dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-26 14:39:51: Sponsored Data allows certain content to not impact AT&T user caps if the content creator pays AT&T a fee. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

BlockAds
@50.182.54.x

BlockAds

Anon

Mobile Firefox for Android & Adblock blocks most unsolicited ads

I have AT&T smartphone and use Mobile Firefox for Android & Adblock to stop unwanted ads.

SrsBsns
join:2001-08-30
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit

SrsBsns

How will users know?

I'm not researching each ad to determine the source. I'll keep skipping them, thanks.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

Ads

Video ads are pretty data demanding. The video ads on Slacker for example can literally eat more data than the music you actually want to listen to. But they shouldn't be allowed around the cap.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

fg8578

NN violation?

Bode writes: "Some might argue that unrequested ads shouldn't count against an arbitrarily-imposed usage cap in the first place."

How would you exempt ads from usage caps w/o violating NN? If all bits are created equal, then shouldn't an ad bit be treated like any other?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

How many hershey's commerials in a KitKat bar?

Not surprised that ads are the first takers but I expected a more general ad company mixing in ads with useful content (movie, tv, game, contest)
How many hershey commerials would someone CHOOSE to watch? Why?

BTW KitKat is a Herhsey made product is the US, but actually owned by Nestle( and maybe Google) who produces it everywhere else--- now you don't need to watch any of their ads.

ev
@74.140.91.x

ev

Anon

Hey Auntie Bell

Could you kindly be at home between the hours of 6a-8p EST to let us come in and take a look-see at your data meters? The code is open source, yeah?

No you say?

OK well it's at least verified by a trusted completely independent third party like the EFF or something, right?

No...?

So we'll just take your word for it then?

Neat! Will do!

OK so we just go around to the back dock to empty our dump trucks full of cash then?
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to fg8578

to fg8578

Re: NN violation?

I want to know how its a violation when there is no such guidelines, rules, laws or policy. You can't violate anything if no guidelines exist to tell you what a violation is.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

What if that movie..

...has much product placement? Isn't that really a two hour ad and not a movie??

My data should be free! LOL...

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon to fg8578

Premium Member

to fg8578

said by fg8578:

Bode writes: "Some might argue that unrequested ads shouldn't count against an arbitrarily-imposed usage cap in the first place."

How would you exempt ads from usage caps w/o violating NN? If all bits are created equal, then shouldn't an ad bit be treated like any other?

You conflate user requested data with data forced on the user. Why should the user be forced to pay an additional tax to the provider for data they did not request and in most cases, didn't want to see?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

But but congestion!

Sponsored data but throttling Unlimited Data at the same time.

Figure that one out...

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

I say bullshit

People are happily watching ads on their mobile phones? People are choosing to click on ads especially cause it doesn't count against their cap? Bull bull bull. And you trust AT&T is being honest with the data used?
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

The biggest problem I have with "Sponsored Data"...

I no longer have any realistic idea of how much data I'm using and what I'm supposed to be being billed for and not billed for.

fg8578
join:2009-04-26
San Antonio, TX

fg8578 to coldmoon

to coldmoon

said by coldmoon:

You conflate user requested data with data forced on the user. Why should the user be forced to pay an additional tax to the provider for data they did not request and in most cases, didn't want to see?

That's a good point.

So I assume you're OK with your ISP allowing all bits you didn't request (like spam emails, for example) to flow freely without counting against your data cap? I'm sure advertisers would love that approach.

But how is your ISP supposed to know the difference?

Yes
@50.182.54.x

Yes to ITGeeks

Anon

to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

I want to know how its a violation when there is no such guidelines, rules, laws or policy. You can't violate anything if no guidelines exist to tell you what a violation is.

NN is a concept only. There are no regulations that can be enforced. But every so-called public advocate screams foul anytime their concept of what NN should be is not followed. 50 different ideas of what NN is and not a law or regulation in existence.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Which websites download usage free?

When a website pays AT&T for prepaid data downloads, do downloads from that website, through other ISP's like Comcast, Verizon and all other ISP's, count against those ISP's users CAPS? Probably. So to make that website download usage free, for all customers using that website the website operator will have to pay every ISP carrying their users traffic.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

What A Load...

...mobile users are 100 percent to 300 percent more likely to watch a mobile video ad...
If zero out of 10 people watch a video ad with their own data, sponsored data raises that to 1 to 3 out of 10? Is that how this statistic works?
rradina

rradina to SrsBsns

to SrsBsns

Re: How will users know?

Surely they'll have to have some kind of branding campaign so folks know when something is paying for the data it uses. What's interesting is I wonder how many folks are even concerned about most ads (pictures in e-mail, pictures on web sites and banner ads in apps) using their data? Could this backfire and end up making the public more aware of these things eating up their cap?

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon to fg8578

Premium Member

to fg8578

quote:
But how is your ISP supposed to know the difference?
The answer is actually simple - the ISP should have no role in picking "winners" OR "losers" where data is concerned. All traffic should be first come, first serve without priority or interference from the ISP.

The user pays a fee for an account with the provider and the provider should deliver whatever data the user requests whenever they request at the full speed of the connection the user is paying for.

As for spam or any other user requested or ISP advertised filtering, that should be already part of the calculus for the monthly service fee.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

2 recommendations

78036364 (banned)

DSLR hypocrisy?

Some might argue that unrequested ads shouldn't count against an arbitrarily-imposed usage cap in the first place.

Some might argue that advocating for net neutrality but then state ad data should be treated differently than other data( even if for the benefit to the consumer ) goes against NN and thus is hypocritical.

78036364 (banned) to coldmoon

to coldmoon

said by coldmoon:

except if you are getting content for FREE on the condition that you put up with advertising then the ads are not "forced" on you. If you don't want ads you can always go with the paid version of teh app. Another example where people expect something for nothing. No such thing as a free lunch.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to coldmoon

Premium Member

to coldmoon
wait, what?

you know just like everyone else, that they are going to charge ad companies a "nice guy" fee to not impact subscribers, and then turn around and still take an overage fee if ads push them over.

you might want to sit and re-evaluate the last sentence, unless the point your trying to make is that users should pay a fee to filter ads/spam ect, which we all know will cost a fortune and be the first step into the censored broadband discussion that will follow shortly after.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

Re: But but congestion!

Give up. Usage based fees have never really been about managing network congestion.
openbox9

openbox9 to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt

Re: Which websites download usage free?

said by Mr Matt:

So to make that website download usage free, for all customers using that website the website operator will have to pay every ISP carrying their users traffic.

If the ISP has a "toll free data" program, then yes.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate to 78036364

to 78036364

Re: DSLR hypocrisy?

DSLR speaking out of both sides of its mouth? Say it aint so....
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Ads

There's no ads in the paid version of Slacker. So that extra data is part of the price for using a limited free version of the service...
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

True. I subscribed for years but ended up canceling when they forced the new web player on everyone. It is terribly slow/unstable for large custom stations. The apps for Android are not much better, especially over the last few days. They need to fix their bugs before I will consider paying again.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364

With usage caps being enforced, unrequested ads shouldn't be delivered at all.

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate

back to reality

can I live in your make believe world too? lol , for that to happen then you better be ready for some deep packet sniffing

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

It's not as difficult as you seem to think it has to be. You simply have terms that you agree upon before using an app or service.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364

I guess you miss the point. If the ISP is going to cap and meter you, then you shouldn't have to pay for data you didn't want or wish for. In essence unwanted ads, spam, DDoS, bug fixes etc and the like all cost you money and therefore "Damage" you, meaning, you have a slam dunk lawsuit win.

So, the real solution is no caps, no metered overage.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next