spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-19 14:23:37: Police in New York, San Francisco and London claim they've seen a dip in smartphone thefts, something police are claiming is courtesy of a new push for "kill switch" technology that can render a phone useless if stolen. NY Attorney General Eric T. ..

Flyonthewall

@206.248.154.x

Maybe people stopped being so stupid

After all, once you have a phone stolen you tend to wisen up and pay more attention to your belongings. You lock your phone with a password, you keep an eye on it, you don't just leave it alone.

That alone would reduce thefts. Old customer not buying phones cause they know they are flakes that can't be attentive, newer customers that are.

fiosultimate

join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

IPhone

Its OK , they are just IPhones, maybe now the owners can upgrade to a real smartphone,like a Samsung

pumpkinhead7

join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV
A real smartphone wouldnt have needed to steal every innovation (not gimmick) from apple

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
Hmm Xerox...

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

Big deal

How about filing a brief to stop the Time Warner/Comcast merger in New York State? Apparently according to NY law it can be blocked in the State. Do something that would really help the people you represent.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by rit56:

Apparently according to NY law it can be blocked in the State.

Maybe, unless you consider interstate commerce.
NY may not have the rights it thinks it does, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

RichInCT

@198.228.200.x

1 recommendation

Kill switch blues

Just wait until hackers find a way to trigger these kill switches. Better yet, wait until the Gov decides to start triggering them. Either or both scenarios are sure to happen.

I don't want a remote kill switch in my phone. I'm responsible enough to protect my stuff. Then again, I don't use an iPhone either.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Hackers, domestic dispute or clerical error, someone will sue if they are shut off, or if somebody else isn't.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Flyonthewall

Re: Maybe people stopped being so stupid

You could also purchase theft insurance.

A friend just had her phone stolen. They can track it down to the apartment (find my iphone) but the police refuse to get the phone.

So I would say that the tech is good, but law enforcement has not caught up to the times, and is letting these criminals roam free.

Here in NY if you go any try to get back your phone YOU can be prosecuted. So let the police do nothing: you lose. You do something: You lose.

So its not just tech that needs to be improved, but recovery...

LoJack works for cars. Maybe the police charge $200 for recovery... Whatever, but the knucklehead who lost it is at fault unless it is strongarm.

mab349

join:2004-03-25
Brea, CA
reply to Subaru

Re: IPhone

You should read this article from the LA Times or this one from Stanford.

»latimesblogs.latimes.com/technol···arc.html

»www-sul.stanford.edu/mac/parc.html

mab349

join:2004-03-25
Brea, CA
reply to RichInCT

Re: Kill switch blues

I agree that it has the potential to be abused, but I still think it needs implementation. The only one that should have access to the kill switch is the end user similar to how Apple's system is.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to Flyonthewall

Re: Maybe people stopped being so stupid

Before iOS 7 pass code meant nothing.
All you had to do is put iphone into recovery mode restore and bam no lock.

IOS 7 fixed. There is many people on internet wanting to ise stolen phones and they cant. Its a win for us!

Flyonthewall

@206.248.154.x
reply to RichInCT

I'm sure government and law enforcement would use kill switches in their arsenal (interesting that arse is in that word). Terrorist giving you grief, shut off their cellular comms...

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to RichInCT
We can't be paralyzed by fear. Its a smart thing to do. Its not permanent and its opt-in so if it gets hacked it will just get unhacked.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to tshirt

Re: Big deal

Sure it does mister industry cheerleader. There's also NYC cable franchise agreements.

Trimox

join:2012-09-24
Anywhere
reply to tshirt

You are missing the point of when someone turns your phone off. Whether it is when you want to stream your favorite video (hacker kills it), or alert your friend that you see a boat load of armed troops crossing the road (gov kills it, lets hope I don't have to wait for someone sue on that one). If you are willing to give either of these scenarios any chance to happen, that is your prerogative. Will these happen, most likely not. Can I protect my own property and not let the previous even be an option, Damn right.

As far protecting property you can only go so far. If someone wants your car they will get it. Should we put explosives in cars, so when stolen you can "kill" them? Might cause a few problems. Protect what you have as much as you can. Don't think someone can do it better than you.

RichInCT

@24.2.225.x
reply to dnoyeB
If it's not permanent than how is it useful? Couldn't someone steal your phone and just factory reset or reflash it?

jhacker

join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL

My new S5 has the 'kill switch'

The Galaxy S5 I bought yesterday from US Cellular has the 'reactivation lock'. It says that only the original owner can restore the phone when they put in the password to their Samsung account. I wonder how long it will be before it's hacked.