spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-13 08:42:14: In what's not surprising given T-Mobile and Sprint's continued (for now) embraced of unlimited data, a research note by Macquarie Capital (via BGR) notes that data usage among Sprint and T-Mobile customers soared over AT&T and Verizon users during th.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Its not unlimited

I'm not familiar with the unlimited T-Mobile plan. The ones I've seen are limited based on how much you pay a month. After that, most applications will become unusable due to the reduced throughput imposed after you cross your limit.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

THXULTRA

@38.103.109.x
T-Mobile has a truly unlimited data plan. It is $80 a month and they don't throttle that one. I don't know how any one is using lots of data though on Sprints network. I have sprint and there network is awful. I don't even get LTE half the time in the city of Chicago. How do you not have a major city fully deployed. Sprint is a joke.

athornfam2

join:2013-09-25
York, PA
reply to dnoyeB
The Unlimited data and no throttling plan used to be $70 because my friend has had t-mobile for a while and praised them so much but yeah now that plan is $80 so you can use as much data as you want. Personally I don't use them I have 2 unlimited Verizon accounts and my family has sprint (York,pa sprint has pretty good coverage). Kinda surprised me at how much data sprint users use with them only having 55 million subscribers and Verizon having 95+ million.

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to dnoyeB
T-Mobile does have an unlimited data plan except tethering is limited to 5 GB. Also any data use when roaming( with T-moible that's A LOT of places ) is also capped and limited to 2G speeds.

USA

Can't be sustained

With T-Mobile constantly adding subscribers they do not have the spectrum to keep unlimited data going. According to the chart they had a 67% increase between 4th Q 2013 and Q1 2013. At that rate the average user will be using 150 GB within 2 years

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to athornfam2

Re: Its not unlimited

Don't forget that if these graphs are being built based around averages, having less customers means those heavier users stand out. But then there is the true factor for both T-Mobile and Sprint where users are simply not afraid to use their data in fear of going over a data cap. I can name many people who actively shut their cellular data off on their AT&T and Verizon phones just to avoid any possible chance of getting a data overage. In essence, this stops them from receiving MMS text messages and turns their smartphone right into a dumb phone.

robbyglack

@67.176.23.x

metropcs a big factor

i wonder how metropcs compares the plain t-mobile brand.

i work at stores that do both. most t-mo brand customers actually do not use that much data. than i see the data usage from some of the metro customers and its massive. at first i sure lots of people were using tethering workarounds. it turns out it mostly people using their phones as day entertainment hubs. streaming music running nonstop and in many case running you tube continuously for background music even if they are looking at the screen on the phone. the $80 t-mo plan is just above the budget for many people but metropcs has unlimited for $60 and people are utilizing it.

also these prepaid customers mostly do not have home internet or jobs with access to wifi. if they come in the store asking if a certain phone has wifi capability 90% they are asking about tethering and assume i should automatically know that's what they mean. they had never even though about connecting a phone to home or public wifi.

for now at least it seem like t-mobile network can handle the traffic. the only complaints i ever hear are from people who are on the data capped plans and just don't understand how throttling can make the phone so slow. they are expected 10% the un throttled speed but are getting less than 1%.

BTW. i have also worked with cricket and even with slow 3G those customers also use massive amount of data. on boost people try to use data but the network is such crap most people don't stick around more than month unless they are 90% talk/text customers.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Sprint Usage Increasing?!?!

Data Usage

Well it isn't because of me. This screen capture from my iPhone 4S shows all data usage since November 2013. The middle column is Sprint cellular data usage and the right column is WiFi. I gave up in December after slow performance, timeout's and connection failures. I could not even stream radio stations in the car when it was moving. The Apple store tested my iPhone as part of a battery replacement and it is fine. Unfortunately where I have my home address, Sprint service has never been upgraded and backhaul is terrible. In some places, I roam on Verizon which is limited to 1xRTT. If it wasn't for the fact that my employer provides the cellular service to me, I would have jumped ship long ago.

bigballer

@205.214.216.x
reply to 78036364

Re: Can't be sustained

I'm assuming LTE-A is a bit more spectrum efficient than its predecessors and why tmobile is in a rush to convert their edge to LTE and rush out VoLTE so they can refarm a lot of their network

By far, the smartest thing tmobile has done is start their fiber optic backhaul back in 2008 and complete it in 2011-2012ish.

