dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-11 09:15:22: For the second time in as many months, FCC boss Tom Wheeler has hinted that the FCC may take steps to pre-empt laws written and passed by broadband incumbent ISPs that prohibit towns and cities from building their own broadband -- even in cases where.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Oh Please...

Stop thinking EPB is this great savior of Chattanooga. The management at EPB is as cooked as you can get. In the last month they got caught red handed for over charging the city and tax payers MILLIONS of dollars for street lights that were never replaced or touched.

They claim their "smart grid" prevents power outages, yet there were people in the dark yesterday after a storm. They claim that we will see a huge influx of "High Tech Jobs" which have yet to show up. Where are all of the Data Centers we were told this would bring? They claim that if we don't have a fiber network we will become as barren as Detroit.

I live and work here and I don't see all of these "Great" benefits they keep bragging about.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by battleop:

Where are all of the Data Centers we were told this would bring?

They came to the NC side of the mountain. In Lenoir, Forest City, Kings Mountain, and Maiden....
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

When you have low expectations ... sometimes you are surprised.

I had very low expectations of Wheeler, with his background in the cable industry. But .. this is the second time in a month that he has done something that I agree with.

Stopping these monopolistic and predatory state laws is a good thing.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

workablob

said by tpkatl:

I had very low expectations of Wheeler, with his background in the cable industry. But .. this is the second time in a month that he has done something that I agree with.

Stopping these monopolistic and predatory state laws is a good thing.

"While his comments are promising, it should be noted that once again Wheeler fails to specify exactly how he'll accomplish this and when he'll start."

Blob

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Why are conservatives like Wheeler so against states and local rights?

What are they really trying to do, give us one large central over-reaching government?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

2 recommendations

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Because the states are proving themselves to be incompetent nin-com-poops with regards to community broadband.

I don't see this any differently than the FCC's long-standing mandate that landlords and HOA's can't prohibit you from installing a small satellite dish.

This state has banned my community from standing up an ISP on its own. How dare they? Further, they've put up so much red tape that the existing community systems are hamstrung from even doing regular maintenance that goes beyond a prescribed job.
xthepeoplesx
join:2013-10-21

1 recommendation

xthepeoplesx to tpkatl

to tpkatl
What has he done? Ive heard alot that he has said, but what else? I am sick of this guy saying one thing and doing another. Ill reserve till he ACTUALLY does what he says.

MaverickTI
@65.125.135.x

6 recommendations

MaverickTI to battleop

Anon

to battleop

Re: Oh Please...

Dude, so what???

The taxpayers are exercising THEIR RIGHTS to finance whatever sinkhole they voted for. If they fall victim to slick marketing and over-promised fantasies which will never materialize, again SO WHAT?

How dare a private corporation take away the rights of the public?

Community-drive broadband MAY NOT be the savior of a community or it MAY but that's for the community to decide. Not a private for-profit company that buys the votes needed from the government to stop the public from at least considering what they want to do with THEIR resources.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to xthepeoplesx

Premium Member

to xthepeoplesx

Re: When you have low expectations ... sometimes you are surprised.

Yep, talk is cheap. Show us some results Wheeler. Oh wait, your just a talking head.... :/

keithps
Premium Member
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN

10 recommendations

keithps to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

It's funny, since you work for an ISP in the Chattanooga area, that you would be vehemently outspoken against them. Everyone I know, including myself, absolutely loves EPB.

I don't think EPB ever claimed the smart grid would stop outages, but rather would reduce their scope. It's insane to think it can reroute power from the pole to your house if a tree falls on the service line, and you're being ridiculous even suggesting it.

Fact remains that you have hated EPB fiber since it's inception because you work for a competing company. Maybe not a large one, but competing nevertheless. In fact, that technically makes you no better than any other industry shill, even if it's not for Comcast et al.

atcotr
@65.60.144.x

atcotr to Mike

Anon

to Mike

The FCC has a statutory mission to cultivate broadband adoption.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

5 recommendations

WHT to battleop

to battleop

said by battleop:

they got caught red handed for over charging the city and tax payers MILLIONS of dollars for street lights that were never replaced or touched.

Conveniently you didn't mention the amount EPB was under-charging the city.

"Red handed" implies a willful and knowledgeable undesirable action. In reality it was an oversight.

Furthermore that "MILLIONS of dollars" as reported in a news outlet was never substantiated.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

has hinted that the FCC may take steps to pre-empt laws written ....

... so you assume he is out to "rescue" places with restrictive laws, rather then intending to seize control for the FCC?
Not saying all the laws are good, but a blanket voiding of local law seems likely to open up all sorts of legal challenges/problems and SOME of the controls were inacted to protect taxpayers from over-eager, over-spending local politicians and other hucksters.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to tpkatl

to tpkatl

Wait until he actually does something, because until now every promise he's made has been blowing hot air.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

1 edit

big_e to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: has hinted that the FCC may take steps to pre-empt laws written ....

