dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-03 17:52:47: Verizon appears to have made a few tweaks to the company's Edge handset early upgrade program. ..

captinkirk
join:2012-12-12
Tucson, AZ

captinkirk

Sadly Verizon continues to ignore current customers

Sadly Verizon continues to ignore current customers who haven't upgraded in over 18 months and they still refuse to give them price breaks. The only way that I can see a price reduction on my bill is to go to their EDGE program and upgrade. I am happy with my device and dont want to upgrade. I dont get this.

Anon6752
@166.205.68.x

Anon6752

Anon

You're still paying off your phone from 18 months ago so they have no incentive to give you money for no reason. Once you're out of contract in a few months, you'll get that $10 or $25 discount too, even if you're not on EDGE (as long as you're on the More Everything plan to begin with.

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Fairbanks, AK

McLovin to captinkirk

Premium Member

to captinkirk
Strange indeed. AT&T just requires you to not be under contract, or be on their "Next" early upgrade program.

As Karl alluded to, the best way is still to buy a phone at retail and sell your old one through a reputable seller, or through here on the forsale board, which I do semi-frequently...
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to captinkirk

to captinkirk
I'm on More everything......
3 smart phones on a traditional 2 year contract. Barring the $24 in insurances, and including the $10 Double up discount, my bills STILL $240~
Pissed is an understatement

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan

Turning the screws...

Verizon is doing this because they believe they can get away with it, and they will continue to do this as long as customers are willing to go along with it.

There are very few things you can do to your advantage in this world: One is close your wallet and the other is use your feet. You have to be willing to close your wallet and walk away. So it's Verizon... so what?

LEAVE!

Sprint (for now) and T-Mobile will pay off your ETF and buy your phone. You'll save money. You'll have the option of unlimited data.

Want to get back at Verizon and make them feel it for this? Don't be a customer... period.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to mikeluscher159

to mikeluscher159

Re: Sadly Verizon continues to ignore current customers

said by mikeluscher159:

I'm on More everything......
3 smart phones on a traditional 2 year contract. Barring the $24 in insurances, and including the $10 Double up discount, my bills STILL

$240~

Pissed is an understatement

Get yourself 10$ loyalty credit , 10$ per contract line per month.

It extends contract if there is less then 1 year left if there is more then 1 yesr it wont change the length
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to captinkirk

to captinkirk
said by captinkirk:

Sadly Verizon continues to ignore current customers who haven't upgraded in over 18 months and they still refuse to give them price breaks. The only way that I can see a price reduction on my bill is to go to their EDGE program and upgrade. I am happy with my device and dont want to upgrade. I dont get this.

You signed a 24 month contract so what is so unusual about asking you to fulfil it? I'm pretty positive if Verizon changed the terms of your 24 month contract 18 months into it in their favor you'd DEMAND they abide by the original agreement.

78036364 (banned) to McLovin

to McLovin
said by McLovin:

Strange indeed. AT&T just requires you to not be under contract, or be on their "Next" early upgrade program.

Same requirement Verizon has.

78036364 (banned) to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: Turning the screws...

said by IPPlanMan:

Verizon is doing this because they believe they can get away with it, and they will continue to do this as long as customers are willing to go along with it.

What exactly is Verizon getting away with?

78036364 (banned)

Already seeing the haters

posting about something they obviously don't know a thing about.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

itguy05 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

quote:
This quarter should be interesting. Last quarter Verizon had a negative net add (excluding the tablet crutch) and churn was up. I wonder what Q2 will hold for them... I hope it's more net defections.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to Anon6752

to Anon6752

said by Anon6752 :

You're still paying off your phone from 18 months ago so they have no incentive to give you money for no reason. Once you're out of contract in a few months, you'll get that $10 or $25 discount too, even if you're not on EDGE (as long as you're on the More Everything plan to begin with.

Actually Verizon has a promo thru the end of June where anyone under contract who hasn't upgraded since Feb 1st 2014 can get on the Edge program.

You are correct in 6 months the complainer will get a $10 or $25 a month discount if he chooses not to upgrade. How terrible of Verizon to do that.

78036364 (banned) to itguy05

to itguy05

said by itguy05:

This quarter should be interesting. Last quarter Verizon had a negative net add (excluding the tablet crutch) and churn was up. I wonder what Q2 will hold for them... I hope it's more net defections.

hate much? Churn was still lower than anyone else even T-Mobile Hmmmm. Yes went from 0.96% churn to a whopping 1.07%. An entire 0.11% increase
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Churn is going up because consumers have new options for prepaid such as tracfone's android lineup with a minimum payment of $20 every 90 days.. This helps bring in the low end of the market, while giving consumers a reason to churn if they are having budget problems.. I think this is great because you can get a wifi enabled smartphone and utilize wifi for data's mass consumption while sticking it to the carriers' overpriced data.. Verizon included. Consumers have been asking for this for a LOOONG time!
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

itguy05 to 78036364

to 78036364
quote:
hate much? Churn was still lower than anyone else even T-Mobile Hmmmm. Yes went from 0.96% churn to a whopping 1.07%. An entire 0.11% increase
Considering Verizon prides themselves on the low churn any increase is bad. And the fact they actually LOST phone customers tells. You loose a little today, those tell their friends about the good service elsewhere and they leave, etc, etc. Happened to AT&T when they were on the top. No reason it can't happen to Verizon.

