spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-25 08:44:00: Earlier this week we noted how Google Chromebook Pixel buyers were told they'd get two years of free LTE data, only to have Verizon forget the deal ever existed after one year. ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Verizon vs Google

What's most striking here is the difference in the way these two companies responded to the issue.

Verizon: Sorry, we don't have any $&@ts left to give.

Google: We'll do what we can do to make it right.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
This action means that Verizon f'd up and doesn't care.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

1 edit

2 recommendations

Absolutely... Here's how it probably went down in the Verizon Meeting:

Verizon Meeting Transcript:
"Tom, we've got some people getting 100MB of free data per month with essentially no impact on our data network or bottom line. What can we do to resolve this issue?"

"Well Dick, we could take it away."

"OK, great meeting guys!"
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
reply to Mike
When has Verizon done something that makes it look like they care?

biotech

@66.249.113.x
2005- Fios.

That's it other than their wireless network (if only 75% of it was controlled by vodafone in the U.K...)

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

1 edit
reply to IPPlanMan
With LTE there needs to be inter carrier compatibility , a device should have the ability to choose T-mobile, ATT or Verizon by default. Verizon and Comcast have the same attitude, we dont care you lousy customer.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to ssavoy
I'm still wondering when Verizon will take away my unlimited Data and texts. I only pay $60 before taxes. But if they take it away I will have no choice but to leave Verizon. While my price will go up with any carrier I switch to, it will at least double with Verizon. I would prefer to stay with Verizion but I don't want to pay double what I'm paying now.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Verizon Confirms It Will Reconnect Data Plans For Chromebook Pixel Owners

Apparently Verizon has relented, probably to ward off the shit-storm backlash that is gaining momentum.

quote:
“We do understand that a very small number of Chromebook Pixel customers may have had a promo end prematurely. We apologize for this, and will work with these customers to address the situation,” said Debra Lewis, a Verizon spokesperson.
»techcrunch.com/2014/06/25/verizo···=twitter

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

1 recommendation

Small number? Why wouldn't it be all of them?

This also says something about how well the Pixel sold.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

3 recommendations

T-Mobile

Hey Google, there is a cell phone company for sale. Maybe you should consider getting into the business in order to prevent these kinds of screw ups for which you have no control. Sell the device and provide the service. It seems like this kind of problem is only going to get worse down the road.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Verizon Confirms It Will Reconnect Data Plans For Chromebook Pixel Owners

said by IPPlanMan:

Small number? Why wouldn't it be all of them?

This also says something about how well the Pixel sold.

Its damage control speak.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Verizon vs Google

Verizon never met a dollar they didn't like.

One of the reasons why I won't buy a device with a locked cellular device in it, because until they support enough LTE bands, your options are limited.

And it seems almost daily that new bands are being introduced... It's bad enough my brain is getting fried with all these antennas, add MIMO and neurosurgeons will be having a renaissance

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to ssavoy
FiOS deployment was futuristic and unprompted. Once the stock holders started bitching because it didn't printing infinity money instantly (because long term investments are for idiots) they stopped.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
Verizon shifted CAPEX from FiOS to wireless, where it was first to market and still leads the market in coverage. Wireless was the next evolutionary step for telcos and consumers demand more mobility. CAPEX will slowly shift back to wired infrastructure as the wireless builds slow. And again, investors do care about sound investing for long term viability of a business.

spike010101
Premium
join:2003-11-28
Lacey, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aaronwt
Doubt they will ever force people off unlimited data. The majority are already on tiered plans and most people give up unlimited when they choose to upgrade. But there are always going to be a small subset that use the transfer upgrade trick to get a new phone at 2yr pricing while retaining unlimited or upgrading another line on the account or paying full price.

othas3

join:2002-07-15
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to IPPlanMan
You left out part of the transcript!

"Tom, we've got some people getting 100MB of free data per month with essentially no impact on our data network or bottom line. What can we do to resolve this issue?"

"Well Dick, we could take it away."

"Well what about our customers who'll feel that we cheated them?"

"Dick, Harry's concerned that we cheated our customers"

"Harry, you're fired!"

"OK, great meeting guys!"

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
reply to n2jtx

Re: T-Mobile

Wow, great suggestion! I hadn't even thought about that possibility. Google would have the dollars to built out the Sprint or T-Mobile LTE networks to be a great competitor to Verizon Wireless and AT&T.

ev

@74.140.91.x
reply to openbox9

Re: Verizon vs Google

So Hells Bells evidently can't walk and chew gum at the same time?? LOL

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

150 cash or play store credit, and is that enough to buy a years worth of da

no, I didn't RTFA

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to n2jtx

Re: T-Mobile

said by n2jtx:

Hey Google, there is a cell phone company for sale. Maybe you should consider getting into the business in order to prevent these kinds of screw ups for which you have no control. Sell the device and provide the service. It seems like this kind of problem is only going to get worse down the road.

If google wanted to buy T-Mobile, that would be fine with me. But then anti-trust would have a fit about a mobile OS maker also owning a service provider. But then again Comcast got away with the same type thing so let's root for google-T-Mobile over Sprint-T-Mobile deal.

Also I saw chrome book owners can sign up for unlimited data. $10 a day for unlimited so about $300 a month VS $375 for 50GB. Looks like those willing to shell out the big bucks have a new way to get all you can eat.