spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-09 16:36:36: A new study by Leichtman Research Group finds that nearly half of all U.S. households now subscribe to either Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix streaming or a combination of all three. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1

Snipped

I dropped Comcast last month. Netflix and rabbit ears here. I would do Hulu too but I haven't figured out what people like about!?

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

Count me in.

Apple TV: $99 dollars.
Netflix: $9.
Huluplus: $8.
Amazon: $7.50 ($90 a year).
SmartDNS: $5.
Total: $30.

Last DirecTV bill before I cancelled: $112.

Laughing all the way to the bank with almost a THOUSAND dollars in yearly savings: PRICELESS.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

YWCA

@172.56.14.x
reply to dnoyeB

Re: Snipped

Think of it as a dvr,for some of what played last night

Flycat

join:2003-05-12
Lawrence, MA
reply to maartena

Re: Count me in.

$112 isn't that bad, how much is your internet connection?

I recently re-subbed to fios after realizing my pipe alone was costing me $75 month. For +$20 I got a faster pipe and TV.

Still considering trying the comcast $50 internet+hbo thing if it's still available.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

How long has Netflix had a streaming product?

How much of Netflix's business 4-5 years ago was still DVD based?

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to Flycat

$85 for 100 Mbit/s internet + nationwide telephone, all taxes, fees, modem rental, ceo bonus fund fees, etc included.

Once TWC upgrades us to 300/20, I may drop down to what is going to be 200/20 (currently 30/5 plan), and save some more money.

BTW the $112 was before the almost $5 increase I got hit with by DirecTV in February. The $4 a subscriber they paid for the Lakers channel (which I never watch) found its way to out bills. So it would have been $116-117-ish. And if they DO sign with the Dodgers and shell out another $4, I would be paying about $9 a month for 2 teams I am not even a fan of, because I like the OTHER teams in this market. (Angels, Ducks.).

Come Feb 2015, if they do sign with the Dodgers channel, will most likely see another $5.

Inflation is about 1.5 to 2.5%, depending on the year, averaging out around 2%. DirecTV's yearly price increase is between 4 and 5%, so roughly DOUBLE the inflation.

And it won't stop, thats the problem. How many carrier disputes have we had in the last 5 years? An unbelievable amount, compared to the 20 years of cable TV before that. In 2004 it was RARE to see a big conflict being stretched out for months. Now it seems to be the norm because rediculous numbers are being demanded. Numbers that WILL eventually come out of your wallet.

So no thanks..... Internet only for me please. Oh, and voice.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
Reviews:
·Wave Broadband
·CenturyLink
reply to Flycat
said by Flycat:

$112 isn't that bad

...$112/month just for TV is a rip off. I'm paying my local cable provider $115 a month for 55Mbps internet, phone, and basic TV with HD included.

said by Flycat:

Still considering trying the comcast $50 internet+hbo thing if it's still available.

Comcast hasn't ever offered HBO without a TV subscription.

Kuro

@75.151.50.x

Datacaps

I am in the Netflix/Prime group and I would really like to watch more of both but the 300 gig data threshold is holding me back. I went through about 60 gigs this weekend watching Orange is the New Black and Hannibal. I think Comcast is lying about my data usage but I don't have anything measuring it myself.

bmccoy

join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: How long has Netflix had a streaming product?

Hah, I remember the good ol' days when Netflix was just DVDs. They sure have changed.

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TDS
reply to Kuro

Re: Datacaps

NOT one Byte should go against your CAP when streaming Netflix!!!! Not a BYTE!

Netflix already Pays Comcast to allow their content to stream into Comcast's network, and YOU pay to get the content from Netflix.

Comcast is getting paid twice for the video you streamed (Orange is the new Black).

There's shouldn't be one reason in hell why Comcast would put that streaming against your CAP.

That's total CRAPOLA!
--
Cord Cutter Hauppauge DTV Tuner Card PlayOn.tv Hulu.com Netflix.com Windows Media Center Guide.
Here's how »homes.yahoo.com/news/how-to-pay-···275.html

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to maartena

said by maartena:

Laughing all the way to the bank with almost a THOUSAND dollars in yearly savings: PRICELESS.

Yep, me too, my DirecTV bill was exactly the same as yours.

The only difference is I bought a refurbished Roku box.

Timmn

Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to davidc502

said by davidc502:

NOT one Byte should go against your CAP when streaming Netflix!!!! Not a BYTE!

When Comcast is the only game in town, they can do as they please.

Kuro

@75.151.50.x
reply to davidc502
I agree but there is nothing I can do about it unless I pay Comcast double what I pay them now for business class with no caps.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Not comparable

Netflix can't replace cable, so it's not really that relevant.

Also, Amazon Prime shouldn't be counted in statistics, as you get the video streaming and Kindle Lending Library for free when you pay for the two-day shipping. That's the only reason I have Amazon Prime video. I probably use it once every few months. Definitely not worth it on it's own.

