dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-05 12:24:25: Yesterday we noted how Netflix had fired another shot over the bow in the ongoing peering war by changing their familiar buffering warning message to specifically single out ISPs when consumers see poor performance. ..

prev · 1 · 2

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Apparently

You first
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
Good. Hopefully in this battle it will come down to full disclosure on both sides and then we will truly see what the "issue" is and who is responsible.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to JSM

Premium Member

to JSM

Re: Peering question....

Of course I do, I was stating my opinion. Job posting? That's usually the first and weak argument someone likes to make (i.e. the person is a cable / telco troll). I have never directly, and to the best of my knowledge indirectly, ever been paid by a cable or telco company - its not even close to my primary field.

If you think NetFlix has been a saint over the last six months in all of this public rabble, you really need to take a deep breath and drink less of the kool-aid.
AVonGauss

AVonGauss to nothing00

Premium Member

to nothing00

That really doesn't help your argument... A legal action does not imply wrong or right and actually might be good for consumers since the discovery phase might make public some of the actual data that would show us what's really going on.
AVonGauss

1 edit

AVonGauss to Probitas

Premium Member

to Probitas

Re: So, Comcast has had their meter independantly audited... will Neflix?

While I would actually tend to agree a paid for study or even audit deserves more scrutiny, I would hardly compare a bandwidth meter to a drug viability analysis. My point, which you seem to have ignored, is they also tend to release the supporting data. Did you read it and find an area that is suspicious?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by AVonGauss:

While I would actually tend to agree a paid for study or even audit deserves more scrutiny, I would hardly compare a bandwidth meter to a drug viability analysis. My point, which you seem to have ignored, is they also tend to release the supporting data. Did you read it and find an area that is suspicious?

Why don't you read the comments section of that article on this site? There are plenty of complaints about the methodology.

But more importantly, there's no way to confirm the data is accurate. The release of the report wasn't "trouble" for Comcast, it was a calculated PR move to bolster the argument for their merger.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

The released the first audit long before there was any TWC merger....

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Gave up

At our end we gave up on any Netflix bandwidth. They started showing problems in the fall of 2013 and has gotten so bad that we cannot say it will even work right at our fiber optic connection. I personally have a 50Meg connection via wireless and Netflix online truly sucks. Netflix want us to peer with them but the cost, outrageous.

SpitingFace
@50.170.133.x

SpitingFace to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan

Because Comcast realized that the only reason people pay an extra $20 for higher-end speeds is to not have to wait for freaking Youtube and Netflix to load. After all, if the TCP conversation started at a Comcast IP address, why the heck should peering matter (between Comcast and the video sites)? If it's another ISP's customer making that same request through a peering arrangement (between say, Comcast and Verizon), that's a different kettle of fish! :/

DarkMushroom
@50.170.133.x

DarkMushroom to AVonGauss

Anon

to AVonGauss

Although it generally indicates that they don't want Netflix talking! Remember the biggest problem with NSL abuse? That if it was happening, no one could legally know...
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to why60loss

Premium Member

to why60loss

Re: Good for them

Will Netflix ever call out Level 3 for poor streaming quality and buffering?
openbox9

openbox9 to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt

And it's very plausible that this is not deliberate congestion but may be the fault of Netflix's service providers. Why are they never questioned, especially given Level 3 and Cogent's histories?

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615 to openbox9

to openbox9

Nope. The general public have no clue what Level 3 is.

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

This is how it works...
1. manipulate data
2. provide said manipulated data to "independent 3rd party"
3. release report based on manipulated data
4. ???
5. profit
ieolus

ieolus to SpitingFace

to SpitingFace

Which is more likely...

1. Comcast suddenly realizing that their customers paying extra money for a service and decide to help them get that service.

2. Netflix paid their protection money.
ieolus

ieolus to marctronixx

to marctronixx

Re: Make me understand

Netflix paid protection money to Comcast to peer directly with their network in February or thereabouts.
ieolus

ieolus to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

Re: Gave up

Who is "us"? Do you run an ISP? Why not take Netflix up on their OpenConnect and then all problems go away?
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

1 edit

dfxmatt to openbox9

to openbox9

They have probably been yelling at their service providers continually about this for it to actually come to a public spat.

Also see »www.techdirt.com/article ··· rs.shtml , which shows that this is 100% verizon.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to openbox9

to openbox9

Level 3 isn't a residential ISP and they almost never have congestion issues, and when they do, they're quick to fix them.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to openbox9

to openbox9

Cogent has a horrible history, but Level 3, while not flawless, is a shining example of an ethical business.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to Yucca Servic

to Yucca Servic

Re: Gave up

Netflix is free to peer with at an IX.

If you want a CDN device, then you need to meet a minimum of 2gb/s of peak bandwidth.

These two options are hard for smaller ISPs, but simple for larger ones.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt

That article doesn't show anything except for another outlet jumping on the "it's Verizon's fault" bandwagon.
openbox9

openbox9 to Bengie25

Premium Member

to Bengie25
Shining example of ethical business? Please, do tell.
openbox9

openbox9 to Bengie25

Premium Member

to Bengie25

said by Bengie25:

they almost never have congestion issues

Really? So Netflix's path to Verizon customers using Level 3 is never congested? It's just Cogent? Ok, will Netflix ever call out Cogent for poor stream quality and buffering?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Probitas

Premium Member

to Probitas

Nobody died here, MAYBE, at most, somebody pays a few extra a month until it get a hearing. MAYBE
RJARRRPCGP
join:2010-12-17
North Springfield, VT

RJARRRPCGP to pumpkinhead7

to pumpkinhead7
Skype does similar, too, even when it don't mention a specific ISP name in a warning message.
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP to pumpkinhead7

to pumpkinhead7
(double post)

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Pretty cool

I personally think this is pretty cool and hope to see more of this for ALL ISPs. Sometimes a little shaming gets engineers off there butts and things get fixed if there are things that need to be.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to why60loss

to why60loss

said by why60loss:

I would likely do the same if I ran Netflix. It's time to put some of the blame on the crappy ISP's like Verizon.

Netflix to suspend its controversial ISP error messages
prev · 1 · 2