spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-16 10:30:34: Sprint and T-Mobile still haven't even announced their expected merger yet, but that clearly isn't stopping leaked information on the deal from continuing to emerge. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

genius

Sprint brand is so damage, it makes sense, too bad they can't also ditch the bad service they provide, everything needs to be transferred to T-Mobile and the SS Sprint needs to be sunk

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

Bought wrong company

I think that is the only good plan form a Sprint / Tmobile combo. scrap sprint and it's horrible reputation.

Anyone else think Son is realizing after a little while owning sprint that he bought the wrong US wireless carrier. He should have bought T-mobile originally.

robbyglack

@67.176.82.x
reply to fiosultimate

Re: genius

said by fiosultimate:

Sprint brand is so damage, it makes sense, too bad they can't also ditch the bad service they provide, everything needs to be transferred to T-Mobile and the SS Sprint needs to be sunk

many recently released sprint handsets have GSM/HSPA radios built in with the bands t-mobile uses, they just take lengths to block usage on US carriers even if the handsets are unlocked. it should be possible for software updates to move a large percentage of sprint handsets over to t-mobile network. in many cities t-mobile HSPA works better than sprint LTE.

bigballer

@205.214.216.x

which ones????

only one I see is the nexus 5.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
reply to MovieLover76

Re: Bought wrong company

Sprint still owns a world wide, Tier 1 fiber network. T-Mobile doesn't.

Next...

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

I see... So is it connected to their towers?

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

You know the feeling?

You know the feeling you get when you finally realize that no matter what, the signal in your hometown is not going to get any better, any time at all? Sprint lit up a tower with intermittent 4g, but it is still dog slow. I am going to break contract and just move down to Ting. My son is leaving Sprint in two months. So sad.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to fiosultimate

It makes sense to ditch the Sprint brand even if not using Tmobile name as well. Given that DT would only own 15-20% of new company, it would surprise me that DT would allow Softbank to control the Tmobile brand name in US when it's still used in Europe.

I imagine they are also thinking of a new name altogether, or maybe eventually. I just can't see DT allowing Softbank control the brand name long term.

I give it less than 50% chance Feds allow this go through unless also allowing both ATT/DirecTV and Comcast/TWC to go through.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
reply to IPPlanMan

Some towers are, some aren't. Should they build towers only where they have fiber? Is that what you're pushing?

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
reply to mob

There fiber network is obsolete

sprintsdead

@75.161.80.x

1 recommendation

Sprints fiber network...been a long time since I have seen packets fly down those avenues. A few ISP's in the area used to be Sprint connected, and it was ok service, but I noticed that those companies are using TW/Level3/Cogent for uplink these days, and I don't see any Sprint in the BGP tables..that network is tired, probably hasn't been upgraded since the dot com bomb.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to fiosultimate

said by fiosultimate:

everything needs to be transferred to T-Mobile

You honestly believe that the T-Mobile network would be able to accept the many millions of additional customers thrown onto it? It would fast forward what is going to happen to the T-Mobile network in several years anyways and grind it to a halt overnight.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

SoftBank wasn't enough?

Softbank's money wasn't enough for Sprint to rebound?

Mr Guy

join:2014-05-06
USA
reply to spewak

Re: You know the feeling?

said by spewak:

You know the feeling you get when you finally realize that no matter what, the signal in your hometown is not going to get any better, any time at all? Sprint lit up a tower with intermittent 4g, but it is still dog slow. I am going to break contract and just move down to Ting. My son is leaving Sprint in two months. So sad.

Ting uses Sprint towers so how is your coverage going to improve? No MVNO can outdo a actual carrier.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to MovieLover76

said by MovieLover76:

Anyone else think Son is realizing after a little while owning sprint that he bought the wrong US wireless carrier. He should have bought T-mobile originally.

...and what would that have done? They are both two cell phone companies that wont / cant do much on their own when going up against the big two.