And no hate on Verizon - I'm still a shareholder of theirs.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to patt2k

to patt2k

I'll see if there willing to budge. TBF I did get 1 gig of free promo data for a year, So its More Everything with 7gigs.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

2 recommendations

itguy05 to 78036364

to 78036364

Re: Already seeing the haters

You obviously know nothing as well

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Yep.. I took a used iPhone 4s, put it on Selectel's $30/month plan ( - no extra fees!) This plan gives me 1300 minutes, 3000 text messages and 300 Mb of data. That is all the data I need since I am near WiFi most of the time.

This was not done because I was having a "budget problem", but just because I hate over paying.

This is the same network as my old Verizon plan, just no LTE. For $50.00/ month savings I will wait another 0.5 seconds for a page to load.
captinkirk
join:2012-12-12
Tucson, AZ

captinkirk to 78036364

to 78036364

No, I am asking Verizon to match what market conditions are. I also am pretty sure that Verizon has changed the terms of the 24 month contracts to suite their bottom line by saying terms are subject to change, while keeping users locked in.
captinkirk

captinkirk to 78036364

to 78036364
Yes, but you have to upgrade. I don't want to upgrade.

Anon6752
@50.180.37.x

Anon6752

Anon

More important than being required to upgrade is the fact that you'd have to trade in your existing phone and it must be in fully working condition, if you want to do that "Early EDGE" program. If you wait until your 24 months is fully up, then you'll get that $10 discount (or $25), and you can decide whatever you wish to do for your next handset upgrade, whether that's hopping on another 2-year contract, or doing EDGE, or buying a phone off eBay, or whatever.

Originally you only got the discount if you were on EDGE, correct, but they later amended it to be more similar to AT&T's plan where it's simply a matter of whether or not you're in contract. See »Verizon Wireless Tweaks 'Share Everything' Discounts Again [13] comments
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to McLovin

to McLovin
That is incorrect. I have ATT's 10GB family share plan. I am getting $25 credits on all five lines. However, 1-line is on Next, 1-line is out of contract, 1-line in contract until 8-2015, 1-line in contract until 11-2014 and 1-line in contract until 6-2015. So as you can see I get the credits and have several phones under contract and not on the next program.
nitin00
join:2010-01-17
Stockton, CA

nitin00

At&t discount conditions.

AT&T still gives you discount if you switch to 10gb mobile share value plan and signed a contract before feb 2nd this year. The discount is $25 each smartphone line, and basic phones are $15.

You get a $15 discount on each smartphone line if you move to mobile share value plan 2gb-6gb if you singed a contract before march 9th this year.

300mb and 1gb plan do not get discount.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

I recently went with verizon 3 days ago 1 line on the edge program gives me 25 dollars off montly for getting 10gb plan

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

You aren't going to win

What they are doing is raising the monthly payments and still requiring a year before you get a no-cost upgrade. Having the pay-off shortened to 20 months isn't such a bad thing. There really are no good options if you want to be with VZ as I do. Edge is a great way to get into a new phone with little to no up-front costs. I stupidly used it for my current smartphone, a Droid Maxx. When the phone came out it was $300 with a 2 year contract. Add a $35 new phone fee and few accessories and you were over the $400 line before you could take a second breath. It's now a almost a year later and I love my phone. I have no plans to replace it. The payments to VZ continue. By the time it over I will have paid $650 for the phone, when I could have got it for $335. That's like 50% annual interest with absolutely no benefit. Somehow, even after upgrading to two 4G phones I am still on an unlimited data plan. Don't ask how I worked that one out because I didn't. It just happened. I'm not ready to move over to a share everything plan until the kids are on their own, so no benefit to Edge with a monthly discount.

The next phone I purchased was a few months ago. Got my wife a 32GB Moto-X for close to $400. That was just as stupid although it is a great phone. Could have got one from VZ for free with a 2 year contract. By this Christmas, I will have 4 phones off contract with the exception of the Edge phone, which is really worse then a contract phone. It seems like an accomplishment, but in reality I have spent way more money then I had to for that privilege.

Edge starts to make sense with the 10GB shared plan. The $25 discount pays for most of the phone even with this price hike. A high end phone will average in the low $30s a month, costing you 5-10 bucks a month. In fact, if you don't need 10GB, work the numbers out because you may be better off just going for it instead of something less. I just worked the numbers out for someone and found the costs identical for a 4GB plan with the smaller discount.

We do a lot of camping and I can't be without a VZ phone. I hate the fact that we are paying them so much money, but the service is superior in every regard. I have a T-Mobile driven iPad air and it has been worthless. I haven't been able to use it in one place we have camped. The VZ phone in the same places has 4G so fast I can watch Netflix on it without a single burp. You get what you pay for, but don't pay them more than you have to as I have done.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364

said by 78036364:

Actually Verizon has a promo thru the end of June where anyone under contract who hasn't upgraded since Feb 1st 2014 can get on the Edge program.

I tried twice to get the early edge at a Verizon store. Both times he said my account was not showing as eligible but he could not explain why. Has anyone been able to complete and Early Edge upgrade?