THat's sprint's biggest problem. Their BS of a backhaul, most of which is still run with T1

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

2 edits

Its not unlimited

Double post

USA
reply to n2jtx

Re: Sprint Usage Increasing?!?!

The iPhone 4s can only do 3G at best so don't expect blazing speed even under idea conditions.

athornfam2

York, PA
reply to THXULTRA

It really depends on the area your in and who builds the network. Sprint obviously doesn't build the whole network by themselves they have sub contractors to pick the work up that they can't do. Just like in my area York,PA we get decent LTE 3-5 bars average. At my house where I have verizon i get like 2 bars and somehow my family gets 5 and sprint is using verizon towers. I don't know why but somehow they get a better signal and its a constant 10-15 down and 5 up. I can't say the same cause verizon sucks in rural areas.

athornfam2

York, PA
reply to n2jtx

3G is the slowest ever. If you had 4G LTE that would be a different story because it is fairly decent

bookertdub

join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA

As a Sprint Customer...

...I guess I'm in the minority of being a satisfied customer. At least in San Diego. Their 4G LTE in the San Diego area I've experienced tends to be between 5-15 megs down which is personally good enough for me, thus I've been able to average about 7 gigs a month on their cellular network. Everywhere else I tend to be most of the time, whether it's my house, my parents house, or at work, I've got sufficient WiFi to cover the my data needs.

robbyglack

@67.176.82.x
reply to athornfam2

said by athornfam2:

3G is the slowest ever. If you had 4G LTE that would be a different story because it is fairly decent

my limited experience with sprint is that in areas with LTE deployed 3G actually works really well since the load is off. but nearly everyplace i go sprint is 3G only and pretty much useless

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to THXULTRA

I thought Chicago was a Spark city?

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to 78036364
said by 78036364:

T-Mobile does have an unlimited data plan except tethering is limited to 5 GB.

Which means it is not unlimited.

Thanksy

join:2013-04-25
Troy, NY
reply to 78036364

I think if you extrapolate one extraordinary period of any statistic as the norm over the next several years you'd reach quite a large number of absurd results

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to Smith6612

Yea, even in the case of the limited T-mobile plans, it's not like your going to get a surprize high bill, you'll just get booted down to edge speeds. Which isn't fun, but it's better than bill shock.
I know a number of T-mobile users who hit their cap and get throttled for a few days almost every month, the fear of hitting your cap isn't anywhere near as big of a deal on T-mobile.
I've been on limited AT&T plans and limited and unlimited T-mobile plans and I use a lot more data on T-mobile just because I'm not afraid of the bill.

thxultra

@38.103.109.x
reply to silbaco
Chicago has spark but I swear they didn't put LTE on every tower in the area because I don't get LTE in most places. I have a galaxy S5 so i know it isn't the phone as the S5 works with spark. When it is on spark it works great but try to run a simple app like ingress on it most of the time and it lags because the data speed is awful. I used T-mobile before in this area and it was great. Big difference I really regret switching. I would switch back in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay off my phone.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to 78036364

Assuming the high spike in Q1 is going to continue at the same rate is kind of absurd. the spike is likely due to the fact that they where nearing the completion of upgrading 3G areas to LTE. And with their new promotions they are getting some more heavier users to switch.

