dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-17 09:39:20: Confirming earlier leaks, the Wall Street Journal indicates that Amazon's new smartphone will indeed be an AT&T exclusive, and may be the first example of AT&T's controversial "Sponsored Data" idea. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

I've never understood why manufacturers go for 'exclusive'

Sure, AT&T has something to toot about. So they have some marketing advantage, maybe.

But if Amazon really wants to make a big splash with their phone and use it as a pipeline for additional sales and broaden the retail horizon, then making this phone exclusive to AT&T seems counter-intuitive.

What's the point of cutting off every Sprint, verizon, T-Mobile, etc. users from Amazon? If I were Bezos, I would want my phone to be available as widely as possible.

In the end, it's all about money, and AT&T must be paying Amazon a pretty good chunk of it for Amazon to whore themselves like this.

bigballer
@205.214.216.x

bigballer

Anon

lol

lol this again?.....

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Don't Use Either

I wouldn't have SBC wireless service on a bet, and Amazon's streaming content? Not when I can rent a Blu-ray for around $1.50 less, or outright buy whatever it is, someday down the road, for $5 out of Walmart's grab bin.

The only reason the likes of SBC and Amazon get away with this kind of nonsense is consumers fall for it. Like the saying goes: "There's a sucker born every minute."

Jim
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to tpkatl

to tpkatl

Re: I've never understood why manufacturers go for 'exclusive'

I don't get it either. Would I consider an Amazon phone if one was on Verizon? Sure. Would I consider switching to At&t just to get an Amazon phone? Nope. Maybe one day Bezos will get that.
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

1 recommendation

nfotiu to tpkatl

to tpkatl
Normally, I'd agree with you. However, I suspect that Amazon is taking a different approach at differentiating themselves in the phone game. Their killer feature may well be a packaged, heavily subsidized AT&T plan sold through Amazon. ie, it seems possible they could offer something $20 a month for unlimited calling, and unlimited Amazon ecosystem data. Not entirely different than the kindle 3G whispernet they've been doing for years.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Prime Data

It will also be interesting to see if "Amazon Prime" subscribers are able to stream any of their content (music, video, etc.) with the related data being exempt from metering/caps...

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx

Good For Them

I won't be a customer. I despise AT&T and refuse to do business with them. Frankly I think Amazon is shooting themselves in the foot but that is their decision. When the phone flops, they'll blame it on the market instead of AT&T.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

From What I See

This is the culmination of everything wrong with the current state of technology.

robbyglack
@67.176.23.x

robbyglack

Anon

can we drop the data plan?

the only way i may find 'prime data' interesting is if the regular data plan could be dropped all together and we can just take amazon only for a cheap monthly rate. but the idea of paying to bypass a data plan i am already paying for just does sit well with me.

i actually liked the way data worked on the original kindles. i had one and actually used it for free web browsing traveling around the world. and while not great it worked. lets see how this works, but i fear it will not be near as interesting as the old kindle data.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Apparently Amazon didn't learn anything from the Facebook Phone.

Dead on arrival.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl

They do it because the carrier will give them free marketing support.

Brick and mortar stores are still the #1 way people shop for phones in this country, and for a less popular phone brand, the only way they can get into carrier stores is by making carrier-exclusive models.

For bigger phone brands like iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and HTC One, the carriers want to offer those phones, so they don't have to be exclusive. Even so, they often offer carrier-exclusive colors or radio bands to differentiate.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

We as consumers can make this product and data model fail. This sets a very dangerous precedent. The Facebook phone failed despite the hype. Hopefully, nobody outside the AT&T/Amazon echo chamber wants this.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to tpkatl

to tpkatl

It's the extra payola or more favorable terms to the supplier, in exchange for the largely perceived differentiation a new device brings to carriers. IMO, it's a method for carriers to 'compete' with each other, without actually having to do anything.

My company offers deeply imbedded software customizations to smartphones. All the carriers we've had discussions with included either a mention, or outright pursuit of some sort of 'exclusivity'. These are non-US carriers, the US carriers are still ignoring us.

I agree with the notion the worst part of this is the precedent it is setting- granting carriers power over the content.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

2 recommendations

78036364 (banned) to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan

Re: If you don't like it, don't buy it.

CAN'T buy it. Amazon refuses to sell it on my carrier of choice.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour

Re: Don't Use Either

SBC Wireless?

biotech
@66.249.113.x

biotech

Anon

Shouldn't that be Cingular Wireless d/b/a AT&T Mobility LLC. ?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

HA!

Crappy phone on a crappy provider. Made for each other.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to SunnyD

to SunnyD

Re: Apparently Amazon didn't learn anything from the Facebook Phone.

