dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-25 16:21:37: Over the years we've seen a wide variety of causes for broadband outages ranging from beavers to gunshots. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

They need a NATURAL repellent

Maybe they should change to the cleaner that smells like Aardvark?

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

Not surprising

I've seen all kinds things inside those aerial terminals. I've seen bees, wasps, ants, and a even a frog up in a terminal, wouldn't be too surprised to hear about a snake next in the line of that food chain.

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR

Premium Member

I had a friend get his taken down by a garbage truck in Pittsburgh last week.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to newview

to newview

Re: They need a NATURAL repellent

Thats what happens when they take the VOC out of everything
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

4 recommendations

MaynardKrebs to Mr Fel

Premium Member

to Mr Fel

Re: Not surprising

said by Mr Fel:

...... wouldn't be too surprised to hear about a snake next in the line of that food chain.

That would be a Verizon or AT&T executive.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

Were these giant radioactive ants?

Fiber is seeming more and more vulnerable all the time, as if the metal thieving meth heads weren't bad enough, what could be next?

CableConvert
Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
Atlanta, GA

CableConvert

Premium Member

Welcome to the World of Crazy Ants

That is the actual name and they are highly attracted to electrical equipment. They have migrated here from S America, and you will hear more about them for sure.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra ··· razy_ant

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

1 recommendation

Pureblood

Premium Member

RE: Ants Eat Through Man's FiOS Line

Click for full size
the VZ administrators must feel like Charlton Heston’s character in “The Naked Jungle

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to CableConvert

Premium Member

to CableConvert

Re: Welcome to the World of Crazy Ants

But FiOS is light, not electric pulses on copper cable...
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Fiber and Copper

The old aerial copper cable splices back in the 70s were nesting places for almost anything that can get in it. I know of one that was home for a flying squirrel. When you lifted the cover he would sail to the bushes below. After the first time you expected him to be there. It was always fun to lift the cover and a snake was staring at you eye to eye. Sometime before 2000 they came out with an aerial closure that sealed up enough to keep most everything but insects out.

If fiber case leaks and the individual fibers sit in water the water will eat the covering off the part of the fiber that carries the light and makes the light go around the bends in the fibers.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

nuissance or a ploy for more $$

Well, Verizon had to make a play for the increased cost of it's fiber optic services
those pesky ants are another reason it costs so much to deploy a fiber network...

I've read that when burying live electricity lines are sometimes conduits are treated with chemicals the way WOOD is treated before deployment in moist and pest infested environments. This is a natural situation dealt with in outside plant construction. Exposed wires will be treated with chemicals which are nasty to the ants and safe for the environment. Holes are generally plugged with rubber stoppers and sealants.

FYI, Ants aren't the only insects that like to chew on raw materials.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: Welcome to the World of Crazy Ants

said by Zenit_IIfx:

But FiOS is light, not electric pulses on copper cable...

butit .../ pretty glass with a tasty, crunchy coating.
It's the dream of the snack industry, too bad ants are the only takers.
tshirt

tshirt to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: nuissance or a ploy for more $$

said by tmc8080:

FYI, Ants aren't the only insects that like to chew on raw materials.

When it comes to insects, WE are raw materials.
By volume, weight or sheer numbers, we are but puny humans.
Beck38
join:2014-05-12
Centralia, WA

1 recommendation

Beck38

Still old problems solved by GTE-FIOS 17 years ago confound Atlantic Bell

Maybe if I live long enough all the old problems GTE ran into in the late 90's developing FIOS will come back to bite Bell Atlantic (better known today as 'Verizon'), most simply because they still have a NIH (not invented here) syndrome.

We had costs in the two pilot plants (north Dallas and Ft. Wayne, IN) down to about 1/3rd of what 'Verizon' spent when they first started rolling things out. But of course we didn't have to figure in the NIH or the OC payments. When all the old engineers (both GTE trans-morphed into Verizon and those of us who were mostly Alcatel) went to Verizon HQ after the buyout to give a dissertation on fiber-to-the-home, and were basically told that they were going to do it 'their way' and no other.

