dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-17 08:45:45: Columbia Law Professor Tim Wu, who effectively coined the term net neutrality, is running for Lieutenant governor of the state of New York, notes the Washington Post. ..

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

1 recommendation

newview

Premium Member

Fingers crossed ...

The very best thing that could come from this is thrusting the Net Neutrality issue into the National Spotlight and make it a highly visible campaign issue, thereby forcing the cable-owned media conglomerates to actually report on it and raise the awareness of the public.

mikekay
Premium Member
join:2011-01-29
Kitchener, ON

2 recommendations

mikekay

Premium Member

Stay Clear...

Of the politics involved and remember the reason you ran

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

2 recommendations

Packeteers

Premium Member

in NY he's preaching to the chior

we need a guy like that to run in PA or VA
NY has enough tech savvy liberals by now.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Re: in NY he's preaching to the chior

No, because I still don't have Fios.

OneWeekLeft
@50.182.54.x

OneWeekLeft

Anon

Time short to make their point

The NY Primary is a week away. Teachout & Wu, 2 law professors, have a week to make their point before they disappear in a landslide running against a sitting governor and lieutenant governor. After next Tuesday their media coverage disappears.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

Re: Time short to make their point

said by OneWeekLeft :

The NY Primary is a week away. Teachout & Wu, 2 law professors, have a week to make their point before they disappear in a landslide running against a sitting governor and lieutenant governor. After next Tuesday their media coverage disappears.

While I admire the fact that he is running, I wonder why he tossed his hat in the ring so late in the game? I don't think he stands a chance against the entrenched interests, I just wish he'd made his decision earlier.
fg8578

fg8578

And when he invariably loses, Conservatives will make this out to be a "referendum on Net Neutrality", which of course it isn't.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by fg8578:

And when he invariably loses, Conservatives will make this out to be a "referendum on Net Neutrality", which of course it isn't

As a law professor, he should know, when making a test case you need to pick it very carefully to be sure you do not create irrefutable case law that you can't live with.
However like many, the ego got in the way.
He's trading away a chance to make some positive NN statement, for his own 15 minutes of fame.

fg8578
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

said by tshirt:

As a law professor, he should know, when making a test case you need to pick it very carefully to be sure you do not create irrefutable case law that you can't live with.
However like many, the ego got in the way.
He's trading away a chance to make some positive NN statement, for his own 15 minutes of fame.

I agree, but an election is not the same as case law.

Simply losing an election does not set some sort of binding legal precedent for Net Neutrality. I just means the loser can't hold and serve the office he was running for.

All the issues he stands for are still in play.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to fg8578

Premium Member

to fg8578
Can you explain why you choose to attack conservatives as if net neutrality is Republican vs. Democrat? Is it too hard to handle a Republican being against net neutrality? The dingo in charge of the FCC was appointed by Barack.

fg8578
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

said by biochemistry:

Can you explain why you choose to attack conservatives as if net neutrality is Republican vs. Democrat? Is it too hard to handle a Republican being against net neutrality? The dingo in charge of the FCC was appointed by Barack.

Are you asking me? It happens that I am a Republican. But what I said still stands. Just look at the fact that there are zero Republican co-sponsors of the Leahy bill to ban fast lanes. And there are zero Democratic co-sponsors of the Republican bill to ban Title II regulation of broadband.

Conservatives generally view any government regulation as an intrusion on their property rights. I'm a Conservative but my own views on technology don't always align with the Conservative consensus (to the extent there is one) or the Republican Party platform.
fg8578

fg8578 to biochemistry

to biochemistry
said by biochemistry:

Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about:

95 Candidates Who Pledged Support For Net Neutrality Lost On Tuesday

Maybe it's not fair to say Conservatives or Republicans will turn a Wu loss into a NN issue; I should have said NN opponents will turn a Wu loss into a NN issue.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to biochemistry

to biochemistry
The Republican FCC commissioners don't support even Wheeler's stupidly weak net neutrality proposals. Do you know why? They said it was "too much regulation".

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to fg8578

Premium Member

to fg8578
said by fg8578:

I just wish he'd made his decision earlier.

Just a short PR event.

fg8578
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

fg8578

said by tshirt:

said by fg8578:

I just wish he'd made his decision earlier.

Just a short PR event.

Maybe. But it would've been nice to educate voters about Net Neutrality just to see how much of an issue they truly believe it to be.

Internet users like us are not a valid sample of probable voters. I'd like to see what actual voters think about NN and how important it really is (or is not).
biochemistry
Premium Member

biochemistry

Premium Member

?

What does Wu mean by "And okay, maybe we should all be on wireless, but they refused to do things."?

fg8578
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

Re: ?

said by biochemistry:

What does Wu mean by "And okay, maybe we should all be on wireless, but they refused to do things."?

I think he means wireless will almost certainly replace POTS for voice communications, and wireless might replace wired broadband, if some things happen, like increasing the currently low data caps.
biochemistry
Premium Member

1 recommendation

biochemistry

Premium Member

Wireless cannot replace fiberoptics. While there's no going back in terms of phone service, wireless is simply a bridging technology when it comes to the internet. Karl needs to educate Wu a little more.