spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-19 10:24:51: T-Mobile last night held a PR event to unveil the company's latest salvo in their "uncarrier" marketing campaign. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

MDA

join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN

All this progress for a rumored Sprint merger?

Naaaaaah, I mean regulators would have to be completely blind for that to happen... oh wait...

Oligopoly

@50.182.54.x

3 recommendations

People like limited choices; if it saves them money

People like to have choices - but a limited number of choices. Unlimited choice is a THEORY; but a theory that has few proponents. Most people like to be part of the mob and don't want to sign on to services few people belong to. So, when offered a deal like cap free music to be part of a popular service, most people are more than happy to take part. Only academics get all excited about dozens of services vying for customer acceptance. Most customers are more than happy with a few choices. Oligopoly is the natural state of things.

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

Exempting music service from caps - good intent, bad in principle

If we learn anything from Chile's efforts to enact responsible net neutrality
it's that it isn't OK to violate NN, even if it's to give us stuff we want.

Non-capping services also serves to legitimize caps, which isn't in consumers' best interest anyway.

A better move for T-Mobile would be to put subscriber fees into expected network upgrades and get rid of caps altogether.
--
Campaign contributions influence laws through a process called bribery.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

Problematic? Not Necessarily

quote:
T-Mobile's implementation remains problematic in that it still gives the biggest music streaming services a leg up against their smaller competitors, something that is sure to raise net neutrality hackles. While T-Mobile's trying to be disruptive here, it could set a very dangerous precedent.

T-Mobile hasn't stated they won't expand the plan to more than the current top six. One suspects they're choosing the current top six for the sake of getting the program launched.

But if they do chop sources off at the current top six: Yeah, I'm not so sure this is a Good Idea.

Jim

Noah Vail
Son made my Avatar
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

reply to Oligopoly

Re: People like limited choices; if it saves them money

said by Oligopoly :

Unlimited choice is a THEORY

Who's asking for unlimited choice?
Folks are asking that their choices not be curtailed, not even if it supports some corporate entitlement mentality.
--
Campaign contributions influence laws through a process called bribery.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Bogus Caps

Another creative attack on network neutrality. Pay more and we will ignore data caps on certain services and we get to decide which services qualify.

quote:
The company stated that they'll make a continuous list of the top six streaming music services, and exempt those services from a user's data allowance if the use is paying at least $50 per month.
/tom

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to jseymour

Re: Problematic? Not Necessarily

Choice would be not even wanting it.

I might be paying another service I prefer for all TMO knows.

I turned down At Bat (free) I already subscribe to MLB on the Roku, and At Bat comes with it. Plus I can get more than just the free game of the day.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Oligopoly

this is completely lost on the DSLR crew, and I 100% agree with you.

The father of optimization is constraints.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to jseymour

Re: Problematic? Not Necessarily

It doesn't matter if it is the top 6 or the top 100, it is still crossing a line that should not be crossed.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

What if they eventually make it "the top every last one of 'em?"

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Doesn't matter if every single music service is included. What about websites, flash videos,games, video.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to Oligopoly

Also it is proven that the more choices a person has the more confused they get. Go to your local Fast food joint and see how long a person tries to make a choice- when the menu hardly ever changes.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

I Like it

As a T-Mobile customer, I like it. I stream a lot of Slacker when I can (at work, on the way home, etc) and like it won't affect my data.

It's not really a net neutrality thing as anyone can work with T-Mobile on this. And it won't slow other data down - it simply counts towards your cap.

From the FAQ: »www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-musi···ing.html

quote:
Will you add more streaming providers over time?
Absolutely! And we want to hear from you! Who do you think we should add next? Vote at #MusicFreedom and be heard!

Can any streaming services ask to become part of Music Freedom?
Yes. Any lawful and licensed streaming music service can work with us for inclusion in this offer, which is designed to benefit all of our Simple Choice customers. Click here, send us an email and we’ll get back to you to begin the process.
While we don't know the terms - it is a good thing, IMHO.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ITGeeks

said by ITGeeks:

Also it is proven that the more choices a person has the more confused they get. Go to your local Fast food joint and see how long a person tries to make a choice- when the menu hardly ever changes.

Have you ever been behind a gaggle of kids at those new Coke machines?

You might as well go eat your lunch and go home. Cause you're never getting a drink...

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Interesting twist

Data doesn't count towards your cap, because there is no cap. Data is unlimited on T-Mobile. It counts towards your high speed cap. Another interesting point is that streaming music works fine on Edge, so it doesn't even need to use high speed data in the first place.

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

1 recommendation

reply to itguy05

Re: I Like it

said by itguy05:

It's not really a net neutrality thing as anyone can work with T-Mobile on this. And it won't slow other data down - it simply counts towards your cap.

While my daughter would love this (if we were a T-Mobile customer), it DOES relate to net neutrality since newer music streaming services won't get the same treatment as the bigger incumbents. It hinders new players from entering the market and lets the "big 6" rule the nest.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

2 recommendations

reply to karpodiem

You know, the Red Chinese have a similar viewpoint on how to run things.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to ctaranto

said by ctaranto:

it DOES relate to net neutrality since newer music streaming services won't get the same treatment as the bigger incumbents. It hinders new players from entering the market and lets the "big 6" rule the nest.

