dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-29 18:26:22: Back in January you might recall that Google started heavily promoting a video quality report for YouTube that tracked YouTube streaming performance by ISP. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Yes
@50.182.54.x

Yes

Anon

Youtube getting HD my area 93-98% of the time

Youtube is getting HD in my zipcode 93-98% of the time.

elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Pot, Kettle

Google caused this whole problem when they disabled pre-buffering.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

Google Fiber declares itself HD Verified

But not the others in KC. Surprise...

»dl.dropboxusercontent.co ··· iber.png

Not sure how meaningful this is given that some people have the 'free' 5M service.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike

Mod

That's depressing

Okay so I'm on FiOS.

"View other providers in your area"

Only other choice is Comcast.

damn it.
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC

Stats

These statistics will look bad for any ISP that offers an economy tier, or offers public WiFi service (as those stats will drop the overall ranking and make it appear as if the ISP cannot sustain HD streams).

Mediocre at best, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll adjust things later.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to elray

to elray

Re: Pot, Kettle

Funny, I can download data in GBs at full speed for an extended period of time yet I can't stream a 720p or 1080p video on Youtube without some sort of buffering on a 30Mbps connection. Seems to me, my ISP is purposely degrading Youtube performance to some end. Maybe so they can extort money? Me thinks that is the case. Google is not the problem here.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by sandman_1:

Funny, I can download data in GBs at full speed for an extended period of time yet I can't stream a 720p or 1080p video on Youtube without some sort of buffering on a 30Mbps connection. Seems to me, my ISP is purposely degrading Youtube performance to some end. Maybe so they can extort money? Me thinks that is the case. Google is not the problem here.

your tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight.

78036364 (banned) to BlueC

to BlueC

Re: Stats

also I bet it doesn't take into account people who deliberately stream in lower quality even though they could be streaming in HD.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

excellent results here...

... on comcast at 1080, higher rates stumble due to a crappy video card.
but almost all western Washington providers are PRETTY good at the measured 720p
the exceptions are in the san juan islands (limited backhaul) and Oly peninsula based companies (somewhat limited backhaul)

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Hold On Now

"When your ISP receives your video from YouTube, they begin the important job of carrying it across their network to your home. They must ensure there’s enough capacity where they receive the data from YouTube. Otherwise, your video streaming quality will suffer."

Exactly what does Google mean by this statement? Clearly this is the responsibility of the company sending the data, and not the responsibility of the ISP to support their paying customers. Otherwise, what the hell was Netflix doing paying Comcast to ensure there was enough capacity for Comcast's interconnections and "last mile" to its captive customer base?

It should be Google's responsibility from what Comcast told me.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

It's YouTube that wack not your ISP

Smaller video services have no problem showing videos
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to BlueC

to BlueC

Yeah, I agree. Even Google Fiber offers a 5M tier that impact their own results.

»dl.dropboxusercontent.co ··· iber.png

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207

Re: Hold On Now

Google means exactly what it says. Herein lies the problem though. Netflix set a pretty dangerous precedent with regards to net neutrality when they signed a deal with Comcast. However, they didn't have a choice.

The ISP is responsible to provide you with enough capacity (especially at the prices you pay your ISP) to reach whatever content you desire. Rather than adjust to accommodate their own customers, they indulge in sketchy business practices such as what Google is stating and the end result (aside from pissing their own customers off) allows them to double dip. Getting paid twice for the same data.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364

I don't know. It says my ISP has 96% HD. While my ISP has 0 streaming issues, I doubt 96% of videos watched are even offered in HD.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to nekkidtruth

to nekkidtruth

said by nekkidtruth:

Google means exactly what it says. Herein lies the problem though. Netflix set a pretty dangerous precedent with regards to net neutrality when they signed a deal with Comcast. However, they didn't have a choice.

That Comcast deal is not the same as the "fast lane" deals everyone is having a hissy fit about. And even a rock solid net neutrality law would not prevent Comcast type deals. All Netflix did was swap Cogent for Comcast when it comes to Comcast traffic.

78036364 (banned) to odreian615

to odreian615

Re: It's YouTube that wack not your ISP

because they don't have 1% the traffic YouTube does
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

2 edits

silbaco

Premium Member

Rankings

Could use some work. It seems to identify Mediacom as At&t and in many areas it doesn't even show up. It groups me in on to the wrong market. And has some ISPs listed in areas they don't even offer service.

Edit: The results are not the same for everyone. If I use a VPN I can't even look at my market because there is not enough info.
silbaco

silbaco to existenz

Premium Member

to existenz

Re: Google Fiber declares itself HD Verified

Some people also have 1.5Mbps/3Mbps service from the incumbents to save money. That can distort results.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to sandman_1

Premium Member

to sandman_1

Comcast had issues for years.
BiggA

BiggA to BlueC

Premium Member

to BlueC

I'm sure they have ways of filtering that out. People could have slow wifi too.
BiggA

BiggA to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
What I want to know is why my YouTube has never defaulted to 1080p- it always defaults to 480p and then I have to manually change it...
BiggA

BiggA

Premium Member

Actually, it will go to 720p, but not 1080p...

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: excellent results here...

Weird, they're identifying Wave Broadband as Astound Broadband in western WA. Astound only serves the SF Bay area (though they're Wave's sister company). These listings could use a bit of work, still.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Mine defaults to 360P despite the fact that my internet is fast enough to stream their 4K.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Killing the pre-buffering ruined the Youtube experience for me. Thankfully Firefox has the 'Youtube Center' add-on, which among other things, allows you to DISABLE the 'superior' DASH Playback 'feature'.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

1 recommendation

nekkidtruth to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364

Which shouldn't have been necessary had Comcast been doing what they're suppose to be doing by catering to their customers. Instead, we now have double dipping and it smacks net neutrality in the face. You're talking about the Netflix deal with Comcast like it isn't basically the same thing as a "fast lane" deal. They are the same and Comcast is double dipping with both.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
said by 78036364:

That Comcast deal is not the same as the "fast lane" deals everyone is having a hissy fit about. And even a rock solid net neutrality law would not prevent Comcast type deals. All Netflix did was swap Cogent for Comcast when it comes to Comcast traffic.

In 2010, wasn't it Level 3 Communications that Netflix was using that was having issues with Comcast? Seems like there really wasn't much of a choice for Netflix to do business with Comcast's captive customers no matter what option they attempted to use, so they had to directly pay Comcast.

I think I've got it now. If your business is in a position with dominant control of an area with no legitimate competition and no alternatives for your customer base, then you are free to use this leverage to demand payment for services that would otherwise already have been paid for in a situation where competition existed.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
London, ON

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

Bingo. Toss in they now get paid from both ends and well...
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC to BiggA

to BiggA

said by BiggA:

I'm sure they have ways of filtering that out. People could have slow wifi too.

How so? How would they be able to pinpoint the difference between someone being limited by the service tier they're subscribed to and a slow WiFi connection (something the ISP has basically no control over)?

It's very misleading to take a small sample of experiences and weigh that against the vast majority of user experiences within a network.

Most ISPs should be able to support HD streams. It just so happens a lot of subscribers tend to take the cheapest tier, and the cheapest tier could easily be under the throughput required to sustain HD.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater to 78036364

MVM

to 78036364

said by 78036364:

your tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight.

Not really, did you see what happened to Netflix? same problem for youtube.
page: 1 · 2 · next