dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-10 10:44:14: Yesterday in a blog post Netflix stated that the ISP-blaming congestion warnings warnings Verizon is threatening to sue over were part of a test Netflix is running that the company already planned to conclude on June 16. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

So have they signed an agreement or not?

I thought they had but NF makes it sound like it's still being hammered out.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

2 recommendations

ITALIAN926

Cant always apply

In circumstances that the customers smartTV or blu-ray is 200 feet from a router, or there is wireless interference, giving them poor throughput, how does Netflix justify stating that the problem is VERIZONS NETWORK? Just sayin...

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

3 recommendations

norm

said by ITALIAN926:

In circumstances that the customers smartTV or blu-ray is 200 feet from a router, or there is wireless interference, giving them poor throughput, how does Netflix justify stating that the problem is VERIZONS NETWORK? Just sayin...

It's my understanding that they only use the customer's connection as a trigger and then go on to see if a large number of other customers in the area are having similar problems in addition to some other metrics. If only a small subset of customers are having problems because of their home connection, they shouldn't receive a message stating that it's the ISP.
shpatb
join:2013-07-16

shpatb to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
They're saying it's the difference between speeds seen at non-peak times vs peak times. It's not like customers wifi works perfectly in the morning and horribly every night.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

Congestion

Well if the real issue is congestion, VZ could start a sign-up block and really put a damper on Netflix. But then again; they'd cry about that too.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

2 recommendations

biochemistry

Premium Member

Forum

According to northeast FiOS users on the forums here, SuperHD is still impossible on a 50/25 connection. What gives Verizon? You know a large portion of your (paying) customers use Netflix so give them a decent connection already.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem

Premium Member

all about control

and with it of course, comes money.

the tel/cablecos (and by proxy, the NSA) can't seem to have enough of it, and their greedy nature comes through when someone manages to get rich offering an application over 'their pipes'
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: So have they signed an agreement or not?

They have, but Verizon is dragging their feet in implementing the needed changes.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

2 recommendations

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

said by UnnDunn:

They have, but Verizon is dragging their feet in implementing the needed changes.

Proof of that?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to biochemistry

to biochemistry

Re: Forum

That's incorrect and I have 50/25. In fact outside of homegrown Netflix outages, I have never had a sustainable issue. Youtube was junky until I went to HTML5, but that was saturated flash CDN. Google fixe that some months ago.

Have been getting SuperHD for some time. I also don't have buffering issues. My netflix comes from DC (Level3) intercon and has for over a year. My other platforms (Amazon, HBOGO, Vevo, Youtube, etc) have gotten notably faster in the last month to stream on, so it looks like connections have been getting better.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

2 recommendations

morbo to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks

Re: Congestion

said by ITGeeks:

Well if the real issue is congestion, VZ could start a sign-up block and really put a damper on Netflix. But then again; they'd cry about that too.

Consumers are hoping for that extreme action as it would be the last straw and realization by everyone that net neutrality is needed else the guys that own the pipes decide who wins and who doesn't. Dumb pipe providers should remain dumb pipe providers.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to elefante72

to elefante72

Ditto. I'm in the Northeast with FiOS and never have a problem streaming Netflix, sometimes multiple streams at once, and get Super HD every time. Doesn't matter the time of day either. My friends and neighbors in my area with FiOS report the same thing.
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

2 recommendations

tpkatl

Hilarious letter!

Netflix's lawyer got in a great dig - great analogy to the Christie bridge scandal (closing three lanes on the bridge and then blaming the drivers for a traffic jam)

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

I've had some issue with Netflix SuperHD but I think its the content (new orange is the new black episodes...) being viewed by many.
Just like HBOGo and titles like GoT on Sunday, or True Detectives finale, the traffic is greater than the load can handle, not the bandwidth to/from.

But Xbox Live still blows..on a 50/25...and that could be their proxy, not Verizon FiOS.

Still... I am getting annoyed at the finger pointing. Anyone with 300/150 having issues? THAT would be the ultimate... ("you got a C7 Stingray and you can't go faster than the traffic? Tsk...)
sevenbelow
join:2014-03-21
Roslyn Heights, NY

sevenbelow to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Re: Cant always apply

They only detect throughput to the wan interface, not wan to lan.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

3 recommendations

nothing00 to tpkatl

to tpkatl

Re: Hilarious letter!

