dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-19 08:46:31: Former FCC Commissioner Michael Copps has been making the rounds supporting the reclassification of ISPs as common carriers. ..

Static4067
@67.211.160.x

1 recommendation

Static4067

Anon

Hindsight is 20\20

It's amazing, all these officials have their epiphany once they get the "Formal" title and the bribes...cough..lobbyist stop rolling in.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy

MVM

Re: Hindsight is 20\20

I was thinking pretty much along the same lines. If is it such a good idea, why didn't you do it when you were able?

Not saying that I'm for or against it, but things need to change and if that is the only way, then so be it. It seems that when the ISPs are threatened with becoming common carriers we have their attention.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

IT needs to change when dial-up was the norm we had all shorts of providers competing but know there is no competition in a lot of places.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

2 recommendations

n2jtx to Static4067

to Static4067
Agreed. They couldn't be bothered to do a damn thing while they were in a position to something. But once the lobbyists stop calling and the money dries up, suddenly they see the light and complain. All I would say is "you want to know what the problem is? Look in the mirror".

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

It needs to change when dial-up was the norm we had all shorts of providers competing but now in most places there is none. A over blinder if your lucky.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

1 recommendation

Packeteers to Static4067

Premium Member

to Static4067
actually Copps was the only dissenting vote against the Comcast:NBC merger, and he's not working during retirement for the industry he formally regulated, so he's probably the last "honest" FCC official familiar with the issues before the FCC today.
elizabeth4
join:2010-07-23

elizabeth4

I think Karl has it wrong. He may have misread the article.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Static4067

to Static4067
Hindsight nothing.

It was said back then that there were so many loops holes in the 96 act it would never do anything to improve our status.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

Then I would ask,

"And what did you do to change it, Mr. Copps?"

Just now in 2014 he realizes this and the FCC's image is that of policeman eating a donut rather than catching the crooked cable companies so then who can we trust to make it all better?

Not without some serious reform on the FCC's political power and congressional lobbying will we see a change in our broadband industry.

EDIT: first commenter beat me to it.

Yes
@50.182.54.x

Yes

Anon

Re: Then I would ask,

said by MDA:

"And what did you do to change it, Mr. Copps?"

Just now in 2014 he realizes this and the FCC's image is that of policeman eating a donut rather than catching the crooked cable companies so then who can we trust to make it all better?

Not without some serious reform on the FCC's political power and congressional lobbying will we see a change in our broadband industry.

EDIT: first commenter beat me to it.

The FCC dances to the tune of its masters - and that is Congress. And who elects Congress - the People. So, we got what we wanted. Don't like that? Then vote in new elected officials.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

If only it was all that simple.

MoMonyMoVote
@74.103.38.x

3 recommendations

MoMonyMoVote to Yes

Anon

to Yes
said by Yes :

And who elects Congress - the People. So, we got what we wanted.

Uh, no. The people get to chose from candidates already vetted and controlled by large money interests.

Thanks for believing the idea that we have a democracy though.

Republic
@50.182.54.x

1 recommendation

Republic

Anon

said by MoMonyMoVote :

said by Yes :

And who elects Congress - the People. So, we got what we wanted.

Uh, no. The people get to chose from candidates already vetted and controlled by large money interests.

The US was never a democracy. It is a republic. And it was a republic founded by the upper classes.and has remained so ever since. There are 3rd party candidates every election. Why don't they get votes? Because people are happy with the system as is - where they get to pick from a couple choices pre-chosen for them by those who are educated and actually care about something other than reality TV shows.
»www.lexrex.com/enlighten ··· rep.html
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

3 recommendations

AmericanMan to MoMonyMoVote

Premium Member

to MoMonyMoVote
said by MoMonyMoVote :

This. A thousand times this.

It's gotten to the point where I just go in on Election Day, throw my vote away on whatever Third Party doesn't have a chance this election, then drive home.

And I don't even know if I'd do that much if it wasn't for the "well if you don't vote you can't complain" crowd

guru154
@76.100.96.x

guru154

Anon

Let's be fair...

Let's not forget there are five members of the FCC. When he was Commissioner, Michael Copps was the most vocal, most steadfast voice in favor of competition and being more proactive in terms of broadband in the U.S.
He hasn't really changed his tune, he's just less fettered by the restrictions of his office now.

No
@50.182.54.x

No

Anon

Re: Let's be fair...

said by guru154 :

Let's not forget there are five members of the FCC. When he was Commissioner, Michael Copps was the most vocal, most steadfast voice in favor of competition and being more proactive in terms of broadband in the U.S.
He hasn't really changed his tune, he's just less fettered by the restrictions of his office now.

He talked A LOT when he was in office, but he did NOTHING. Even when he was temporary Chairman of FCC, he did nothing. Now he is trying get to rewrite history, making it look like he was anything more than a BS artist.
undergod1
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Rego Park, NY

undergod1

Premium Member

Too busy helping other countries to help oursleves

If we would pay more attention to Domestic issues instead of trying to solve the whole worlds issues and if we curbed the monopolies that the ISP's have we may be able to gain some ground. Government needs to get out of the wrong places and into the right places. Americans as a whole have become too complacent. I admit i fall into that category as well.
rfrooney
join:2006-02-26
Antioch, TN

1 edit

1 recommendation

rfrooney

More proof

American politicians are the best money can buy. Their soul, if they had one, is always for sale to the highest bidder.

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

Re: More proof

It' more than that.... It's politicians who think to let the "markets work it out", OR have the mentality of "zero government interference" are the problem here..

Currently in the House, the Republicans are the majority, and they will absolutely not hear about any government intervention. It doesn't matter how bad it gets, they will no raise a finger to help consumers.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Nothing to be ashamed of

Competition worked.
The MSO competed and won.

Telco is coming around.

Copps and other pols ignore geography and real-world economics.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578

In Copps' defense

As a Republican and a Conservative, I don't often find myself defending Michael Copps, BUT . . .

It should be noted that for most of his tenure, he was in the minority party while at the FCC (2001-08 under the Bush Administration, only 2009 under the Obama Administration), so even if he had wanted to reclassify ISPs as common carriers, he would have faced three dissenting votes from Republican Commissioners, meaning such an effort would have gotten nowhere.

OTOH, he was actually temporary, acting Chairman of the FCC for awhile early in the Obama Administration, while the Senate was approving the nomination of Julius Genachowski. So, theoretically he could have reclassified ISPs as common carriers during that short six-month window, but NOTHING gets done at the FCC in six months.

Even if he'd started the effort, then let Julius take over, I'm not sure the Democratic Commissioners would have had the stomach for a reclassification fight, even being the majority party.