I still have some old (this is pre-digital, folks!) Polaroids of the ant's munching their way through parts the Dallas FIOS pilot plants (REAL ant country!)

I'm currently in the process of moving to a 'real' gigabit fiber plant (non-FIOS/non-Google) where install costs at today's level is $100 per home.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Beck38:

I'm currently in the process of moving to a 'real' gigabit fiber plant (non-FIOS/non-Google) where install costs at today's level is

Who's plant is that? And slugs are the danger here (it just takes longer)

Mr_Anon_Name
@70.188.97.x

Mr_Anon_Name to Pureblood

Anon

to Pureblood

Re: RE: Ants Eat Through Man's FiOS Line

Those are some HUGE ants. They can't be native. Can they?
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

sparky007

Raid..

One word.. "RAID"

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran

Premium Member

Ants?

antdude See Profile wanted for questioning...

tmh
@120.29.146.x

tmh

Anon

This is importANT

Looks like the need a permanANT solution to the problem. An ANTi-insect coating on their fiber might also help. If I were Verizon, I'd be ANTsy about the situation. Fortunately this wasn't an apartment, or the tenANTs would be all upset.

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans

Sounds like Goo Gone

Orange-based cleaner that can be used as a degreaser.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

1 recommendation

gjrhine

Where?

Where?
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned)

new err old meaning of bug in the system

Gives new meaning to the term bug.... Oh shoot sorry gives the old meaning back hehe

Back in the day a bug in the program was a real bug (moth) that ate the wires insulation and caused a short. Go figure bugs in this case ants are at it again. Guess we have come full circle

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Go my minions.

If I can't get FIOS, no one else should too! :P
antdude

antdude to Pureblood

Premium Member

to Pureblood

said by Pureblood:

the VZ administrators must feel like Charlton Heston’s character in “The Naked Jungle

I just saw that old movie a few months ago on KCOP13.3(?). Hehe. I found out that MacGyver episode used the same clips! :O
antdude

antdude to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran

Re: Ants?

said by sivran:

antdude See Profile wanted for questioning...

Hey. I want FIOS! If I can't get it, then no one else will! Go my ants! :P
antdude

antdude to sparky007

Premium Member

to sparky007

Re: Raid..

said by sparky007:

One word.. "RAID"

I like computer RAIDs!

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

Diazianon!!!

The most potent Ant killer in decades!
Spray, wait two weeks, repeat.

Better than Pyrethrethyryins, more effective, and cheaper too.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

actually dawn dish soap and water half and half. It will kill any insect or spider (but don't kill spiders they are our friends remember that). It forms a film over the insects body and suffocates it. The best part is it does not harm the environment and is nontoxic. Also it knocks bees down and prevents them from flying once they are hit with it. So you can hose a active bee hive or hornets nest etc with it and not get stung very bad. You might cop a sting or 3 if unlucky. Using a garden sprayer can get you great reach etc. All around great stuff

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

Acephate for ants and other

Personally I like Acephate for ants. Its sold as Orthene for fire ants by Ortho. You can by it cheaper and at 97% instead of 50% off ebay in bulk. a 1/2 teaspoon on a mound does the trick. Its water soluble also
However it smells nasty for quite some time if it has moisture. Smells like real rotten feet. You can spray it in the house and leave for the day and run AC. Once its dry it doesn't smell and works for 30 days. I spray up the sides of the house and door thresholds.

»pmep.cce.cornell.edu/pro ··· ext.html

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

I seen first seen it in either the mid or late 60's. We took Amazon Prime for a test ride a few weeks ago and I watched it again there. I can't remember what they called the ants in the film but the native name and sounded more threatening than ants,LOL. The Police chief played by William Conrad said it first, IIRC it began with an M and that's when they decided to "Get out of Dodge". Glad you enjoyed the film
page: 1 · 2 · next