It may be more of a threat. Consider the dirty laundry that would come out and how people would feel about Verizon if what they were doing became general public knowledge supported by internal evidence.

To me, it reads, "keep it up Verizon and you're going to have a huge PR distaster on your hands". Similar to the bridge scandal.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to cableties

to cableties

+1

...I stopped using my Xbox for anything outside of WMC and cancelled all my XBG memberships because of streaming issues and MSFT bounty on eliminating XBG family. Replaced w/ Roku and refurb Logitech remotes. Couldn't be happier.

Even the new "free" streaming from MSFT cannot repair--to me--how they tried to screw everyone w/ XB1. I won't be buying one EVER... I won't forget and AM voting...

ieolus
Support The Clecs
join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

ieolus to Pathfinder5

to Pathfinder5

Well, how is your Netflix viewing going?
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to UnnDunn

to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

The connections are just getting set up. Data from network research firm Renesys show the two networks already set up a test connection to carry video in the Dallas area, but major networks typically need links in dozens of cities to deliver traffic effectively.

Verizon said it plans to fulfill the terms of its agreement with Netflix over the next few months.

"We are working on the first 13 cities, and we do plan to have everything done in 2014," said Verizon spokesman Bob Elek. "All of this kerfuffle that is going on isn't affecting that."

Verizon VP David Young told CNET, "We can't just snap our fingers and the network is upgraded. We need new facilities. We have to do the equipment engineering. Build it and test it. We are doing all of that right now. And it should be completed during this year." When finished, Netflix's connection to the Verizon network will supply "adequate capacity to satisfy the needs of their subscribers."

»online.wsj.com/articles/ ··· 02004231

»arstechnica.com/business ··· verizon/
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

AVonGauss to UnnDunn

Premium Member

to UnnDunn
To keep with the conspiracy theory that the ISPs are holding poor little NetFlix hostage for the hoards of cash the transit deal is going to bring them...

Why would Verizon drag their feet when they likely don't get paid fully until a certain SLA level is reached?

nothing00
Centereach, NY

2 recommendations

nothing00

Maybe they'd rather see Netflix "go away" than collect money from them.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to nothing00

Premium Member

to nothing00

Re: Hilarious letter!

... if it was that simple, NetFlix would have most likely not backed down so quick on the congestion message.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to ieolus

to ieolus

Last night a video stopped playing for some reason. Yes, I'm on FiOS using Netflix. I had to restart the stream, then it worked.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

2 recommendations

nothing00 to cableties

to cableties

said by cableties:

Anyone with 300/150 having issues? THAT would be the ultimate...

Yes, I had 300/150 and couldn't stream Netflix above 288/384 resolution. I downgraded my package because Verizon simply wasn't delivering and there was no way I was being that much of a sucker.

Now that I've downgraded my Netflix experience hasn't changed one bit. Paying a huge premium for speedy provisioning simply doesn't matter if Verizon won't provide fast links outside their network.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

AVonGauss to nothing00

Premium Member

to nothing00

Nice theory, but that's just not how corporations work. If they wanted to do as you suggest they would have most likely offered a transit deal for NetFlix's in-house CDN that NetFlix would be unwilling to accept (i.e. jack up the price astronomically).
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to elefante72

to elefante72

I had FiOS in Northern Virginia and could get SuperHD on a 50/25 connection, but I would also get buffering issues.

Same thing with FiOS in Southern California.

Youtube was terrible in NoVa. Youtube has been just fine in SoCal.
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to elefante72

to elefante72
Me too. Got a WiiU and PS4. Love the PS4 Netflix app. Like the WiiU Netflix app. no Xone for me. Sorry MSFT, you screwed up and I will not forget!

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink to serge87

Premium Member

to serge87

Wow, really? You mean you just don't add new 10Gig ports to a LAG bundle on the Internet feeder pipe and call it a day?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926

Re: Cant always apply

said by ITALIAN926:

In circumstances that the customers smartTV or blu-ray is 200 feet from a router...

That's an awfully large house...
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

Good.

Click for full size
Click for full size
Good guy Netflix.......
Hopefully they use this opportunity to drive the net neutrality point home. This is literally the best one, it affects people in a way, and a lot of people are affected.

.......run with it, and don't stop!
My meme emotions are split
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next