spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-10 14:28:03: As we noted yesterday Verizon is going to miss the company's deadline for providing FiOS to all of NYC, something that shouldn't surprise you if you actually understood the loophole-filled deal, closed-door deal Verizon and Mayor Bloomberg signed bac.. ..

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

4 recommendations

Landlord

My landlord's family owns over 20 buildings, mostly in Manhattan and downtown. They gave Verizon written authorization to wire all their buildings in 2008. Verizon has not done one, not one. They have no interest what so ever and it is all them.

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

Can't blame VZ all the time

Two years ago, at our apt co-op shareholder board meeting, FIOS was a hotly debated topic. We were going to let Vz coming to the building. Vz was stipulating that we have a 100% subscription - meaning forcing everyone to sign up. Now, one of the directors on the board is an avid NFL fan, and wanted NFL package with Fios included for free, while it was not part of the package on TWC. So he was really pushing for it. Somehow at this moment, TWC stepped up. TWC gave us a package of $65 that include standard TV, free cable modem AND turbo Internet. The $65 was a huge drop from $102 that does not include cable modem fee (so in reality $107). Since then, Vz has not bothered to come into the building.

Now, I am moving into another apartment. The rate we have here is high vs my old apt. TWC gave us a pathetic $60 for only standard TV with Showtime. Internet is an additional $35 (standard, not even Turbo). Fios is being installed right now.

So yes, Vz can be an arse in regard to deploying the last mile, but apartment management, owners have a say in it too. One of my neighbor apartments have TWC, RCN, Fios all available.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

Fios

Someone I know wants fios their whole street is wired up but small portion where they live there is only dsl and twc and yes this is in Queens.

shmerl

join:2013-10-21

2 recommendations

It's pointless to blame landlords

When Verizon didn't even start putting fiber optical cables in many areas in NYC. So such excuse is lame. They didn't even "pass" many streets yet.

Tomaz

@69.203.64.x
reply to patt2k

Re: Fios

Funny you say that my block has it, but the coop apts only get it and my side of the building doesn't.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to rit56

Where is Mayor Bill de Blasio now?

Mayor de Blasio, when still Public Advocate seeking higher office, made a big deal over Verizon's stonewalling and not fulfilling their commitment to 100% wire NYC with FiOS.

Now that de Blasio has obtained the higher office he sought, is he suddenly too busy and must remain quiet about the same Verizon he previously blasted? Why isn't the Mayor taking the same strong position against Verizon on this issue as he did just a short number of months ago when he was the P.A. and seeking election as mayor?

From his Public Advocate days not too long ago:

»»archive.advocate.nyc.gov/verizon

Bogen

join:2011-04-05

1 recommendation

Verizon required to wire home within 6 months from customer request

»www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20···40609898

From Crain's:

On a more basic level, many residents have no idea that they can order FiOS and expect to have it within the six-months-to-a-year period.

"Consumers don't know whether this deadline applies to their building, because they can't easily tell whether it has been 'passed' by fiber," said Charles Fraser, general counsel for DoITT. "And from anecdotes we're hearing, we're increasingly concerned that Verizon has not made that information comprehensively and accurately available to its own customer-service operations."

How can potential Verizon FiOS customers order FiOS service from Verizon prior to their area being wired - so that the six months (or six plus six) timeframe starts ticking for Verizon to wire them?

Virtually no potential customer knows who to call at Verizon to order this. If you call Verizon sales to order FiOS in area currently unwired they will refuse to even take your information to order. Therefore it is virtually impossible, based on Verizon's unwillingness and actions, to start the clock ticking as they are required per their NYC franchise to do.

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

NYC Owned buildings not wired for Fios

The City owned buildings such as NYCHA Public Housing do not have Fios yet, you would think that since it is the city that granted fios the franchise city owned buildings would have been wired

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to josephf

Re: Where is Mayor Bill de Blasio now?

I'm sure Verizon has handsomely paid for his silence.

rit56

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mckenna797

Re: NYC Owned buildings not wired for Fios

I agree. Consider the Mayor who made the deal. An Oligarch who's primary purpose 12 years as mayor was strictly for the affluent and corporations. Bloomberg had no vision beyond the acquisition of wealth. A true visionary would have recognized how NYC would have gained tremendously both residential customers and businesses with fiber. Profit, profit, shareholders, shareholders. History will not be kind to Mayor 1%.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bogen

Re: Verizon required to wire home within 6 months from customer request

You can do an online search by building address to see if Verizon has already pre-issued the address # for ordering. If not, you might be able to ask the construction supervisor for the project. At least you could and get a fairly REASONABLE answer from them in the HAYDAY of FIOS when it was new.. These days, they probably don't give a damn about customers. Unless it has WIRELESS after the product name.

NYC33

@68.175.105.x
reply to mckenna797

TWC offer the quadruple play here in nyc. Tv, Internet, phone and cellphone from Verizon wireless.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to hchen42

Re: Can't blame VZ all the time

NFL package?? on cable? what fan does not know that one was only on directv at the time?