His ploy all along I think was to buy them both over time.

Dont tell me you are one of the folks that believe anything that T-Mobile has done wasnt simply preparation for a sale.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to mob

I'm not saying that. Those connections were T-1's... For too long.

mob
On the next level..
Premium

They can only build out what the local provider will support. Just getting NV upgrades in place is like pulling teeth and it's just metro ethernet backhaul...

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
reply to mob

I'm very curious what they'll do with the wired services side, should the deal pass.
Sprint circuit, via AT&T fiber. Block of IP addresses that I'd not like to lose. Mostly very excellent service.

paulcarlucci

join:2012-08-10
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: SoftBank wasn't enough?

You can't fix stupid.

NoMergerPlox

@98.250.128.x

Still a bad idea

It is so far, still a bad idea. For a multitude of reasons. If you want to know what the best solution to a possible merger would be then here is my opinion based on facts about both companies:

1. Eliminate Sprint as a brand except for the tier 1 fiber network and backhaul network
2. Switch over to GSM entirely and use the spectrum currently deployed for Wi-Max, CDMA, etc for coverage on existing towers+new buildouts (CDMA is a crap technology and is no longer supported by android as well). T-Mobile has a larger network in terms of what it actually owns. It would be cheaper in the long run.
3. Utilize sprints old microwave towers as new cell sites (they have a bunch sitting around in rural areas that are EMPTY of any equipment after their big fiber buildout) as well as rent out capacity on them for competition
4. Deploy LTE in the majority of urban and highway footprint of the new company
5. Deploy HSPA-DC in areas where LTE is not viable or at minimum HSPA+
6. Keep John Legere as CEO and the ENTIRE T-Mobile U.S Board/management team and get rid of the sprint one. They've botched too many things. They have to go.
7. Deploy GSM/HSPA+/LTE on 800mhz in rural/suburban areas increasing footprint and coverage area.
8. Utilize Sprint's own fiber network for backhaul for new towers/tower upgrades
9. Keep T-Mobile plans in addition to Framily and scrap the rest of sprints old plans. Do not allow the renewal of contracts.
10. Make deal with Ma T-Mobile in Germany to keep international roaming and still be a part of the T-Mobile family.
11. Keep unlimited data (with a bigger footprint and upgraded capacity/service they'll make bank on subscribers defecting from AT&T and Verizon as well as business customers)
12. Keep T-Mobile policy of overbuilding towers (vs Sprint's underbuilding and congestion)
13. Get rid of the majority of MVNO's or keep them on the legacy CDMA network until it's turned off. Combine them into 1-2 MVNO's. (Probably BOOST and a T-Mobile pre-pay) to cut back on network congestion.
14. No unlimited data for MVNO subs unless the MVNO wants to pay network access fees to help offset the cost of network maintenance and upgrades.
15. Expand coverage footprint as much as possible and as quickly as possible.

Those are the main things I can think of. Will they happen? Probably not for most of them. Plus the money required to do so would be insane. With all the debt the new company will have I doubt a merger would be beneficial to either company.

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to paulcarlucci

Softbank is unfortunately focused on Tmobile merger instead of finishing Spark rollout, filling in blank areas with 800 and expanding rural. Spark works really well in my area, which is essentially 100% complete. The issue is they are announcing Spark areas with only 70% sites complete and that doesn't cut it.

Erick G

@172.56.1.x
reply to IPPlanMan

It may have been enough to take on T-Mobile for sure, but at the end he realized that the big two will still be far ahead, and if he put the hammer down on T-Mobile and force it to go bad after a lengthy and expensive war between the two, ATT and VZN would still be there, and probably in a better position after picking up some pieces of a vanished TMO.

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x
reply to existenz

Yep, Spark built areas are amazing on Sprint. I live in Cedar Rapids which is Spark and my Sprint service is amazing. Travel to Coralville, which has not been touched as part of the Spark roll out and it's like a trip to the stone age with speed tests of 0.1k.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

SoftBank USA?

