spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-26 09:23:10: [user=Bob61571] sends us this 24/7 Wall Street report, which lists the 11 worst US companies to work for, after reviewing thousands of reviews on Glassdoor, the jobs and career website. ..

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Detroit, MI

everything pivots on the rural markets it seems

USF has been a total failure for consumers, and a slush fund for the usual suspects.

rural markets are trotted out in trying to sell a merger (ATT & DirecTV) but history has shown that very little actually happens.

I have to say though, fixed LTE seems the only technically viable solution for these markets. We lack any national WISPs (certainly correct me if I'm wrong here) and the lack of density precludes any terrestial coax/fiber deployments. Hell, we can barely get coax out in some of the more sparsely populated burbs.

In short - close the USF loopholes and create a regulatory environment framework that encourages wireless deployments for rural areas; maybe subsidize rolling 10G to a tower so that caps aren't set at 10-20GB.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by karpodiem:

Hell, we can barely get coax out in some of the more sparsely populated burbs.

Fiber is likely far more viable than coax in very sparsely populated area since RG11 coax still needs an in-line amplifier every few hundred meters (not really profitable if the cable is passing mostly mountains, cows and trees) while fiber can reach ~20km without any active field equipment.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
Either one is an expensive venture. When you get to fewer than 10 homes per mile your costs per household rise sharply. Stringing fiber on poles can cost $15-25k per mile and that's just for the route not including the costs to add drops for end users. Coax isn't going to be too far off that price either because your major expenses are not in the Fiber/Coax it's self. It's in everything that it takes to get it there.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
quote:
Stringing fiber on poles can cost $15-25k per mile
You have a source for that? Or do you work in accounting for Verizon or Google?

battleop

I've only worked in telecom for 15 years and it's generally accepted that fiber costs $15-25k per mile to deploy. I've also read stuff form guys at Sonic.net and Hunt Bros throw similar per mile figures when discussing fiber deployments. If you have similar industry experience to refute what I am saying please enlighten us all.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

InvalidError

reply to battleop
said by battleop:

Coax isn't going to be too far off that price either

But with coax, you do have the extra cost of ~1k$ in-line amplifiers for almost every subscriber with the extra maintenance and power costs that go with it... also not sure about how well DOCSIS would cope with extremely long return paths. With fiber, about $500 of that goes into the fiber drop terminal but there is no field equipment to power or maintain aside from repairing the occasional physical damage which coax is not immune to either.

25k$/mile is much lower than the estimates I remember seeing... one RFQ I have seen for NY-City was closer to 300k$/mile.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
reply to battleop
I was privy to some Fiber being deployed from one site to another less than a mile away, but across the street, and the cost was around 30K.

battleop

reply to InvalidError
I may be off on this fact but I think I remember one of the guys from Hunt Telecom in NOLA (3-4 years ago) saying that when you get into downtown New Orleans the cost of deploying fiber was $50k+/mile because everything is underground and digging up sidewalks and streets are expensive to repair.
--

karlmarx

join:2006-09-18
Chicago, IL
reply to InvalidError
Actually, I've had a ~70km Single mode fiber run working just fine without a repeater, but it was only 1gb/sec. If you want to run 40gb/sec, you are correct, the limit is closer to 20km.
--
The best way to defeat religion it to ignore it. Look at Ra/Thor/Zeus, they all thought they were forever.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

These companies need to be forced to rebuild with fiber!

Enough screwing around.. the large telcos should be forced to rebuild with fiber or else be fined heavily for every year that goes by without significant progress.

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state

2 recommendations

While this does sound a little extreme, they are given quite a bit of right-of-way and easements many are doing nothing with but letting the copper rot.

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to 15444104
We need to get away from one company doing the fiber and content. It would be better to build a fiber network and then let each customer hire content providers and ISPs lease the single fiber to their house or business. You may have several content providers and 5 or 6 ISPs asking for you business instead of 1 or maybe 2.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to battleop

Re: everything pivots on the rural markets it seems

Stringing on existing utility poles should be much cheaper then that.

Now burying it the whole way or having to put in poles where none exist and those numbers sound right.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926
I think that is high. The local fiber place here did a 2 mile loop for me and added it into the cost of the contract. 1 gbit for $800 a month is a let less than I was paying for a 10 mbit port from "the other guy"

bn1221

Cortland, NY
reply to InvalidError
did that 300K include all the drops to the subs? 1 mile in NY could be something like 5,000 people. 300K to like up 5000 is a pretty decent ROI

bn1221

Cortland, NY
reply to karlmarx
That's pretty good. The Frontier COs I've toured only have OC48 backhauls which are ~2Gbit. Considering in Marathon NY the RTs are fed with 4-6 T1 feeds "only 1 gb" sounds great

battleop

reply to KrK
You would think it would be cheaper but it's not. Labor, fuel, equipment, insurance, etc., really adds up.
--

InvalidError

reply to bn1221
The numbers I glanced at were just RFQ rates for items requested by NY-city. I did not look up the associated RFQ document to find out exactly what was included in the RFQ item reference number.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to WhatNow

Re: These companies need to be forced to rebuild with fiber!

And anyone is free to create a Co-Op to do just that or any other company. But as seen in other cities- it doe NOT work. iProvo? UTOPIA? Two of the largest Muni networks that were "open" and still nothing really changed anything in terms of pricing let alone providers that are/were on it.

pizmo pete

join:2007-10-24
Portland, CT

Poor SNET

I feel so sorry for Snet sold by those idiots from texas...raped of their assets ..sold to this hack of a company..new England area is screwed.