Which is more likely? The laws were enacted in the interest of protect taxpayers from the tyranny of their democratically elected local officials, or such laws were passed to protect incumbent monopolies?

Our local governments are responsible for planning their zoning/land use, running their local law enforcement, court systems, building maintaining public roads, treating drinking water, handling sewage, garbage collection, electric utilities (in some areas), the public education of children, and other vital services, yet somehow they are completely unable to responsibly provide telecommunications so the state has to step in and block them.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to battleop

to battleop

Oh, you mean they didnt just pop up overnight?

batman
@66.249.83.x

batman to Mike

Anon

to Mike

said by Mike:

What are they really trying to do, give us one large central over-reaching government?

Wheeler is just part of the Federal Bureacracy that wants to wipe away any power that states have to govern themselves. Big Brother wants to control all.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25 to tshirt

to tshirt

Regardless, it is for the taxpayers to decide and for the taxpayers to implement punishment upon the local politicians if they wrong them by voting them out and bringing in someone that serves their interest.

It is not for the money of corporations with absolutely no interest in the taxpayers to decide what is and isnt for the taxpayers.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to atcotr

to atcotr

said by atcotr :

The FCC has a statutory mission to cultivate broadband adoption.

Indeed they do.

But do they have the legal authority to insert themselves between a state and the state's political subdivisions, namely cities and counties? That will be an interesting question.

I fully support muni fiber, but I wonder if the FCC is once again going too far out on a limb?

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to Skippy25

to Skippy25

10 years isn't over night..

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to battleop

to battleop
I fail to see how anything that was written has anything to do with the price of beans in China!

We are talking about EPB as a ISP, and from what I understand they do a darn good job.

SHABAZZ
join:2008-07-13
Seattle, WA

SHABAZZ to battleop

to battleop
You must work for Comcast!

MikeWald
@188.138.9.x

MikeWald to keithps

Anon

to keithps
said by keithps:

It's funny, since you work for an ISP in the Chattanooga area, that you would be vehemently outspoken against them. Everyone I know, including myself, absolutely loves EPB.

As a former resident of Chattanooga, I agree with you. Best of all, the peering is great, unlike Comcast who I had before. No choke on games or watching Netflix videos.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

3 recommendations

Karl Bode to tshirt

News Guy

to tshirt

quote:
you assume he is out to "rescue" places with restrictive laws, rather then intending to seize control for the FCC?
Personally, I'm assuming he's going to talk a lot then do absolutely nothing, just like the last fifteen years of FCC bosses.

battleop

battleop to SHABAZZ

to SHABAZZ

Is my sig that hard to read?
Probitas
join:2014-06-05
Canada

1 edit

1 recommendation

Probitas

Show me the money!

I'll believe it when I see it. The guy must realize the public is on to his BS and knows who he really works for, so is now releasing consumer friendly soundbites to counteract his image as an industry yes man.

Soundbites have no substance, words are cheap as hell. Let the man show it with actions.

You only have to look at who gets invited to these soundbites to know who he's really working for. Is the public ever present at these functions, or industry hacks?

battleop

battleop to keithps

to keithps

My hatred for EPB extends long before they were in the Fiber/Telecom business. Their attitude has always been, "If you don't like it where are you going to go?"

They are much like Google. On the surface they appear to be doing all kinds of great things for you but in reality they are blowing through your tax dollars like a drunken sailor.

"t's funny, since you work for an ISP in the Chattanooga area, that you would be vehemently outspoken against them"

Where does it stop? They are trying to run local ISP's out of business. They are trying to run networking companies and computer repair shops out of business. They are trying to run phone system / hosted PBX vendors out of business. They are rumored to soon go after Alarm companies. Where does it stop?

Government should NEVER EVER have the goal of running taxpaying business out of business. That in it's self is the exact opposite of what they claim that they are doing which is bringing in business.

Let me ask you. If the City of Chattanooga were to jump into your line of work using your tax dollars and the advantages of being a government owned agency how happy would you be?
battleop

battleop to MikeWald

to MikeWald
"Best of all, the peering is great"

What? They peer with Level3 and Quest and that's it. That's certainly not "great" peering.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I would love The city where I live to start a fiber network gives more compititon to the cable ISPS.

keithps
Premium Member
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN

keithps to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I understand you're frustrated that you have to compete with them. The problem is that my options for ISP's are Comcast, 6mbps AT&T DSL or EPB. Basically, unless I want to check the weather and email, Comcast was my only choice.

While I seriously doubt the government is going to get into the cotton linter pulp business, keep in mind, I do something you don't. I compete with China, who's labor, regulatory and raw materials costs are a tiny fraction of mine. In addition to the fact that they are government supported. Yet I don't sit here and whine, I *take* market share from them by offering a better product, delivered on time and reliably. I EXPORT finished product TO China because my product is that much superior.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next