This articles claims the planned combined company name will be "SoftBank USA": Sprint and T-Mobile to allegedly merge as SoftBank USA, full details leaked

I'll just repeat the comments I made on another forum...

Seriously?

"Softbank" may be a good name for a wireless provider in Japan, but, here in the U.S., most people are going to look at that name and go "Say what?" Companies spend Big Buck$ on developing names and branding. "Sprint" engenders the idea of speed. "T-Mobile" makes one think of, well, mobile. But "SoftBank?" What is a "soft bank?" Going with a name like that, here in the U.S., would be a good way for Masayoshi Son to shoot himself squarely in the foot.

Personally, with what Legere's been doing, I expect T-Mobile has very positive name recognition. But Deutsche Telekom may not be interested in letting Son use it in the U.S. "Sprint"...? Well, while the brand has attracted a lot of negative publicity, due to repeated misfires, I think it would still be a heckuva a lot better than "SoftBank USA."

In fact, were I Son, I'd have to consider dropping "SoftBank," which I expect means nothing to anybody outside of Japan, and making "Sprint" the name, internationally.

Then again: Maybe "sprint," in Japanese, means "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Jim

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x
reply to NoMergerPlox

Re: Still a bad idea

Wow you must work on the T-Mobile board of directors or something.

GSM is dead end, I love seeing all the hate on 1x Advanced from people who are clueless. 1x is much more efficient for voice than GSM ever could dream of.

In any merger it's almost a given that GSM will be sunset, Softbank is a CDMA carrier in Japan, in fact there is no GSM at all in Japan, all CDMA based as it is much more advanced technology.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to jseymour

Re: SoftBank USA?

said by jseymour:

Then again: Maybe "sprint," in Japanese, means "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Sprint, T-Mobile, and Softbank, "All in the Framily" or something equally ridiculous.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
reply to Mr Guy

Re: You know the feeling?

Better Coverage? No.
HTC One using Sprint's network? Yes.
Much cheaper alternative is Ting to Sprint.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to existenz

said by existenz:

Softbank is unfortunately focused on Tmobile merger instead of finishing Spark rollout, filling in blank areas with 800 and expanding rural. Spark works really well in my area, which is essentially 100% complete. The issue is they are announcing Spark areas with only 70% sites complete and that doesn't cut it.

They have the rural alliance now. If merge with Tmobile there are some areas tmobile covers and not Sprint. Then have read Son may say the combined company will allow a rural buildout so ammo for the merger. If he started a full fledge rural buildout now the government could say doing fine on own dont need merger.
My service is steadily improving as far as speed. There are gaps. Yet tmobile is not perfect and I know people that have gaps big time. But the price and glittery tmobile ceo keep them.
Sprint is not as bad as most say and improving daily, and tmobile is not as great. They both have strentghs and weaknesses. Just tmobile has a better flim flam man.

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to jseymour

Re: SoftBank USA?

SoftBank USA is the parent company name. They'll likely have many consumer facing names (like Sprint already does) and I could see them getting rid of Sprint name for mobile but would be surprised if DT allows Softbank to control Tmobile brand in US when still using name in Europe - maybe for a while but not long term.

Softbank is a strange name for the US as a telcom name - too confusing with banking, I don't see it as a consumer facing name for products but as the parent name of several child companies.

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to nonymous

Yeah, Sprint's rural access is much better as a visitor but not for residents in those areas who want same degree of performance. I was visiting nowhere Eastern Kentucky recently getting just enough to consistently stream Netflix on Sprint - really surprised me. Was showing as a Sprint network ID, not roaming - maybe one of those alliance networks.

They need to finish Spark in cities/towns asap and rural should eventually be a rolled out with native service at same level as VZW. The Tmobile merger probably won't go through anyway and is distracting what they really should be focused on.