dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-25 16:21:37: Over the years we've seen a wide variety of causes for broadband outages ranging from beavers to gunshots. ..

prev · 1 · 2

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Pureblood

Premium Member

to Pureblood

Re: RE: Ants Eat Through Man's FiOS Line

said by Pureblood:

I seen first seen it in either the mid or late 60's. We took Amazon Prime for a test ride a few weeks ago and I watched it again there. I can't remember what they called the ants in the film but the native name and sounded more threatening than ants,LOL. The Police chief played by William Conrad said it first, IIRC it began with an M and that's when they decided to "Get out of Dodge". Glad you enjoyed the film

It was OK. A bit cheesy. I prefer Them! movie instead.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01

maxbrando

Premium Member

The gunshot article

"Qwest's advice to locals at the time was "don't shoot guns randomly.""
Do people seriously have to be told to not shoot guns randomly.
rhard49
join:2001-04-12
Merrick, NY

rhard49

Ants on my ONT

Damm and I wondered why there where ants walking all over my ont! I guess I should open it and see whats left. I thought they were eating my house

airshark
--... ...-- -.. . -. -.... .-.. -.--
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Hollister, CA

1 edit

airshark

Premium Member

D'Gel works

It's called D'Gel. It does a good job of highlighting any tiny knicks or cuts on your hands too. It takes off icky pick and cable goo better than anything else when you're doing strip and splice prep.

I can personally attest to the fact that bugs love this stuff. It also smells like delicious orange.

»www.specialized.net/Spec ··· 425.aspx
airshark

airshark to WhatNow

Premium Member

to WhatNow

Re: Fiber and Copper

Light refracts in the core and is surrounded by cladding which acts like the walls of a tube the reflect wavelengths back into the core glass (some arguably call this core/cladding barrier the mode field). The only way light escapes is if the rated bend radius is exceeded, the light departs its core and a percentage is lost directly through the cladding material. The part that gets degraded over time with moisture is called acrylite. It only serves as a color coating fiber identifier and needs to be stripped during splice prep. It's why we can strip back acrylite and then seal exposed cladding in a clear heat shrink after fusion splicing with no ill effects. Heat, humidity, moisture over time will make the glass brittle though. Making splicing very old fiber a pain in the butt sometimes. No offense meant in correction, I just get meticulous about fiber stuff

Edit: I realize from your posting you've probably been doing this a very long time.
prev · 1 · 2