They seem to be opening it up to whoever wants to be part of it. So it seems that if it were important to a company they could participate. Now I don't know what the terms are and if payment is required or what. But if it's simply - sign up and send us a list of your IP's then there is no issue.

clone

join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN
reply to amarryat

Re: Interesting twist

Yes. Effectively T-Mobile is giving their highest-tiered customers something that they already get without realizing it and passing it off as a new feature. Although, in theory, I sort of agree with the concept, although it should be net-neutral in it's implementation.

For example, if we can't have unlimited data, I have an innovative way to provide tiered data while still being fair: only count mobile data usage against the cap when it goes over a certain speed threshold.

Let's say 256kbps, you can stream and buffer any music you want as much as you want, check email, send instant messages, all without affecting your cap. All of the low rate things you do on the phone are free. The cap only counts for large downloads where the rate peaks above 256kbps, streaming video, file/application downloads, system updates, etc. I'd sign up for that...

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

Not cool

I have had Rhapsody for ages. It's good stuff. This is, however, a completely wrong move.

I also have a program called Subsonic. Google it.
I can stream *anything* from my home PC to my phone. Despite the best efforts of the music services, there are still vast swaths of music that don't exist on ANY of them. Even then, sometimes, I prefer my own higher quality files, even if the stream is compressed (.ogg) - it's usually higher quality than Rhapsody.

This is simply a BAD move. If I were a T-Mobile customer, I wouldn't be that thrilled.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

Firing on all cylinders...

T-Mobile is kicking ass. It's pretty remarkable what 3 Billion in Cash and 1 Billion in Spectrum from AT&T will do.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Noah Vail

Re: Exempting music service from caps - good intent, bad in principle

I agree, the intent was probably "good" but its definitely an encroached on the fundamental principals of net neutrality. If they had implemented such that it was based off protocol(s) vs per-identified providers I think this would have avoided the issue.

The one good thing for everyone, not just T-Mobile customers, is this should keep net neutrality in the right peoples discussions.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ke4pym

+1 I head straight for the iced tea and by the time I'm done eating the kids show up No s**t.

To me it's like Win7 (old coke)-> Win8 (new coke). 3 steps to get something done versus 1 and you need to bring up help to figure it out. So now it takes 1-2 minutes versus 5 seconds and now software and new single failure points. Progress.

I don't see how taking the top 6 and excluding them from cap is a problem IF they do it by bandwidth ranking versus say AT&T bend over a pay me twice plan. That is adding MORE value. In my mobile usage over 70% of it is music. So that would free up to use other rich services where I may pass over (youtube, Netflix, etc) to keep my cap low.

There will be a new classes of curation services coming out because people need limited choice because we are analog. I heard the limitation of humans is about 12, and those who are unpracticed no more than 6. Sure they are border conditions, but unless the device or service does not do it for you, we are simply analog beings until we get implants or the like--aka borg.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to itguy05

I get the impression it is pretty straightforward. Ask to join and we will add you. The current voting underway looks to me like those companies have not reached out to T-Mobile, but T-Mobile will reach out to them if customers want.

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state

So I guess this is the turning point...

Where T-Mobile stopped being the "Good Guy Greg" of the US cellular industry.

A pity, that.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to amungus

Re: Not cool

Rhapsody is a partner now (good move for them, since Sprint has Spotify and At&t has Beats) but free music streaming applies to everyone who participates, not just Rhapsody.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Firing on all cylinders...

said by IPPlanMan:

T-Mobile is kicking ass. It's pretty remarkable what 3 Billion in Cash and 1 Billion in Spectrum from AT&T will do.

I agree, how ever there are a ton of sprint lovers who want T-Mobile to go away in this deal. I really hope that T-Mobile doesn't get taken over, but it seems like there are more than I thought out there who want it to happen.

All I have to say is they better block this like they did the AT&T deal or AT&T should sue, but I know they won't because they fear T-Mobile a lot more than sprint.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to IPPlanMan

said by IPPlanMan:

It's pretty remarkable what 3 Billion in Cash and 1 Billion in Spectrum from AT&T will do.

Add in the fact that their intent is to be sold.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to amungus

Re: Not cool

Well now you have the CHOICE to continue using data as you always have, or augment with another "inferior" service which doesn't count. I use Plex for my collection, but I also use spotify, amazon, and pandora. So if those last three are "free" that allows me to repurpose that data for other things. I wouldn't stop using Plex, maybe would use it MORE because my other services now don't count...

Unfortunately where I live, TMO data coverage is fringe, so that is not a realistic option, however the kids phones are on TMO MVNO which are dirt cheap..Voice works just fine.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

Move Could Threaten Net Neutrality...

"Move Could Threaten Net Neutrality...but it's okay! It is T-Mobile. If AT&T was the one doing this, people would freak.

But..I'll take an Iphone for a week for free. Why wouldnt I want to use a "kick ass" network of 2G service for a week?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts