spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-13 15:33:17: Long-time telecom analyst Bruce Kushnick has a good read exploring how AT&T keeps making the same broadband deployment promises over and over again every time they want something from government, and nobody in the technology press can be bothered to .. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

att

If u dont build it they will definitely not come

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

AT&T (then SBC) promised to deploy broadband ...

AT&T (then SBC) promised to deploy broadband to every home in their 22-state footprint in exchange for regulators locking the FiOS and U-Verse networks off from open access policies and competition...
I don't believe FiOS was a SBC or AT&T product, I'm sure either would have loved to see Verizon being forced to line share.
I can understand if you meant just U-verse. Or if you said FTTx.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3

2 recommendations

Hey if it works

They would be stupid not to do what has worked before. Corporations are not for the benefit of mankind. They are for profit entities which is what is needed if anyone ever hopes to retire using a 401K.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Re: AT&T (then SBC) promised to deploy broadband ...

Other articles on this show they promised FTTH so he probably meant that.

Of course they failed to do any of that as well and are still relying on their crap copper throughout a vast majority of their foot print.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Skippy25:

FTTH so he probably meant that

Probably but to avoid any (more) confusion over who did what, I though Karl could clarify.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
Sentence is clunky I guess. I meant to say Powell's 2004 move allowed AT&T and Verizon to avoid having to provide open access to the U-Verse and FiOS networks.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22

2 recommendations

Why is no one paying attention?

Are we all so glued to our cell phones that no one cares?

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to tshirt

The post also states "broadband" it does not state wired or by a dish. So technically what AT&T has promised, has been done. And AT&T also sells U-Verse at 300megs- so yes that is met as well.

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

A Continuing Pattern of Broken Promises, Year after Year after Year......

Maybe, that's why AT&T gets along so well with so many local, state, and federal politicians!!!! Birds of a feather......

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

I don't believe FiOS was a SBC or AT&T product

SBC was calling it project Lightspeed.

extreme100
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

Comcast delivers...even in rural backwater Coloma!

AT&T makes promises, Comcast delivers!

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Bob61571

Re: A Continuing Pattern of Broken Promises, Year after Year after Year......

Exactly. That's the game in Washington. You don't air anyone else's dirty laundry, lest yours get aired.

You don't get to play in the big leagues unless you have enough dirt available on you to be pressured into "correct" voting and thinking, at least in public.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

What

Didnt know Direct Tv was selling broadband through their Satellite.

atcotr

@65.60.144.x
reply to guppy_fish

Re: Hey if it works

I would say, "Hate the game, not the player!" but AT&T distorts the game: »www.opensecrets.org/orgs/topreci···cle=2014

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to CaptainRR

said by CaptainRR:

said by tshirt:

I don't believe FiOS was a SBC or AT&T product

SBC was calling it project Lightspeed.

The "it" in your sentence is grammatically referring to the "FiOS®" of the previous post. SBC couldn't call "it" anything; it wasn't theirs to name.

Of course, Project Lightspeed was SBC's precursor to "U-verse®".

But please: FTTH is generic. "FiOS®" and "U-verse®" are corporate brands.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to ITGeeks
No it hasn't. If you read you will see in their own words they say wired and 200kbps. Neither have been done.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Karl Bode
Infact U-verse was going to be all fiber before shareholders got to it!

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to tigerpaw509

Re: What

They owned Hugesnet for a long time!

MDA
From Monkey to Man
Premium
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN

If you plan to do something evil...

Put/Say it in a boring way.

Time to stop fussing around about the loss of your monopoly, AT&T. Time to start proving you can at least run a network (perhaps a business as well?).

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to Skippy25

And if you read what was posted here- it says "broadband".

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO

1 edit
Sometimes you have to do a little work yourself and not rely on someone to hand feed you the information so if you read on your own beyond this you will see the definition of that is 200kbps and they still fail.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to ITGeeks
I know they claim to offer speeds faster than 32mbps, but do they actually deliver it anywhere?

Remember this is the same company that offered the exact same top speed over fiber as they did with copper to retain a "universal service" across all markets. Talk about morons.

bruce@newnetworks.com

join:2000-01-08

1 recommendation

It was about fiber optics and upgrading the copper

You guys are funny. The name of the product, U-Verse, FiOS, who cares.

the story is -- then SBC lied to the FCC that they would deploy a 100 Mbps fiber optic service to the home... and yet at the same time they had announced a product that would end up being copper to the home (u-Verse) and the announcement was for 'fiber-based' but in reality AT&T again lied as they made people it was fiber optic to the home but instead the decided to use the in-place legacy copper wires--

in the AT&T-BellSouth merger in 2007, they claimed that 100% would get something that was the speed of 200kbps in 1 directions -- which was obviously not fiber upgrades and they could even use wireless to substitute in 15% --

and yet, in the end we find that in 2014 they never even did that -- they never even gave customers any broadband in rural areas -- though we have no idea exactly how many never got anything -- from the Direct TV it would be 15 million of their 76 million lines or in the 'Carbon Hill" Alabama IP trial there are at least 4% who will never get IP and the new data shows that they are planning on shutting off 60% of the wires in these rural areas -- so probably 20-60% never got any upgrades.

Ironically, in almost every state there were previous commitments to do fiber optic-to the home or curb deployments starting in the 1990's to upgrade these same wires to fiber -- and state laws were changed to pay for it.

The real question now is --who does and who doesn't get upgraded or is moved to some wireless product-- where the company makes more money. And it's also about cable competition -- as it's now clear that without AT&T and Verizon extending their networks, except for satellite, there's not going to be cable competition and lower rates. And it means America ain't going to get 100mbps-1 gig services (as promised by SBC in 2004) - as U-Verse broadband will get to at best 70%, and 40% with cable.

Did we all pay billions per state so that the incumbents could shut off instead of upgrade the utility networks, and decide who gets it and who doesn't?

And for those waiting for AT&T's 'fiber cities' -- anyone who thinks AT&T is going to come through if a Direct TV merger happens-- might as well wait for Godot.

But the other thing rarely discussed are the special access wires that AT&T and Verizon have monopolies over and so they can control all of the wireless services as competitors have to use these wires and Verizon and AT&T have gouged them. Those wires aren't being shut off...

Karl wrote: "Granted between an unskeptical press that just repeats all of AT&T's claims without a shred of independent thought or analysis," -- good thing Karl is around to tell readers what the real story is... and not parrot some press release.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

1 recommendation

funny

Some poor soul was going door to door in neighborhood today, trying to sell uverse. The guy reportedly tried to say "it's fiber optic service!" ... Hahahaha. Yeah, to the box down the street.

Their business fiber plans are all over the place. There is fiber all around. Getting it to homes will probably happen someday, but coax cable still has some huge advantages for now. The "3.1" docsis standards will be plenty for the next wave of general home use.

Silver_2000
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 recommendation

ATT is already WAY too big and already has not concern for customers

ATT Business has been taking 45 days to get even simply phone number ports done. THey shouldnt be allowed to aquire more till they get the business they have working relatively well

We even tried an executive escalation and even the ATT executive escalation process is broken.... If they had ANY real competition in most of their areas they wouldnt survive

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Frankly,
AT&T and Verizon need to be blown up!!

I totally despise those 2 companies.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Suntop
Premium
join:2000-03-23
Fairfield, MT
Reviews:
·3Rivers Communic..

1 recommendation

reply to chip89

said by chip89:

Infact U-verse was going to be all fiber before shareholders got to it!

So what you are saying AT&T is not to blame it is the shareholders? For some reason, that seems to be a lame excuse. I say that AT&T wants to have control over everything. Since they cannot be MaBell they tried to be MaCell, but that kinda failed too. They are doing this so that they get what they really want... Their monopoly back.
--
The following statement is true...

The preceding statement was false!!
--George Carlin

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
Reviews:
·3Rivers Communic..
reply to Bob61571

Re: A Continuing Pattern of Broken Promises, Year after Year after Year......

said by Bob61571:

Birds of a feather......

Awesome! Someone said it.

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
reply to tigerpaw509

Re: What

You did not know? Both providers are. I think they call it DirectWay IIRC.

Suntop
Premium
Fairfield, MT
Reviews:
·3Rivers Communic..
reply to cork1958

Re: ATT is already WAY too big and already has not concern for customers

said by cork1958:

Frankly,
AT&T and Verizon need to be blown up!!

Wait, what about Sprint for crappy coverage? I think what needs to happen is everyone needs to play by the same rules and stop killing competition the way AT&T does. And as for Verizon they need to stop making empty promises and raising prices with fake fees..