dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-09 09:20:36: Back in 2008 Verizon negotiated a closed-door agreement with NYC mayor Mike Bloomberg that agreed to wire all five boroughs with FiOS by June of 2014 -- sort of. ..

prev · 1 · 2
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Re: Yeah, right.

said by elefante72:

I was reading that they wanted to start using microtrenching to significantly lower the install cost.

We had a course from the vendor of the micro-trench ducting about 2 years ago. it is a flat hard plastic duct that is meant to be placed into sidewalk expansion joints instead of the standard 4" PVC we usually use. Like you said, it was suppose to save a ton of money where ducts needed to be placed. They were talking about doing a trial run either in Queens or Manhattan but I guess it didn't work out too well because we never heard anything else about it.

fatal
join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY

fatal to tmc8080

to tmc8080

Re: same old, same old

What a joke every few weeks the same story and nothing changes
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

WhatNow to fg8578

Premium Member

to fg8578

Re: How?

It is almost impossible to keep something under seal once the government has it. Someone will sue under Freedom of Information Act and the courts will take the seal off.

I don't know what area the CO that flooded in lower Manhattan covered but everything out of that office had to be replaced by fiber. They lost all the copper cables because of flooding. I think the air drying pumps that kept the air pressure on the cables ended up under water so no air pressure.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx

It amazes me how much these companies waste in resources so they can turn around and screw people. It's not the techs; they're working hard. I just don't think that people at a certain level think about everything that they need to.
jjeffeory

1 recommendation

jjeffeory to elray

to elray

Re: Irony...

Good thing FiOS is available in Santa Monica, so they don't have to worry about those little things...

For us, asked about FiOS when looking at every house. It's a plus.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to battleop

to battleop

Re: Landlords can be a pain in the ass...

Sounds like something people would do.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to WhatNow

Premium Member

to WhatNow

Re: How?

I seriously doubt FOIA would null and void company proprietary information held by the government. It wouldn't be releasable under FOIA.

captylor
@184.47.49.x

captylor to Pathfinder5

Anon

to Pathfinder5

Re: Lowest of the low

So, which way is it to Shell Beach?
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory

Re: Irony...

FIOS is generally available in Santa Monica.

Its a mild and belated blessing for the city after suffering under GTE for years. (Step switching and subscriber-carrier service, eventually "upgraded" to GTD-5 EAX, and of course, a personal N2 bottle for every line. We even had a reserved parking space for the repair truck at my office - I'm not kidding.)

Theoretically, we should be able to get FIOS. The distribution hub is showing its age, despite multiple paint jobs for graffiti (gang neighborhood, yes, in Santa Monica, no matter how much city officials want to pretend otherwise).

But despite a half-dozen attempts to date, Verizon still won't turn us up. Given that we're quite satisfied with TWC service, I haven't pushed as hard as I can; one does tire of the ineptitude. Still, it would be nice to have it enabled rather than be stuck with only one option.

(In fairness to those who think I play favorites, TWC still can't "find" my parents' house to establish service, even though the nine contiguous houses all have cable.)

If we were moving (so far, no reason, no cause, no desire), we would certainly validate what our broadband options are - going so far as to have them affirmed in the rental or purchase agreement. But if we had the "ideal" place and it had only "slow, un-upgraded DSL with low caps and steep overages" - or even "only" Verizon LTE, we'd still choose based on the location and dwelling.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

jjeffeory

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear that they're being that way.

Honestly, I won't put up with DSL or LTE service. I'll accept cable service or FiOS, but my needs aren't satisfied by my cellular service.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I live in a duplex and a service provider has to legally run two separate lines from the curb as each unit is considered a separate subscriber. So if FiOS ever does come to my area, they may be able to get away with one drop from the pedestal but they'd have to split it to two separate fibers outside and each unit would have its own ONT in the basement. But with Comcast, they have to run two separate drops from the street to each unit.

Each unit is entitled to full signal. You can't just run a drop and use a splitter between the two units of a duplex when the tenants are paying full price for broadband. Why should my modem drop out just because I don't live in a single family house.

A separate drop is not required for "full signal".
binded2
join:2009-08-11
Providence, RI

binded2

to hell with them

It's every ones else fault Verizon tons of other company's had to rebuild there business there no excuse for you what so ever

NYC needs to grow a fucking pair
Start fining them
prev · 1 · 2