dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-05-30 12:26:17: Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes, like many in the cable and broadcast industry, still doesn't think cord cutting is a real threat, now or ever. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to hortnut

Premium Member

to hortnut

Re: He's basically right

I think most people who have cable do watch stuff on it, and conversely most people watch stuff on cable. I just don't think they have that much to worry about. There is a little bit of "right sizing" for a market that was a bit bloated in the first place...

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

"How wude."

My family had been cordcutters most of my life (working too). Antenna(s/e) and Internet FTW.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to michieru

to michieru

Re: !

Yes because youre not using regular cable you would be a cord cutter. Look at DirecTV's numbers and others adding customers over cable. Those customers transferring companies for deals are NOT true cord cutters. they're just playing the promo game.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill

Premium Member

It is easier than ever to bypass the monthly cable bill

Back in 2007 I bought a used Tivo w/ lifetime for $200 and promptly downgraded my $65/month full cable package to $8/month 'broadcast-only", buying whatever 'cable' shows I wanted from Amazon Video ($2 per commercial-free episode, pushed down automatically to my Tivo).

Then I won a newer Tivo HD w/ lifetime, bought an HDTV, went OTA & dropped cable altogether. I could even watch Netflix through this newer Tivo (no need for another box).

Last year I watched DirecTV's 'Sunday Ticket' via a code from the $99 "Madden 25th Anniversary" XBox game (sold the game itself for $40) & Chrome-casted football to my HDTV.

So even sports (MLB, etc.) are now more available to us 'cord-trimmers' than in the past.

(And scripted 'cable' shows are still available, commercial-free, from Apple or Amazon, so it's not really 'about content' - content producers already license alternative distribution channels).
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to FreedomThink

to FreedomThink

Re: I am a cord cutter

About the same time that the news wings got folded into the advertising wings of the broadcasters, so about a year after Reagan killed the "Fairness Doctrine" so that the companies no longer had to produce news covering both sides of the story and do so even if at a loss as a public service.

The end result is what we have today, where everything is a damn advertisement telling you exactly what and how they want you to think.
intok

intok (banned) to iknow_t

to iknow_t
Most of the 100+ cable channels you pay for have ads, show me where I can get AMC, SyFy, Discovery, MTV etc OTA?

Specifically the movie channels you listed don't, but then they also only have 1-2 shows running at any one time of the year and fill in the rest of their time with old movies everyone has already seen and they have played a thousand times already. They also do so at jacked up prices.

OhReally
@24.192.115.x

OhReally to TechyDad

Anon

to TechyDad

No. Your wrong. Cord cutting is getting rid of TV and Internet. All those who say they are cord cutters but keep forking it over for internet are only living a pipe dream. The ONLY cord cutting is OTA. Period. Get it right.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: I'm not a cord cutter

said by IowaCowboy:

I live with my mother and grandma (have to help take care of my aging grandmother in poor health) and I'm the one paying the DirecTV bill.

who pays all the other bills? Where did the Maine house come from?

Cord cutters of course are not in ma or grandmas basement. Their money is free and clear.
I have a house and family and cord cut because of that. Have other real bills to pay and my elderly mom messed up years before I was allowed.to do anything about it. So now after my dads death someone needs to keep the mess at bay.
You have no mess so of course not a cord.cutter. if nature happens and grandma and ma die before you get back to me then. Hopefully many years but still what is today will not be then.
sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound

Typical CEO Speak

ha ha. Cord cutter and mucho happyo for doing it. Hope all his money stuck in his mattress is making him as pleased with life as I am. On with the day.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

chasing it tail, to the bottom of a barrel on QOS

cable-tv may still have 90+ million subscribers, but as broadband becomes universal.. and maybe cheaper & faster (market conditions dependent), this will evolve beyond the subscription channel model. you could see a transition on not subscribing to "channels" but favorite programs from each provider (inclusive of various LIVE content tiers)-- on demand in the future. the problem with this model is the cost structure needs to be re-worked to be fair and affordable. to-date, grabbing whatever you can for free or low cost is winning out because the major incumbents refuse to evolve the model towards something that is sustainable and of interest to subscribers. this resistance is futile, because like it or not, this (evolution) is here to stay. only forcing unsustainable higher costs on internet subscribers could change that behavior-- in which case, it's a lose-lose proposition (see threads about the 3 strikes anti-piracy campaign/cable rate hike season).. they lose video revenues, and then lose internet revenues on top of it..

google at least understands the ultra broadband vision (at a low cost) part of the equation, if nothing else.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to OhReally

Premium Member

to OhReally

There are plenty of cord cutters who continue to use Internet and get some video entertainment from Netflix, Amazon, etc. OTA is part of the cord cutting formula, but not the entire thing. (Of course, if a cord cutter is satisfied with OTA, that's perfectly fine as well.) I don't think you'll find any cord cutters on BBR who have ditched their Internet connection as well.

karlj
@75.119.228.x

karlj to tabernak4

Anon

to tabernak4

Re: I am a cord cutter

I'm a cord-cutter in Canada. I have an OTA antenna, Netflix and that's good enough. I absolutely hated to have to buy 50 channels I didn't want, to get 4 or 5 that were interesting. Now my kids are growing up in a house without cable or satellite TV. They will most likely be cord-nevers when they finally leave home.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3