dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-27 08:10:50: The Wall Street Journal notes that Redbox has hit a wall in terms of growth for their video retal kiosks, and is being forced to shut down five hundred of the kiosk locations. ..

decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

The

Apparently the lack of broadband options in the country are starting to show up for any new comers out there... That and data caps.. Hard to sell services to folks already locked down in their inner city services and well established netflix/hbo/hulu/amazon prime accounts.

If verizon was to of offered their users an option to not use their data to stream the service it would have had a fair chance.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

3 recommendations

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: The

The Redbox streaming service is terrible. That is the reason it isn't doing well.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

It will never have a chance in an over saturated market. Starting off with just a few movies but at the same price of those with tons more options is going to be rough.. Not to mention holding hands with a giant that doesn't help by throwing in a no data usage perk or something... I'm not concerned about it as i'm not able to use the service here thanks to caps and overages. But its sad to see innovation crap out like this in this country these days
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to aaronwt

to aaronwt
Much of what RedBox Instant has so does Netflix and Hulu. As far as their DVDs, if they put newer movies in them, people would use them. Moves from 5 years ago still under "new release". Or having to 10-15miles to another city to get the movie you want? No way.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well the problem isn't Redbox, it's the content creators. Streaming has an entire different licensing scheme than DVD's that Redbox either buys or "destroys" after use. So you won't get the move for $1.25, it will cost $5.

In all Netflix is becoming nothing more than say Fox in the 90's with a bigger catalog. A few shows, but most syndication. And really the only difference is it's on demand, and has a bigger catalog because it has more customers.

I see Amazon really beginning to ratchet up, however their lack of Android support and their piss poor apps, esp Roku really kills them. So right there they spit in 90% of people's faces....

Redbox instant would be a winner if they could broadcast in rural areas over WISP'ish and not cost $50 to deliver a movie. Where is the innovation there Verizon? Me too won't work, the market is already saturated there.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Actually a WISP would cap right away and since a movie stream is what, 3-5GB per movie (7-9GB for HD), you might see a movie a week.
Redbox failed at locations, content (yes, the creators control it..), and availability.
Example: redbox kiosk nearest me is infront of a 7-11. It is outside (weather affects wait time), the parking lot is undersized for the traffic, there are teens loitering now, and people mostly go here for smokes (and smoke while waiting for kiosk). I hope that one goes.
There is another in the several supermarkets a bit further down the road. They are inside and near the last checkout lanes. No one seems to be getting any movies when they checkout. Matter of fact, I never see anyone at the kiosk. And the titles are the same as Netflix and Hulu and Amazon as far as new releases.
The competition: iTunes, xbox Live, PSN, and your PPV provider.
I realize there are peeps not with FiOS or fast BBand. And this is their alternative.
Far cheaper than what a brick and mortar Blockbuster was (OMG, remember late fees!!). But for those with fast pipes, Redbox is a loss to be near them.
Matter of fact, the only people I know that used redbox were a couple that ripped movies to their home NAS. They never watched them. They just got a movie daily, ripped it and returned. Sometimes 2-3 a day. I never understood why they bragged of it... but since most were kids films and dramas... atleast they weren't uploading them on torrents.

For me, I think I would read more if it weren't for Netflix, iTunes and Xbox/PSN...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
Licensing is certainly the biggest one for streaming. Because as far as I know one needs no license to rent physical media. I remember when Red Box was going to be hit with a 30d delay they threatened to just buy the DVDs at Walmart.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to elefante72

to elefante72
Amazon doesn't have anything good on it. Netflix has many more options. Redbox is a poor me too on the streaming side.
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4

Amazon has continued adding content and recently added HBO to it's lineup. I don't know many people that wouldn't consider that good content.