Timmn

Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to Flycat

said by Flycat:

$112 isn't that bad, how much is your internet connection?

Isn't that bad? For all the TV I watch, I considered that throwing money out the window.

Someone suggested that I should subtract the money I'm paying for my internet connection out of the money I'm saving by canceling DirecTV, however, I didn't have DirecTV and internet access as a package, so the price for my internet didn't go up.

So, I am no longer paying DirecTV, so I count all of the $112/mo I was sending them as savings.

Timmn

Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to BiggA

Re: Not comparable

said by BiggA:

Netflix can't replace cable, so it's not really that relevant.

I disagree, it did a very nice job of replacing DirecTV at my house, which, in it's own way, is just as bad as cable.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to bmccoy

said by bmccoy:

ONLY HBO can offer HBO as a standalone
but pretty close was when they said they were going to have a 10+ tier, basically limited basic +10 "cable" channels +HBO.
it was briefly advertized here one the web site, new users only. don't know anyone who got it before it disappeared.
So they TRIED to do it but had to pull back due to HBO maybe? or the other 10+ channels?
or all the channels not included?
I don't know. Too bad Cause I would buy the at the cheap price they offered.

kapil
The Kapil

join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL
reply to maartena
Why smartdns?

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 edits
reply to davidc502

You do realize that would be the biggest violation of net neutrality yet. And it would be extremely anti-competitive for all other streaming services. I am sure Netflix would love nothing more than for this to happen. An even stronger monopoly over premium streaming video. Comcast would probably like this too. They would have a reason to justify rolling out lower caps or start a conversion over to real usage-based billing for general content, with unlimited "partner" content.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to BiggA

I agree, it can't replace cable for most people. Hulu Plus is a much more direct competitor to cable than Netflix.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

this is a suspious stat..

... 48% of all non-subscribers to a pay-TV service get Netflix
most of those I know choosing not to have pay-tv are those who have NO tv (actively avoid "the tube") and rarely watch internet video. (when they want a movie they go to a theater)
Some never had a cord to cut ( OTA or video store (rare) )
a suprizingly large group of people have lives with very limited need/desire for the net outside of their work.
this is across ALL age ranges, just those who decide not to get stuck to the internet teat.

tabernak

join:2013-08-10
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to BiggA

I agree Netflix alone can't, but I do Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Netflix DVD, OTA and the occasional paid episode from Amazon, probably averaging $50/month. That's about half what my satellite would be and now after 2 years of doing it I have just as much to watch as before I cut the cord, as shows I missed are now trickling down to those services on a regular basis.

The only weak spot for me is ESPN, hopefully they'll offer a standalone service eventually and that's just for college football games, half of which that I care to watch are OTA anyway.

bigballer

@205.214.216.x
reply to maartena

why even pay for voice? I cut the cord with ATT. Screw them and their $45 dollars a month +taxes/fees

Switched to ooma (so around 3-4 dollars a month in fees, negligible) and laughing at ATT.

Some don't need a homeline, but I still just in case anything happens if I have family over or little kids and whatnot.

bigballer

@205.214.216.x
reply to Kuro

then here I go to starbucks (hello google wifi) and torrent the hell out of anything I need on netflix.

I'm sorry, but are "companies" trying to stop piracy or "indirectly" promote it.

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to kapil

More than likely to reroute around ISP/Netflix choke points to minimize buffering issues. The cdn you are connected to relies heavily on the dns.
--
There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're shackles.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to bigballer

Only bad things are occur from abusing public wifi connections like that.

bigballer

@205.214.216.x
let us americans netflix in peace then....

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX
reply to bmccoy

Re: How long has Netflix had a streaming product?

I remember when them fancy horseless carriages starting showing up,thing do change

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to bmccoy

said by bmccoy:
said by Flycat:
$112 isn't that bad

...$112/month just for TV is a rip off. I'm paying my local cable provider $115 a month for 55Mbps internet, phone, and basic TV with HD included.
I'm paying $110.49 per month for a triple Play plan with Comcast. It has their Premier tier for tv including HBO and Starz and Streampix. I also get 105/20 internet and phone. I'm using 2 cable cards and Comcast is giving me a straight out $5 credit for them!

Cable bundles with, first WOW, and now Comcast, is the reason why I dropped Dish for tv service. There is no way satellite can compete with them. Now in area where there isn't any competing tv services, then you have to deal with Dish or DirecTV.
quote:
said by Flycat:

They've been offering their "plus" plans. For $5 more per month you get internet plus 40 - 50 cable channels, HBO and Streampix. A pretty good deal IMO.

pumpkinhead7

join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to davidc502

I wish this was reddit so this could get upvoted all the way to the top. Comcast is screwing its customers and settings some pretty scary precidents and all the while convincing people its for their own good and that its all because their evil neighbor is being a bandwidth hog and clogging the tubes. I think they use the same PR firm that republicans do.