dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-23 12:08:55: Last year, buyers who shelled out $1450 for the Google Chromebook Pixel were promised two years of 100 MB free LTE data per month, courtesy of Verizon. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave

MVM

Fact Check Turned Off?

Verizon funny math, or buyers remorse for paying $1450 bucks for a Google device????

robbyglack
@50.243.146.x

robbyglack

Anon

what ?

100MB is nothing. this makes no sense. verizon takes a PR hit for somehting that i am sure costs them very little.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Where was this promo advertised?

If it was on a Web site, then archive.org should have grabbed a copy.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

for those of you who are verizon customers you know their billing systems are about as bad as it gets and many times the agents cant help.

Google Play - They are in a league of idiots...Google's customer service is like the keystone cops. I went through two generations of broken phones--no more.. The only good thing is that you can actually get a bogus app reversed on your account past the remorse window.

Im sure the 10 people that bought one it would cost Verizon practically nothing, but if I had a dollar for billing and feature mess ups I would actually have a reasonable bill

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to robbyglack

Mod

to robbyglack

Re: what ?

email for grandma

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Where was this promo advertised?

Everywhere:

»www.geek.com/mobile/chro ··· 1543973/

»www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 13-03-26

Etc.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

I smell a lawsuit coming

Class action anyone?

Oh wait, SCOTUS blocked that from happening.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

Class action anyone?

Oh wait, SCOTUS blocked that from happening.

Those poor poor lawyers.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

4 recommendations

Skippy25 to robbyglack

to robbyglack

The stupidity of corporate greed knows no bounds.

Someguy
@24.191.123.x

Someguy

Anon

Bandwidth

The problem with being forced to carry additional channels are part of the bundle is bandwidth usage. That bandwidth could be better use by more desired channels and/or video on demand or internet services.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

2 recommendations

ropeguru to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

Re: I smell a lawsuit coming

That is kind of a good thing. Imagine the time Verizon lawyers will have to put in for thousands of individual cases. Much harder than a single class action.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

2 recommendations

ssavoy to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike

Once per month ever since she set her Gmail theme to a 99MB tiff photo of the grandkids

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave

Re: Fact Check Turned Off?

everyone I know that keeps their chromebook is happy with it.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

IPPlanMan

You unlimited people...

It's things like this that make me hope that the Unlimited Data people cost Verizon as much money as possible.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to robbyglack

Premium Member

to robbyglack

Yeah I agree -- when you're talking in terms of gigabytes and at good LTE speed -- 100 MB should be viewed as little more than a rounding error.

If it wasn't for Verizon's monopoly, they would've probably been more hesitant to do something like this. As it stands though, if you get mad about something like this, who are you going to switch to? If you have Verizon it's probably because you're either locked in a contract or they are the best provider in your area.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: You unlimited people...

If I was a Verizon customer affected by this, I would drop them like a hot potato. Maybe even if I wasn't affected by it.
grabacon9
join:2013-08-21
Newark, OH

grabacon9

100mb is a rip off.

Does Verizon even know what 100mb is? Stupid they are.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

2 recommendations

kontos to ropeguru

to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

That is kind of a good thing. Imagine the time Verizon lawyers will have to put in for thousands of individual cases. Much harder than a single class action.

Yeah, I bet thousands of individuals are lining up to pay five figure lawyer bills in order to sue VZ for three figure damages done.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev to AmericanMan

Anon

to AmericanMan

Is it even possible to use another carrier with these devices without an internal modem swap? Or is it basically locked to VZ by virtue of some soldered-down chipset having just their particular flavor of LTE support?

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Someguy

to Someguy

Re: Bandwidth

said by Someguy :

The problem with being forced to carry additional channels are part of the bundle is bandwidth usage. That bandwidth could be better use by more desired channels and/or video on demand or internet services.

Makes no sense.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to kontos

to kontos

If you are so cheap that you take the 100Mb free option then I'm pretty sure you are to cheap to pay for that first visit to a lawyer.
battleop

battleop to timcuth

to timcuth

Re: You unlimited people...

If you were a Verizon customer affected by this Verizon would have dropped you like a hot potato.
battleop

battleop to Someguy

to Someguy

Are you replying to the correct thread?

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm to battleop

to battleop

said by battleop:

If you are so cheap that you take the 100Mb free option then I'm pretty sure you are to [sic] cheap to pay for that first visit to a lawyer.

Or you're financially responsible enough to not pay for more than what you need.

battleop

battleop

"are to [sic] cheap"

Damn, your Nazi grammar skills got me. I'm glad you found the real issue in my post.

norm
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

The real problem with your post is that you equate people not purchasing more than what they need as being cheap. If Verizon does not rectify the issue, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these "cheap" people take up legal arms.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to battleop

to battleop

verizon and the precocious data

battleop

battleop to norm

to norm

Really, Who uses 100Mb / month today? It was a FREE tier and now people are bitching at Verizon because they are not getting something for Free. They need to bitch at Google who sold the Chrome books and not Verizon.
battleop

battleop to firedrakes

to firedrakes

Is it national make no sense in a thread day?

norm
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

norm to battleop

to battleop

said by battleop:

Really, Who uses 100Mb / month today? It was a FREE tier and now people are bitching at Verizon because they are not getting something for Free. They need to bitch at Google who sold the Chrome books and not Verizon.

Why does it matter how much data someone uses? The point is, people purchased the device with the agreement that there would be a free tier of data for 2 years. The devices have Wi-Fi, they don't need to use mobile data 100% of the time. As the article clearly stated, the 100 MB plan is good enough to get you online in a pinch.

If Verizon agreed to Google's terms in regards to offering the 100 MB data tier for free for two years and then Verizon later reneged on that agreement, how is that not Verizon's problem with its customers AND Google?
page: 1 · 2 · next