dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-06 11:43:58: Network gear manufacturer Sandvine apparently isn't a big fan of both Netflix's and YouTube's new ISP streaming performance rankings, insisting that the data collected by both is unreliable and conflicting. ..

prev · 1 · 2

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks

Re: I don't believe the ISP's for a second...

Anyone who provides Internet is an ISP. You know I'm clearly referring to Tier 2 ISP's.

QuietRiot
@50.170.133.x

QuietRiot to Killa200

Anon

to Killa200

Re: Sandvine Confirms ISPs Not Treating Traffic Equally

Well, they do offer boxes that act as caches to prevent peering traffic in the first place... It would be nice if most of those few hundred very large but often repeated streams only had to be downloaded through peering arrangements a single time, dontchthink?!

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

1 edit

Killa200

Premium Member

Id agree if they offered them to anyone who wanted them. We tried signing up for one in our system and they refuse to offer the boxes for any isp that had peaks less than a consistant 5000mbit/sec of netflix traffic alone. They said we were welcome to build out to the nearest peering point 150 miles away and peer or find another provider that would get a cache box for us.

Some "open connect" agreement eh?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Yeah

He said. She said. I get it. It is a group of undisciplined and unregulated asses that are fighting among themselves like dogs over a bone.

FCC may, or may not, care. It makes little difference as Congress will continue in its present gridlock for at least another 18 months during which time there will be one or more price increases.

I personally say no to all on-remand-movies. It's too expensive. I spend locally to help keep our little movie store open.
prev · 1 · 2