dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-04 09:04:09: At the same time AT&T was quietly informing investors that the company would be cutting fixed-line network investment, the company was telling regulators that they'd expand fiber to the home 1 Gbps "Gigapower" service if their acquisition of DirecTV .. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

Additional 13 million?

Is there any confirmation that the "additional 13 million" will just be LTE?

It seems there are some outlets that are claiming it will be U-Verse upgrades, and of course around here the thinking is that it will be wireless. Since they're already basically committed to expanding LTE to their entire wireline service area through their push to decommission TDM network, it seems like possibly (hopefully?) this "new" broadband expansion will actually be wireline not wireless.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

Remember they promised 100,000 new jobs in the T mobile sale

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to mixdup

News Guy

to mixdup
It will be mostly LTE. From AT&T's original announcement:
quote:
AT&T will use the merger synergies to expand its plans to build and enhance high-speed broadband service to 15 million customer locations, mostly in rural areas where AT&T does not provide high-speed broadband service today, utilizing a combination of technologies including fiber to the premises and fixed wireless local loop capabilities.
With no CAPEX bump, and AT&T being AT&T, you're just not going to see any meaningful "fiber to the prem" expansion of any scale. The lion's share is going to be LTE.

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho

Yeah right.

2 buildings will get fiber and the rest will get LTE.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode

Re: Additional 13 million?

Karl - T's wireless margins are being compressed though. Say they get their wish and completely dump DSL/POTS - I have to think somebody would do a WISP or coax overbuild at that point; LTE will never support streaming video on a meaningful scale. Those same consumers can get their video programming via Direct TV, but stable/fast internet is more sought after, and LTE just won't cut it.

They are driving themselves into being a dumb pipe faster than they realize (in the consumer space, they still make good coin on enterprise stuff).

Also, gotta tip my hat to Apple with Wifi calling in iOS 8. Yes, Android has had this for years but this is the tipping point that will force VZW into offering it, which delights me tremendously (heard whispers they were looking somehow meter VoLTE). To hell with the carriers!
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

bs

bunch of bs, the places that will see the 1Gbps will already see it anyways as it will be in the most dense populations...

Freaking liars
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Sounds Like a Jewelry Store Sale...

Quietly raise prices the week before the big 50% off sale.

Perhaps ATT is cutting fixed-line investment now so when they close the DirecTV deal, they can increase it to the former level and amazingly, show an increase.
GoodOmens
join:2005-07-06
Washington, DC

GoodOmens

Ha - why not just spend the 48.5 billion and give everyone fiber
jorcmg
join:2002-10-24
USA

jorcmg

They wont for the same reasons google wont.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to karpodiem

to karpodiem

I read about some new scheme that creates some kind of cell around each device. There was a recent article (possibly referenced here) where someone showed a bunch of iPads streaming video at the same time using the same LTE node.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to GoodOmens

to GoodOmens

Re: ....

But.. But.. that would make sense!

Rip out all the copper and replace it with fiber. Spend $48.5bil now and get most of it back when they recycle all the copper.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

that would be pCell - »www.marketwired.com/pres ··· 5386.htm

Dish was actually taking a look at it, they are the only provider (I know of) that has publicly acknowledged that they are trialing it.

we're probably 5-7 years away from it, if the technology is even viable.
captinkirk
join:2012-12-12
Tucson, AZ

3 recommendations

captinkirk to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

In all serious I would pay an installation fee of under 200 bucks if they would guarantee a 1gbps FIBER TO THE HOME connection. The problem is the bean counters are too sold on milking copper when they could have installed fiber back when they did uverse initially and recouped most of those costs back by now as well as the savings they would have had from not having to deal with an outdated copper plant. Instead it was all about keeping capex to a min and profits to a max. What the dumb asses dont realize is that they would have had larger profits in the end because uverse would have grown more because they had a quality product behind it instead of a half assed one. Public opinion would have been diffrent with a FTTH uverse versus a FTTN uverse product.
jorcmg
join:2002-10-24
USA

jorcmg

ATT should sell its copper plant for scrap. Google fiber is building the new network. Lol

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex

Premium Member

Promises

Nothing weighs lighter than a promise. ~German Proverb

For every promise, there is price to pay. ~Jim Rohn

Promises are meant to be broken.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

2 Million?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that around how many xFITL locations they serve? My bet is this is where the FTTP upgrades happen.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Sorry

No deal AT&T. If you expanded FTTH to 100% of homes with lesser wireline AT&T service, we could talk. Now if only I was in charge.
masterbinky
join:2011-01-06
Carlsbad, NM

2 recommendations

masterbinky

Odd..

