

I'm what they called Pre-paid on my Galaxy S3 and I'd classify my contentment level as "Very good" to "Excellent".

I believe what I pay gets me very, very good value.

Very happy with T-Mobile and I recommend their pre-paid to all.
pika2000
join:2005-10-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pika2000 to 78036364

to 78036364

quote:
Sprint is not removing the lock because they don't want to its because they can't. Blame Apple.
Please don't tell me that you still believe that. This is the same lie that AT&T put out when they refused unlocking iPhones, despite foreign carriers have no problem unlocking iPhones. There's no reason for Apple to lock their iPhones. It's dictated by the carrier, in this case, Sprint. Sprint could simply put a flag on the phone that it's unlocked so when a user connect it to iTunes, it would be unlocked.

w0g
o.O
join:2001-08-30
Springfield, OR

w0g

sprint vs t-mobile

Jump ship to T-Mobile unless Sprint delivers Spark in your area. Cause T-Mobile's LTE is 4-10 faster than Sprint's and you get free hotspot...

I got both side by side and all over I pull 4 mega lbytes down and up on my tethered laptop with my Tmo S4. My Sprint Note 3 fucking sucks at less than 1 megabyte/sec (typically 250KBps/sec! Pathetic.) and all downloads/uploads take ages.

no2tmo
@24.192.115.x

1 recommendation

no2tmo

Anon

But t-mobiles coverage sux. Known to be fact.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by no2tmo :

But t-mobiles coverage sux. Known to be fact.

Yep, my family had to switch to Verizon because of the new rural home.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD

The target I work at has zero tmobile coverage. It is a good thing no one buys our brightspot service.
kerton
join:2003-05-15
Pleasanton, CA

kerton to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Don't Fully Agree

One test in one location has a value of about zero.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

1 edit

IPPlanMan

Really. Is that so?

Sprint needs to finish getting its network up to par so that it just works. North Bethesda isn't the boonies in the slightest. Sprint's LTE isn't even reliably available in the District itself. Why? Because they haven't finished building it. Why? Oh I'm sure there are plenty of old and tired excuses for why: blame backhaul, blame vendors, etc.

Excuses don't cut it anymore. Seriously. They don't.
Not when the other three carriers have LTE fully deployed here already.