spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-02 16:20:27: While Verizon's FiOS service once paved the trail for quality, the last few years have seen the company and service pave new trails when it comes to price hikes and the addition of a wide variety of new fees. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Wrong direction

If anything, digital voice services should be going down in price not up.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
how is this legal?

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

I think its time...

To release the kraken!
Last year it was a $.99 fee on the FiOS internet service.
Now a $2 increase for FiOS Digital Voice? What is this? How did Verizon's cost of maintaining a digital voice account increase by $2? its more or less a VOIP line, stripped of most of the VOIP features.
Bollocks to the Big Red.
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
Reviews:
·Wave Broadband
·CenturyLink

8 recommendations

reply to Greg2600

Re: Wrong direction

said by Greg2600:

how is this legal?

It's legal because the current chairman of the FCC was a former cable lobbyist, and the FCC doesn't give 2 shits about protecting the ISP's customers.

O1OOO1O

join:2005-12-23
Lewisville, TX

Ummmmm

I read it as .99 cents per FDV line; not a $2 charge per bill.

LTE4LIFE

join:2013-02-28

when will it stop??

I bet if you put a bullet in some of the upper management and board of directors, the greed would stop.. Reminds me of that movie, `Assault of Wall Street'. Loved that movie!!! Wish it would be done for real!

TAZ

join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ
kudos:3

8 recommendations

reply to bmccoy

Shouldn't this be the FTC's job, not FCC? "Account servicing costs" are a cost of doing business. No reason it shouldn't be included in the service price and not doing so is simply deceptive.

(Same with CenturyLink's "Internet cost recovery fee" to "cover the costs of maintaining the network"? What... I thought that's what the service price was supposed to cover?)

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Have to be willing to walk...

There are very few things you can do to your advantage in this world. One is close your wallet and the other is use your feet.

You have to be willing to close your wallet and walk away, no matter how supposedly great the service or how tempting it is. More than you want to pay? The best revenge is not being a customer period, no matter what.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Zoder

Actually, the VOIP fees charged now are going up nationwide due to many local municipalities tacking on their OWN local-yocal surcharges on VOIP (based on actual called minutes, not cost to the consumer) this means your voip surcharges, taxes & fees could end up being what a regular line was years ago.. $10 a month in fees/taxes/line charge from the fcc.

This fee basically goes to the Verizon profit column and nothing else. It makes triple play less attractive since it's YOU that's getting played (for a fool).

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09

2 recommendations

Airfare

If the government can force airlines to advertise the actual ticket price (including all taxes and fees), then why can't they force the internet providers?
--
isheavenforreal.com

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
I'd be happy if gasoline service stations had to display the actual cost of gas and not the cost only if you purchase a car wash.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to tmc8080

"due to many local municipalities tacking on their OWN local-yocal surcharges"

It's out of control. Just in the county I live in there are something like 13 tax districts and probably a hundred just in this LATA alone. Every town has their hand out looking for their cut. There isn't a set rate so you can't do a one side fits all.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Have to be willing to walk...

No one is willing to make that sacrifice. They prefer to bitch and moan because that's easier.

battleop

reply to biochemistry

Re: Airfare

Because in my county alone there would be at least a dozen different prices to advertise.

battleop

2 recommendations

reply to JimThePCGuy
Huh? I've never seen a gas station that didn't advertise the per gallon price.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
Lots of places around here do this. In great big numbers on the sign is how much the gas costs per gallon* when you buy a car wash. In smaller numbers down below somewhere is the real price, usually 20-30 cents higher because the car wash costs $10.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

Time for people to lobby their consumer protection unions.

Ask for a bill requiring that retailers include all non-optional fees in advertised rates.

clone

Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to battleop

So? The telcos make you enter your whole damned street address just to check services on a website anyway (so they can gouge you based on how much competition serves your particular block of town), it wouldn't be hard to at least make them show the real prices online.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to Zoder

Exactly. And what is the regular monthly bill going towards? That doesn't cover their administrative bills? Crazy...

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
reply to battleop
Ooma (my provider has a by zip code breakdown) luckily many municipalities in NY aren't as bad as some in say, Tennessee or Arkansas

Red Hazard
Premium
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to clone

said by clone:

Lots of places around here do this. In great big numbers on the sign is how much the gas costs per gallon* when you buy a car wash. In smaller numbers down below somewhere is the real price, usually 20-30 cents higher because the car wash costs $10.

If you had a large motorhome, you could get the car wash, not really use it, and save a lot of money buying a couple hundred gallons at those prices.

clone

Portage, IN
They limit the discount to the 1st 30 gallons or some such crap.

mikeluscher159

join:2011-09-04

what in the actual.....

Calling Verizon.....
Calling the FCC......
Calling the FTC........
Tomorrow.....................

I suggest you all do the same

fg8578

join:2009-04-26
Salem, OR
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

how is this legal?

Because VoIP is unregulated.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to biochemistry

Lack of desire.

jjeffeory

USA
reply to battleop
In California they have the cash price that is often .10 per gallon lower than the credit price that most people pay with these days. Other stations make you go to an ATM like device to use a debit card. It's crazy here. Some stations have one price regardless of payment type. Other stations list cash price and credit price that are different. Depends on the particular station.

battleop

reply to tmc8080

Here some zip codes span multiple jurisdictions. For example 37421 includes The city of Chattanooga and Hamilton County which are two different tax rates.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

reply to jjeffeory

The separate cash and credit price for gas here isn't as common as it once was.

jjeffeory

USA
I've lived all over the country and each region has slightly different practices.

battleop

The practice seems to died with the independent stations here.