Initially Prime was worth it simply for the unlimited 2 day shipping, now I'd say I consider their streaming to be at least half of that worth. Also, Amazon (not prime) does have many good TV shows available the next day for purchase at $~2-3/episode. My biggest gripe is their lack of streaming apps for tablets as they want to get you to buy their Kindles instead.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

I know about the HBO content, but I already have HBOGo with my HBO subscription. I just got prime, and was comparing it to Netflix, and there wasn't as much available. The two day shipping is only worth it if you buy a lot from Prime choices, which incidentally cost more than other choices. I know because I just bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon and STILL had a pretty significant shipping cost even with the PRIME discount. I've got it for the year, but there isn't too much on there that is drawing me to it. Also, I can use Prime on my ipad, but not my Galaxy tab or phones.

Overtkill
Premium Member
join:2005-09-21
Tooele, UT

Overtkill to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks
Indeed. Why drive to a store for movies when most are available through online providers like Amazon and Netflix.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by Overtkill:

Indeed. Why drive to a store for movies when most are available through online providers like Amazon and Netflix.

Netflix: Yeah. But Amazon? I can rent Blu-ray discs far less expensively from the local video store than I can from Amazon or any of the others.

Jim

SomeDudeHere
@65.184.20.x

SomeDudeHere to Overtkill

Anon

to Overtkill
said by Overtkill:

Quality/Availability.

Same reason for having a NetFlix disc subscription.

Let me know when those streams are available and have full HD audio/video resolution....

R2Glory
@68.65.97.x

R2Glory to Overtkill

Anon

to Overtkill
Because (1) Redbox may have a movie that is not available for online streaming, (2) or maybe your internet isn't fast enough to stream, (3) or your power goes out and you're on PC battery, (4) or you're camping where there is no signal... so, it's REDBOX to the rescue and then everyone is happy!
broadbandmav
join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY

broadbandmav to decifal7

to decifal7
If they were to say, provide free LTE access to those subscribing to their streaming service, I imagine that could help rural customers

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

aSic

Premium Member

Foundering?

Never heard of this term. I figured they meant to use "floundering" when I read the rest of the article. I looked it up, and sure enough, foundering exists, but I'm not sure it is the proper word, as it refers to filling a ship with water and sinking it. I wasnt aware the partnership was being dissolved, as sinking the ship is a kind of permanent thing. Floundering is much better as it refers to a hapless struggle, or to show great difficulty. Damn you WSJ and your big words.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

jseymour

Re: Foundering?

It's perfectly legitimate usage:
quote:
1. (of a ship, boat, etc.) to fill with water and sink.
2. to fall or sink down, as buildings, ground, etc.: Built on a former lake bed, the building has foundered nearly ten feet.
3. to become wrecked; fail utterly: The project foundered because public support was lacking.
4. to stumble, break down, or go lame, as a horse: His mount foundered on the rocky path.

Jim
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

500 out of 40,000: The Horror!

I don't think much of Redbox - it is essentially the Netflix Streaming "prime" (emphasis on quotes) movie title catalog in a vending machine; it ranks right up there with your local library's movie catalog.

But to suggest that a company culling 1% of their locations after a decade of growth indicates a trend or a "wall" ... well, that's rather embarrassing to read in the WSJ, which purports to be a business publication.

As for the failed partnership with Verizon, that was quite predictable.

Netflix Streaming is pathetic, but it was first, it is relatively cheap, and its library is stuffed with enough junk that the average subscriber can spend a lot of time "finding something to watch" and somehow, develops the pathology to ignore and excuse the lack of quality content.

For any newcomer to succeed, they would need to duplicate Netflix' massive library of scraps, their nominal collection of TV content, and then add something more to distinguish themselves, and deliver it at a better price point. That's a tall order.

R2Glory
@68.65.97.x

R2Glory

Anon

Kiosk closing is a huge mistake

They're looking at this from one direction. But mainly, people make their own choices - and to remove kiosks will delete a choice for those that do not have fast enough internet or no internet at all. When we go camping and do not have any signal, we stop at Redbox and get a few movies for us and the kids. Summer isn't here yet, and RB is deleting some of their income. That's a bad choice. I'd love to see them setup more creative offers, and play with their customers, such as;

Rent 2, get 1 Free TONIGHT
Rent 3 this week and get 1 FREE for your next 2 rentals
You're a WINNER - choose another movie on us !

So, you get the idea. Hire me, I'll help you make money.