The 67% increase won't continue , unless what you can do with your smartphone drastically changes. This is mostly the upgrade from HSPA to LTE. T-mobile LTE is faster than any other carrier in my neck of the woods, I think unlimited can be sustained, but if it can't I don't think you'll see them resort the draconian small caps of AT&T and Verizon.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to robbyglack

Re: metropcs a big factor

That's part of the problem with unlimited on 4G. People have no incentive to use wifi, even if it is available. Having both LTE and HSPA, they will be able to handle it for now. But that could become problematic and expensive to continue in the long run.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI

The only reason

The only reason Sprint's data usage is increasing is people spend more time trying to download something so it's not the SIZE of the file, the time it takes to download it that's fudging the numbers. Lets look at REAL data throughput vs size of the file and come back with some numbers that reflect whats really going on (with Sprint anyway).

(in short terms: Sprints network is too slow to even matter anymore and even if they cut thier price in half, it would not be a bargan).

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to dnoyeB

It gets throttled to 256k. Plenty to navigate (done it on EDGE), plenty to stream music (64k max) and do a bunch of other things. Won't win any speed awards but much better than paying $10/GB in overages.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to elray

said by elray:

said by 78036364:

T-Mobile does have an unlimited data plan except tethering is limited to 5 GB.

Which means it is not unlimited.

Tethering is not phone use. Tethering is trying to make mobile data for fixed use.
Now sprint may get fixed use someday but will be set up not to interfere with mobile use.

Popeye

join:2014-05-29
USA
reply to dnoyeB
I have T-Mobile. Family has 3 Nexus4 unlocked phones which we own and have unlimited data, talk and text for $160 a month. Verizon, AT$T, Sprint couldn't even come close to that. I went unlimited after I checked usage one month and found out my wife was streaming TouTube in the car listening to self-help/other stuff. Performance in Las Vegas area has been pretty good and they even threw in a free $400 cell booster when I told them service at the house was spotty. Now I have four bars and no regrets. If the merger with Sprint happens I will leave them.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to n2jtx

My local tower does not have LTE. Sensorly shows no LTE emanating from my local tower. I am on Sprint's notification list (supposedly) for when/if they upgrade the site.

But as others have noted, Sprint 3G is useless. I might has well be using 56K dialup when it is raining on a 75 year old copper pair. I doubt I will upgrade to an LTE capable phone with Sprint. Their unlock policy states they will never fully unlock iPhone's purchased now. My iPhone 4S is capable of having the domestic SIM lock removed per Apple but they will not do it without Sprint authorizing it. Sprint says they will not. Basically any Sprint iPhone becomes a domestic brick if the service is terminated. Your only recourse is to have the foreign SIM lock removed and sell it overseas. Mine is a 64GB model and Sprint has graciously offered $65 for it in the form of a service credit. I cannot stop laughing!
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

T-Mo Usage

I do around 100+ gigs a month with T-Mobile. This is a screenshot I took about a week ago.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to tc1uscg

Re: The only reason

I know that was meant to be a stab at Sprint, since they are this sites designated whipping boy, but that really makes no sense. If you download a 10Mb file, it will still be 10Mb no matter if you download it on 1X, EVDO, Wimax or LTE. Which weighs more, a ton of rocks or a ton of feathers. And besides logic dictates if you have a downstream speed of 15Mb down, you will consume more data in a given period then if you have a downstream speed of 256Kb.

At lunch today a few of us from work went to the park down the road, a guy with AT&T wanted to show me a stupid video on YouTube, it would play a few seconds and buffer. Had no problem playing on my 'too slow to matter' Sprint connection which is faster then a lot of peoples home connections.

Last time I checked I'm approaching 7GB this billing cycle, which is kind of low for me. Because their coverage is so poor around here, I know of no one personally with everyone's favorite magenta colored 'uncarrier', the company that will save us all and the darling of this site. I checked Sensorly and there is next to no 4G in my market, looking at their own coverage map from their website, a good portion of the area, including where I work, where I live and where I frequent is 2G. Yay T-Mobile!
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

simlesa
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Astoria, NY

Tmobile has excellent LTE speeds.... where available

T-mobile 4G LTE speed test in NYC
In my town (NYC) I get awesome speeds on T-Mobile. About the same I would get with my home Cable internet line. So using a lot of data a month is really easy. When I go out of town however, a lot of time I get Edge only, and it usually means I can't any more than 60 kbps or so.