spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-27 11:02:08: Frontier Communications wants to keep selling you landlines, but many users no longer have an interest in them. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

Power

Last time I had a major power outage and had POTS, the POTS was offline inside 5 hours. And came on about 24 hours after the house power came back a week later.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

Any Benefits?

Is there any reason for businesses to offer telephone service? Considering how important this always seems to be with every ISP, I'm guessing there is some kind of tax relief or government funds tunneled their direction for every customer they add? Or is it really just as simple as having the ability to include an add-on product at little to no cost?

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state

What?

Lots of hurricanes and tornadoes in Washington State? In what universe?
--
»www.teknonerd.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

1 edit

Do you have a link?

Karl, is there a press release or offer page for this?
That level of service is about all I want/expect from the phone company copper.

edit: it works now (slowly)

robbyglack

@50.243.146.x

though you could call 911 without any service

i guess i am mistaken but i thought any line connected to the network(including old unused lines) could be used for 911 even if there is no audible dial tone.

robbyglack

@50.243.146.x

surprised no one does paygo

to me uit would make sense for landline companies who already have deployed lines to offer per minute paygo account. if they only paid for what they used i am sure a few cell phone only families would add a landline to the mix and the carriers would make a little revenue which is better than nothing at all.

i know i would pay a one time install fee and put an initial balance on a paygo landline to hook into my PBX.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dispatcher21

Re: What?

said by dispatcher21:

Lots of hurricanes and tornadoes in Washington State? In what universe?

We do get a couple weak EF0's each year or two, and wind speeds in winter storms in western Washington often exceed hurricane force. (though it is rarely reported that way)
But it don't think those are major WASHINGTON state problems for phone service. (telephone wires are amazingly resilient to falling trees even when smashed to the ground the main repair tasks are ,remove the tree, replace the pole, hang the main bundles back up, reattach any service lines(few) pulled loose from any homes.
And nothing can make them mudslide proof.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

Re: Any Benefits?

Right. This is what I'm thinking. What is really going on here? Can't cell phones even without contract call 911?

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
if they have are in range of a tower, yes.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Verizon did it sort of

Interesting. Take a look at this from VZ.. Scroll down to Local and Regional.
$6.32 - $8.87 per month. Oh plus $6.77 to $9.01 for a dial tone.

»www.verizon.com/home/phone/freed···ngplans/

So it's really $13.09 to $17.88 per month.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to tshirt

Hmmm. I've been in Walla Walla 18 years and have never experienced what I would deem severe weather. We have microbursts around here that damage crops and high winds but nothing that would classify it as severe that would take down services or lead to a prolonged isolation.
--
»www.teknonerd.com

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

WOW

Even in the backwoods that I live in... Fairpoint serviced.
Your "disconnected" phone can call 911
not to mention Any Cell Phone can call 911 in service or not.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

How much are the regulatory recovery fees for 911 service?

Fees only... that's how much they should be allowed to charge, PERIOD.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Yea, cause it cost nothing to deliver this service?

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to dispatcher21

You need to read that line better. It only mentions the mud slides in the context of Washington state.

smcallah

join:2004-08-05
Home
reply to SunnyD

Re: How much are the regulatory recovery fees for 911 service?

So they don't get to charge for the copper line and maintaining it and for the connection at the CO it uses as well for maintaining the equipment in the CO?

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

Leftover dial-tone after cancelling landline phone service

This is the same service that many PSTN LEC leave active at no cost after a customer completely cancels their landline phone service. Except that that can only dial 911 and the telephone company customer service number; no 411. (Who needs 411 nowadays?)

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to Mike

Re: Verizon did it sort of

It must be geographic-specific plans you are seeing on Verizon. In NY Verizon doesn't offer the plan you are referring to. They do offer here a $2.99/month plan that costs 9 cents per local call and 11 cents per minute for regional calls. The plan, though, incurs additional regulatory charges such as the FCC line charge of $8/month (or something like that), taxes, local 911 fees and who knows what else.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to battleop

$5/month would already be infinitely more than what they earn from unused lines that they still need to maintain and most likely have tons of unused line termination ports for.

Not using infrastructure once it is built or otherwise acquired has costs too.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS

Isn't this generally free?

As far as I know, any line physically connected to line equipment is required to route a 911 call, at least up here in Canada. In the 70's thru early 00's they were building the infrastructure assuming everyone would have a landline and each house thus generally has a dedicated line. Generally the line is just left in place even if you cancel (software disabled), so it can easily be re-enabled without a tech visit. Not a guarantee by any stretch, but better than paying $5 a month.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to josephf

Re: Leftover dial-tone after cancelling landline phone service

said by josephf:

This is the same service that many PSTN LEC leave active at no cost after a customer completely cancels...

That's the way I read it too.
At my rental houses you can plug in to any jack to call 911, Operator, or the sales dept. to signup for service, even on a line that hasn't had service for years.
The days of physical disconnects are over, so getting $5 (plus 911 and USF fees) would be an upside if they can convince MOST users to buy in.

josephf

reply to pb2k

Re: Isn't this generally free?

This is what I wrote above.

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
reply to pb2k
So the $5 is for being able to call 411? I also thought regardless if there's active service you should have the ability to call 911 or the operator(customer service center)?

sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
reply to ArrayList

If I live that far out in the sticks with no cell tower around.. I'd invest in a Sat phone.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to InvalidError

There is much more to this than the copper hanging on the poles. I'm sure you are not going to work for free so I don't see why you would expect their employees to work for free as well.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

boognish
Premium
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA
kudos:6
reply to sparky007

After major hurricanes cell phone service usually doesn't work very well. If you keep trying you can probably get a text message through, but good luck with a phone call.
--
don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to robbyglack

Re: surprised no one does paygo

said by robbyglack :

to me uit would make sense for landline companies who already have deployed lines to offer per minute paygo account.

I think if you go through an operator you'll get billed (credit/debit card) for a VERY expensive call, unless you sign up.
and most place 411 has a hefty ($1-2?) charge plus more if they connect you (basically automatic operator assisted call).

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

free

this service (911) is otherwise, FREE even to unregistered cell phone handsets..
the other 9/11 everybody is paying for in their higher gasoline prices, and throughout the economy.

customers are looking for broadband more than phone or video.. and frontier seems to not want to be in that business at all.. how sad for a Telco!

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to pb2k

Re: Isn't this generally free?

said by pb2k:

As far as I know, any line physically connected to line equipment is required to route a 911 call, at least up here in Canada. Generally the line is just left in place even if you cancel (software disabled), so it can easily be re-enabled without a tech visit. Not a guarantee by any stretch, but better than paying $5 a month.

Power (said by ke4pym)
Last time I had a major power outage and had POTS, the POTS was offline inside 5 hours. And came on about 24 hours after the house power came back a week later.

Yes, Telco Lines with Twisted Copper will still have Dial Tone on the Line if the Cable Pair is left active. You have very limited calling like 911, because the Line is not Built Out no Telephone Number assigned. So the $5 will assure the Line will stay up with Limited Calling.

As for Power a Telco POTS Line is Powered from the C.O. and should stay up with Dial Tone as long as that Office does not go down. Most people now have Wireless Phones, or Powered Phones with Voice Mail and Messages, these Phones will go down when their Back-up Power runs down.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
reply to battleop

I wonder how much power you could draw off a "disconnected" line? certainly enough to run a few LED's maybe even to power a cable modem.