FiosSplicer

@173.63.45.x
reply to mckenna797

Don't know where you get your facts. FIOS is available at the Red Hook Houses, Farragut Houses, Coney Island Houses and most others under way or done in Brooklyn. Most housing projects in the other boroughs either done or almost finished. The city forcing VZ to have most NYCHA done by this year.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to rit56

Re: Landlord

why should they? they've already cherrypicked the areas they wanted.
--
Despises any post with strings.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to rit56

A "true visionary" understands that without profit, there is no employment growth, no opportunity for the little guy, and accordingly, no expansion of the tax base.

There is no data to support your belief that "tremendous gains" come with fiber deployment. Online economic expansion occurs almost exclusively on the server side, and savvy coders generally don't need extremely high speed connections to prove their concepts.

Paying double for Fios so you can watch Netflix in "SuperHD" does not constitute a "gain".

fatal

join:2000-12-29
Brooklyn, NY
reply to NYC33

lol i got an email from these jokers over a year ago stating they had negotiated access to my building and would begin construction soon i guess soon to them is maybe never this is a small 3 family building by the way not some huge apartment complex

fatal

Brooklyn, NY
reply to FiosSplicer

bah! they need to force those jokers to wire every building by this year they ain't even trying

fatal

Brooklyn, NY

got this on 08/09/13

Thank you for your interest in our FiOS TV product.

The process of bringing you FiOS TV has taken longer than anticipated. We are still working on your request and will be contacting you again once there is a status change. We have negotiated access to your building and the FiOS TV construction process is underway and we estimate that service will be available to you within 6 months. We appreciate your patience while we work to bring FiOS TV service into your home and look forward to having you as a Verizon FiOS TV customer.

binded2

join:2009-08-11
Providence, RI

fines

Verizon should being fined 50000
Every day they don't compete there obligations. why in the hell wouldn't they have had wired city building.
If the fines are not enough revoke there franchise agreements.

Allow another over builder in to the market and at the very lease force them to provide the city with full speed no limits period no tricks no back doors WIRED service for the next 20 years at no cost to city.

And if you ask me they should not be allowed to get away with that shity wireless service there forcing people to use as voice service

rit56

New York, NY
reply to elray

Hi !! The corporate shill himself. I would take your comment seriously if you were a resident on NYC. You're not. You have no idea what a terrible mayor he was.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Didn't say he was a great mayor, but in a looney left city, having someone who bothers to do math is the least we can ask for. Considering how much federal subsidy NYC sucks down, those of us in the funding states need concern ourselves with who is minding the store there.

Blasio will prove infinitely worse.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by elray:

Considering how much federal subsidy NYC sucks down, those of us in the funding states need concern ourselves with who is minding the store there.

What? Where do you get that from? NY State pays more to the fed than we receive -- We are a funding State. Furthermore, NYC pays far more than it's share to the state as well. You have it exactly backwards!

See:
Federal taxation and spending by state
Downstate Pays More, Upstate Gets More

--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

Cry me a river, Verizon

Verizon made so many promises in the Northeast (Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York) that they willingly failed to uphold. Then they cry about being "forced" to honor their end of the agreement by the local/state governments. Verizon redlines FiOS and we all know it. They lie, they swindle, they astroturf, they look for any loophole they can to avoid honoring contracts. The only way to make them honest is by the sledgehammer of the legislature. I'm usually on the side of free markets, but the government created this oligopoly and the government damn well needs to hold Verizon accountable.

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
N. VA, USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Verizon!!!

They really love the term "Homes Passed" as it makes their FTTH network look bigger than it actually is!

I know of very rural homes with no broadband "passed" by Bell Atlantic fiber. I wonder if VZ is counting them as "passed".

Unfortunately, it seems State and Local regulatory bodies are uninterested in holding Verizon to the standards they agreed to in the 90s/early 2000s. They have wiggled out of building commitments from VA all the way up to NY.

If we cant build it in NYC (as many people claim rural is the problem) then we cant build anything for the future.

Probitas

join:2014-06-05
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Fiber

I live in a small town that has had fiber run to it for a long time now. They just never connect it up. Too lazy? Too cheap? Or because the only other player in town is an incumbent cable provider offering faster speeds.

Sure it's still technically competition, 6 mbps max DSL vs potential Cable speeds up to 120 mbps. And while we do have third parties here in the North, they can still ONLY use existing infrastructure, and if it's not upgraded, they don't really have options either.

What do you think is going on? True competition, or 'Competition'?

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY
reply to FiosSplicer

Ravenswood, Astoria, Queens Bridge And Woodside Houses have Fios all around them but nothing in the projects

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ
reply to Probitas

Re: Fiber

In my development in South Brunswick Verizon wired FiOS in part of it but even after installing their boxes in the ground on our street three years lago have never gotten around to wiring us.

champs18

join:2014-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

I live in Kensington Brooklyn 11218. FIOS is not going to be installed in this neighborhood as Hasidic Jews do not watch TV. I was told this on more than one occasion by Verizon techs in the area who install FIOS. FYI - the Verizon connection for my area is in Borough Park - 14 Ave (11219). Simply put, there is no money to be made here.

The landlord issue is also at play in my building as this coop will not allow installation without some kind of payoff from Verizon.