So is AT&T saying without the directTV deal it would not be able to deploy those 2 million fiber connections? This sounds more like extortion than bargaining.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Since when did...

Companies in a merger get to set milestones in their merger for approval. Last time I checked we the people should set the milestone ?

Sorry But Im seeing this as we will give all our current fiber deploys gig if we can get this done. There will be no expansion, if there is it will be to very few places, probably mostly densely populated high rises in their service area and feed them all to a oversaturated backhaul.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

like verizon?

i believe verizon promised something similar to new jersey.

»New Jersey Wants The 45 Mbps Verizon Promised 20 Years Ago [77] comments

wonder how that worked out?

(oh yeah, wireless LTE! that counts, right?)

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to tigerpaw509

Premium Member

to tigerpaw509

said by tigerpaw509:

Remember they promised 100,000 new jobs in the T mobile sale

I'm sure this will happen. It seems I am defecating winged primates.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Copper vs. wireless

I know wireless has way more connectivity. But which has more bandwidth potential?

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to Gilitar

News Guy

to Gilitar

Re: 2 Million?

Yes. They already planned to upgrade 2 million developments with faster 1 Gbps FTTP to battle Google Fiber. They're now pretending this is a new plan simply to get DirecTV deal approved.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to biochemistry

to biochemistry

Re: Sorry

said by biochemistry:

No deal AT&T. If you expanded FTTH to 100% of homes with lesser wireline AT&T service, we could talk. Now if only I was in charge.

"This is not how all this Works," I keep telling you guys if you want FTTH you have to make an attractive offer to a Company. AT&T has made some mistakes, and you guys are right they should have gone with Fiber in that Last Mile. Now with the DirecTV deal AT&T wants to reach more homes with Triple Play. With existing U-Verse customers AT&T could off load the Bandwidth with DirecTV and give customers faster Internet with their Copper Based U-Verse. The only Communities that will see GigaPower are the ones that unite and approach AT&T with a lucrative proposal.

att tech
@144.160.226.x

att tech

Anon

rural areas

I cant speak for what is going on in other areas, but here in kentucky we are actively deploying ip dslams in rural areas. We have halted uverse deployments recently and the focus is now ip dslams.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to rradina

to rradina

Re: Sounds Like a Jewelry Store Sale...

I was about to suggest that, good ol Macy's pricing.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: 2 Million?

Thats not what he asked, there are ex-BellSouth FITL customers that have been left to rot. What you mentioned was NEW deployment, while he is asking about an existing upgrade that was way overdue.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to masterbinky

to masterbinky

Re: Odd..

No, they are saying thats the cherry on top. We'll be saving so much money we can now do this sooner then we may have planned.

ev
@184.57.114.x

ev to karpodiem

Anon

to karpodiem

eMBMS...
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to captinkirk

to captinkirk

Perhaps if consumers saw broadband in terms they'd understand better, such as paying the same price or more for groceries and the manufacturer keeps shrinking the package size which increases profitability while the consumer is (almost) none the wiser-- at least for a time. Not deploying fiber and doing that required capex build is basically the same thing. You empty your wallet for obsolete broadband services, while ATT and now Verizon grows fat on offering service with little or no significant investment in wire line infrastructure.

By 2015, service offered by BPON ONT terminals and nodes (can you say 13 years old!!) will also be obsolete-- considering where the current available equipment is in the 1 - 100 gigabit range. If you had a computer or cell phone that's 13 years old, people would look at you funny. It will be worthless when 4k video rolls around.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next