spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-17 08:45:38: Sprint has announced that the company has beefed up their roaming footprint with new LTE roaming agreements with twelve different smaller, more rural-focused carriers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Roaming Charges

AKA its cheaper for us to use someone else than build out to you, and in the process you're going to out the ass for it as well.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I doubt it. Those small operators now get to market Sprint's LTE as if it was their own. Not much different than the existing CDMA/GSM/UMTS roaming agreements with smaller operators that have been mutually beneficial for some time now. The roaming agreements which are costly are the ones between the 4 major national networks...
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH

And when Sprint roams on those networks- as it says to expand their coverage- Sprint customers will start seeing roaming charges when they go over the allowed roaming in their plan.

pjsutton

join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

These kinds of deals usually means that it shows up as native coverage on your Sprint device.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

Square Miles

Yikes. Looking at that list, it's crazy to think how much area Sprint didn't cover before.

ITGeeks

Cleveland, OH
reply to pjsutton

Re: Roaming Charges

"usually" is the key part.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

Network Vision?

Will any Network Vision upgrades be made to these networks? Spark, etc.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL

Since they're not Sprint networks, I highly doubt Sprint will be doing anything to them at all.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL

SoLinc

Weird that SoutherLINC is on that list since it's an iDEN carrier, and IIRC they already had a roaming agreement with Sprint w/r/t Nextel. Is SouthernLINC spinning up LTE and/or CDMA now?

tlylework

@208.100.40.x

and if you use it

And if you use it we will send you a violation of contract letter....

Oh Sprint how you disappoint me. I was promised just wait until we upgrade our network it will be great. I still am unable to get cell signal in my house, I live in the city next to a major interstate. Where there is no excuse for poor coverage, yet I cannot get a signal in my house without an airave. Some explain to me why I pay this company $180/month?

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Square Miles

said by IPPlanMan:

Yikes. Looking at that list, it's crazy to think how much area Sprint didn't cover before.

You think thats crazy...T-Mobile is even less than that.

This is huge from a competition stand point too.

I just wish US Cellular was in on this but maybe in due time.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
reply to ITGeeks

I believe with this roaming alliance it will be considered native coverage.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to swintec

Is that so? How much less?

Sprint should just go ahead and buy US Cellular, though I understand why they won't... T-Mobile and all.

grapkoski
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC
reply to mixdup

Re: Network Vision?

Not directly, but CCA providers will be able to leverage existing Sprint technology and relationships to bulk buy equipment. Overall, making it cheaper for them and creating better coverage in more rural areas.

grapkoski
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Washington, DC
reply to mixdup

Re: SoLinc

SouthernLINC is in the process of building an LTE network, but it won't be online until next year. iDEN is still years from taking its final bow.

SteelerRaw

@8.28.150.x
reply to ITGeeks

said by ITGeeks:

And when Sprint roams on those networks- as it says to expand their coverage- Sprint customers will start seeing roaming charges when they go over the allowed roaming in their plan.

I don't believe so. Your assumption has been stated literally nowhere. More likely, this deal is somewhat similar to the LTEiRA program by Verizon and there are no "roaming" charges there either.

SteelerRaw

@8.28.150.x
reply to grapkoski

Re: Network Vision?

said by grapkoski:

Not directly, but CCA providers will be able to leverage existing Sprint technology and relationships to bulk buy equipment. Overall, making it cheaper for them and creating better coverage in more rural areas.

Correct. And not just network equipment either. Sprint will also help these smaller carriers in procuring handsets since they'll begin requesting that the manufacturers add Band 12 LTE to their handsets next year. Though Sprint doesn't own any band 12 spectrum themselves, a lot of these smaller carriers do so that'll be a big win for them. They'll also lease their spectrum out to CCA member carriers that want to build or expand their own LTE networks.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

Is that so? How much less?

It seems things are only referred to in POPs so I guess we are left comparing the two that way. Sprint reaches quite a few more than T-Mobile....it was just interesting that you made a comment about how little Sprint covers.

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···mpletion
--

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

I'm fair minded on this.

Coverage is a relative term. It needs to work where you go.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to tlylework

Re: and if you use it

said by tlylework :

And if you use it we will send you a violation of contract letter....

Oh Sprint how you disappoint me. I was promised just wait until we upgrade our network it will be great. I still am unable to get cell signal in my house, I live in the city next to a major interstate. Where there is no excuse for poor coverage, yet I cannot get a signal in my house without an airave. Some explain to me why I pay this company $180/month?

Depending on certain things framily can be cheaper. Plus once 800 is up and if your handset can use it then may have coverage.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to IPPlanMan

I doubt Sprint is interested in US Cellular. US Cellular uses primarily 700 band 12 for LTE which Sprint does not, and they serve a lot of rural areas which Sprint does not seem to have interest in.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by silbaco:

they serve a lot of rural areas which Sprint does not seem to have interest in.

They havent had interest in it before but USCC is ripe for the pickings and could be had for a pretty decent price. It could be the start of rural cellular acquisitions.
--

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to ITGeeks

Roaming charges have't existed in the US for more then 10 years now.

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to IPPlanMan

They bought parts of US Cellular a few years ago.

chip89
Premium
Independence, OH
reply to grapkoski

Tell that to Nextel..

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
reply to chip89

In 2013, Sprint bought US Cellular territory from Chicago to St. Louis(inclusive of both metros and areas in-between around both I-55 and I-57). By a certain date in 2013, USC subs had to leave USC for someone else. Obviously, Sprint tried to get those USC people to go with Sprint. Since I live next to that area, my impression(after talking to some people) is that most USC subs left both USC and Sprint, and went to other wireless companies.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by Bob61571:

In 2013, Sprint bought US Cellular territory from Chicago to St. Louis(inclusive of both metros and areas in-between around both I-55 and I-57). By a certain date in 2013, USC subs had to leave USC for someone else. Obviously, Sprint tried to get those USC people to go with Sprint. Since I live next to that area, my impression(after talking to some people) is that most USC subs left both USC and Sprint, and went to other wireless companies.

Sprints end game was the spectrum that USC had..not really the users. Quite a few of them couldnt pass Sprints credit requirements anyways (USC was quite lax credit wise).
--

SubaruBoy

join:2013-01-09

Hah, yea so going to AT&T or Verizon would give them a better chance of getting service?

DarnellP

join:2004-10-12
Las Vegas, NV
reply to ITGeeks

said by ITGeeks:

Still swinging and missing,eh Kyle?

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to chip89

Different situation and also they is it internally for company use also. Not going anywhere any time soon.