How long did that take to flame out?

robbyglack
@50.243.146.x

robbyglack to nfotiu

Anon

to nfotiu

said by nfotiu:

Normally, I'd agree with you. However, I suspect that Amazon is taking a different approach at differentiating themselves in the phone game. Their killer feature may well be a packaged, heavily subsidized AT&T plan sold through Amazon. ie, it seems possible they could offer something $20 a month for unlimited calling, and unlimited Amazon ecosystem data. Not entirely different than the kindle 3G whispernet they've been doing for years.

i would go for something like that, but if lots of people bought these strictly for the $20 unlimited calling and never bought anything form amazon could the model survive? i am kind of person who might buy into a deal like that and use the phone for all my calls and whatever else i could do without paying and than carry a second android or ios phone with a cheap data only SIM.

a few years ago i traveled world using whispernet browsing and it was great the alternative would have been no mobile data i was not about to pay the high roaming fees of the day. i am really interested to see what launches tomorrow.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to ArrayList

to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

SBC Wireless?

AT&T is just a new name for SBC, which bought the name AT&T off the dying long distance carrier as it was being picked apart.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

Dumb idea for dumb people

With so many 'cool' phones why would anyone buy an amazon phone and switch to at&t? I just bought a new phone (galaxy s5) on t-mobile and I love it, btw it comes with an already installed amazon app.

Every phone I see around are either samsung galaxy sx or iPhones and a few HTCs

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Anyone recall a similar situation when the iPhone was released? Any lessons learned? Seems like that worked out just fine...
It more seems a marketing ploy to drum up demand (exclusive!) and I'm sure ATT has some 'incentives' (kickbacks!) in play.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Ego?

Who does Amazon think they are, Apple? You can't sell your new phone using only AT&T as the carrier, unless you have an iPhone to sell in a market full of flip phones, Blackberries, and crummy PDAs.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to KoolMoe

to KoolMoe

Different situations entirely.

I don't mind the AT&T exclusive. It's this "prime data" that sets a dangerous precedent.

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

said by ArrayList:

SBC Wireless?

AT&T is just a new name for SBC, which bought the name AT&T off the dying long distance carrier as it was being picked apart.

It's a little more convoluted than that, but that's essentially correct.

The thing that currently calls itself "at&t" certainly isn't the AT&T I once knew. Then again, as you noted: By the time SBC acquired the tattered remains of that once great company, much of the AT&T I once knew was already gone, anyway.

Jim
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

Kindle Plus

I'm pretty sure Amazon already has a deal in place for Kindle WhisperNet with AT&T. Makes sense that they would extend it to cover a branded smartphone.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl

Possibly for the same reason we see non in house exclusives in the video game industry, Money changed hands.

In gaming its not totally uncommon to see a company release exclusive to the PS3/4, Nintendo or Xbox 360/One. Even if they are a third party, If the game gets lots of money from one of the console firms its an exclusive. I bet Amazon got a bunch of greenbacks from AT&T.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to jseymour

to jseymour

Yes, you're right. I was thinking of the old AT&T Wireless name, which was just licensed from AT&T and was allowed to fade away after the former AT&T Wireless was bought by Cingular. When AT&T (the long distance company) was on its deathbed, SBC bought it up, including the name. At that point, I don't think there was much left of it. I remember many people saying that keeping that name was going to be bad for SBC, since AT&T was a much-hated company in American culture, but I guess it worked out. Now, SBC/AT&T is again a much-hated company, which may have been what they were going for all along.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
Or for those of us who grew up in Connecticut... AT&T is just a new name for SNET. Sad thing is SNET was a better company before it got borged by SBC.

jseymour
Waterford, MI

jseymour to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
said by ISurfTooMuch:

When AT&T (the long distance company) was on its deathbed, SBC bought it up, including the name. ... I remember many people saying that keeping that name was going to be bad for SBC, since AT&T was a much-hated company in American culture, ...

AT&T hated? I think that was myth more than fact. Most TeleCom professionals, in particular, liked working with AT&T. I know I did. In TelCom rag surveys, AT&T used to rank at the very top, time-after-time.

SBC, tho... everybody hated SBC. Including me. Maybe even especially me. The stories I could tell you about SBC... The thing that currently calls itself "at&t" has absolutely zero chance to ever get my employer's business ever again--unless all other options simply disappear. (In which case, were it me, I'd flippin' move.)

Of all the companies and service providers with which I've ever dealt, both professionally and privately, regardless of product or service, SBC was, without question, far and away absolutely the worst experience, bar none. I dislike SBC so much, I'd actually think about doing without wireless before I'd use them.

They are so bad, in my view, I'm actually mildly offended they're sullying the AT&T name.

Jim
page: 1 · 2 · next