dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-20 16:19:23: Contrary to some early reports, Amazon's new Fire Phone didn't embrace AT&T's controversial idea of letting some companies pay to bypass user caps, though Amazon remains open to the idea. ..

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev

Anon

Deathstar

Ignoring video for a moment -- going to be a little difficult to overcome magenta's unlimited streaming push going the exact opposite direction, no?

Furthermore, judging from the fact Disney/ESPN has a fresh spot on the new iTunes Radio platform, it is now 100.1% unlikely they will EVER agree to pay the "800 Data" troll tolls in the first place.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Given that it is a phone...

... how could anyone complain if they(Mega Corp) choose to pay for the "call" to send data to it? as long as the end user and sender agree even over the end users wifi is OK too.
I'd be a lot more worried about being spammed to death, if I signed up for one of their offers.

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

Kuro

Anon

There is no way this would include video

If this included video wouldn't that prove that streaming isn't a major issue?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat to ev

Premium Member

to ev

Re: Deathstar

Fu-k AT&T

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Kuro

Premium Member

to Kuro

Re: There is no way this would include video

Streaming doesn't have to be an issue, as long as SOMEONE pays for it. they'll be happy to add as many cells as it takes, if you show them the money.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to Kuro

Anon

to Kuro
Multicast tuned correctly would absolutely mitigate saturation issues -- audio and especially video. Ma and Pa Bells just want $$$ to be relayed.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Cost

I don't think Amazon can handle the costs associated with it, especially for Prime Video. Even if they were pay 5-10 cents on the dollar of what a consumer pays, the price would still be too high!

robbyglack
@50.243.146.x

robbyglack

Anon

the price? how can there be any rational conversation without that part

i have read hundreds of posts concerning at&t's sponsored data and not a single one has given any indication of what sort of cost at&t will pass on for this service. am i the only one who thinks that is an extremely important part of any conversation. at&t likes to compare 'sponsored data' to toll free number. it's important to remember that toll free number are a legacy service from a bygone era. when they started out they often were connected to discount 'watts' lines and the 1-800 number owners paid a discount compared to a consumer paying regular long distance rates. today toll-free rates are typically far higher than cheap discount long distance services. i highly doubt that if toll-free numbers were introduced today with today pricing they would catch on.

i really want to know what at&t intends to charge per GB to 'sponsored data' customers.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: Given that it is a phone...

Because people always oppose progress, this is the way things are going and people are afraid of the unknown(change)

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

2 recommendations

Dominokat

Premium Member

Bull shit.
People like progress.
Corporations don't. It means that would have to adapt. They don't want to.
So they are throwing every penny they have at our government, to keep things "status quo." Ie: don't allow technology to progress ahead of us.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate

Remember the horse and buggy?,some people still prefer that over an automobile, it takes all kinds
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to robbyglack

to robbyglack

Re: the price? how can there be any rational conversation without that part

And in the end, no matter how you slice it, dice it, disguise it, bury it, quantify it, sell it or fabricate new versions of the truth about it, the customer will always pay for it.

Remember when any mobile voice call was crazy expensive like a pre-1996 intra-state + intraLATA call? Now voice is unlimited and the new meth is data. Carriers are doing everything possible to never let go of the last hook consumers swallowed.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to ev

Premium Member

to ev

said by ev :

Ignoring video for a moment -- going to be a little difficult to overcome magenta's unlimited streaming push going the exact opposite direction, no?

Exact opposite direction? Seems it's in the same direction, just without any money changing hands.
openbox9

openbox9 to ev

Premium Member

to ev

For broadcast content yes, but how does multicast help multiple individual streams?

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev

Anon

How many 32/64kbps streams would it take to max out a 20x20mhz LTE site sector with proper fiber backhaul?
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

mob (banned) to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate

Do you know how many companies fought the arrival of the automobile? You seem to have extremely selective memory that is tilted to only seeing what your paymasters tell you pay to remember.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to ev

Premium Member

to ev

I don't know, but what does that have to do with multicast?

Flyonthewall
@206.248.154.x

Flyonthewall

Anon

Depends on how it's implemented

If it causes content rates to rise, then everyones bill takes a hit, even those who never stream over the phone..doesn't seem fair to me to me to make non-AT&T users pay for this. This is where charging users based on usage makes sense. But only in so far as it actually COSTS to stream. Which I'm pretty sure is cheap, not the major bucks they gouge for the service.

Send this idea back to the lab and work it over again.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to fiosultimate

Premium Member

to fiosultimate

I would not call a cap free lane progress, Its more a method to prevent progress.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to openbox9

Anon

to openbox9

If T expects ESPN to pay a premium to reach ears and eyeballs sans caps and overages, wouldn't you think they'd want to maximize that investment by demanding T have proper LTE Multicast support? The on-demand long tail is absolutely nothing compared to the big LIVE dog.
ev

ev to openbox9

Anon

to openbox9

What exactly are you trying to say? TMUS's "just without any money changing hands" is clearly a different business direction versus "bilking the consumer AND the content creator"
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

I'm talking about working "deals" with content distributors to help consumers minimize potential issues with caps.
openbox9

openbox9 to ev

Premium Member

to ev

So you are talking about a live, multicast stream. Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you were discussing.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to tshirt

to tshirt
People already pay for it in their monthly fees. This is some extra thing on top of that.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Clearly, AT&T wants to be shown MORE money, lol.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ev

Premium Member

to ev

Disney would not agree to a troll toll unless they could be assured it would be exclusive to them.

Meaning only they would get access to the cap free zone just so they could advertising you can watch ESPN on your mobile with no overage fees.

The thing is no smart wireless operator would allow themselves to be only allowed one content owner.
Kearnstd

Kearnstd to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

Re: the price? how can there be any rational conversation without that part

Ahh yes the early cell phones, Soon voice became unlimited when the crack was called Texting. Then data came and text became unlimited.

And now they have found out that they the dealer can make the drug lords(the content owners) Pay them to be their middle man rather than the dealer paying the drug lord.

Intra-state calls aka in state long distance had to be one of the biggest scams designed solely to rip off customers ever invented by the telecom industry. I remember hearing people fighting LD charges because the neighbor across the street was technically just over that magical bill you more line.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

I remember dating the kids mom while she was still in college. We were about 100 miles apart. I believe that was an intra-state, inter-LATA call. (The old GTE provided her service area and mine was Southwestern Bell.) Sunday through Thursday we'd talk for about an hour a night. Many times the bill was over $300/month.
Goldman
join:2002-06-21
Maumelle, AR

Goldman to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate

An AT&T run internet is not progress. They'll block anything and everything they want, an will do it better than any official government agency ever could.