spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-30 12:01:13: When the Supreme Court ruled last week that Aereo was violating broadcaster copyright, the majority made some half-hearted assurances that the ruling couldn't be used by broadcasters to try and thwart other innovative TV services. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

Like a number 10 can of worms.

The name Aereo will live on in infamy for many years in the piracy/anti IP rights hall of horrors.
Someone choose to push the legal limit and choose a poor case to do it with.

and now the empire strikes back.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
It wasn't like Barry Diller was a nobody in the industry.

He created Fox and USA afterall.

He wouldn't have put all of that money into Aereo if he didn't think he had a good case.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Up to Congress...

It's up to Congress to amend the copyright laws now.

Some dark days ahead for consumer choice...

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

I don't see how

The hopper is a DVR. It records the ENTIRE broadcast and doesn't redistribute it outside the home.

How is that case even applicable other than having an outcome that screws consumers.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
It's not. Fox is grasping at straws with this argument.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

11 recommendations

reply to IPPlanMan

Re: Up to Congress...

At this point I don't trust congress to get my order at McDs right.

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

If they succeed I will cut the cord...

If Fox or any of the other networks kill the Hopper I for one will cut the cord. The way I see it is the local stations are already getting paid by Dish for programming that is already free over the air causing my bill to be higher. I think people have had just about enough of the pay TV model....

I realize Dish isn't the one to blame, but the only way I can make an impact is to stop paying the middle man.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

reply to buzz_4_20

Re: I don't see how

There are Hoppers that include Slingbox technology.

Fox want's them to pay a license for place shifting.

Soup

@50.182.54.x
reply to buzz_4_20
said by buzz_4_20:

The hopper is a DVR. It records the ENTIRE broadcast and doesn't redistribute it outside the home.

It is another copyright case. The hopper modifies the replay of the recording by automatically REMOVING commercials. So it isn't JUST a DVR. The content providers argue that removing commercials(not just the users skipping them) is a violation of their copyright. This isn't really about paying for retransmission like Aereo case. I doubt the courts will see any prescedent in the Aereo case applying here.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Soup :

The hopper modifies the replay of the recording by automatically REMOVING commercials. So it isn't JUST a DVR. The content providers argue that removing commercials(not just the users skipping them)

You don't have a Hopper, huh ? I do and it does NOT remove the commercials. They are absolutely, 100% still there.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to Zoder
and that's exactly the process that Aereo was using essentially, which is the same case that Fox kept losing in court to Dish, now with the Aereo ruling basically upending everything in terms of how IP laws are applied, which in my opinion should and is beyond the powers that the supreme court should hold.

also with Aereo they weren't "location shifting" quite as much as Dish is(where you can grab content from other cities and watch them) the restrictions on Aereo was you had to LIVE in the city that had the OTA broadcast.

Basically Aereo was the guy installing bunny ears on the top of your apartment building(because brick/concrete buildings and OTA don't get along) and wiring all the houses to it, and then you adding a VCR in between.

MDA
Auto negotiating
Premium
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

it's pretty scary

For how ugly things get when the government makes a wrong decision. Companies use that wrong decision against each other to compete over one another and the government is the one who created the spark.

Its like corporate cannibalism when they jump on each other and that shows the government isn't treading lightly like it should on these new age tech topics that it seems they never fully understand.

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

1 recommendation

What's next?

Are they going to make getting up and taking a piss during the commercials illegal?

Seriously, I can barely even stand to watch network TV anymore, because they keep cutting into the show to jam in more commercials.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to BonezX

I'm not aware of Dish enabling folks to subscribe to just any OTA channels. I thought they only let you subscribe to those that broadcast in your area.

Aereo's legality was neutralized because, technicalities aside, the justices thought it "looked like cable" in terms of centralized mass retransmitting of content to many subscribers. While I think that was sloppy judicial procedure, it seems a stretch to believe an in-home DVR is the same thing.

However, perhaps the best thing is for Fox to win at the district level and then have the appellate court smear some infamous Bob Guccione Vaseline on the lens of justice that virtually guarantees Fox appeals to SCOTUS. Then SCOTUS can decide if they are willing to cleanup the mess they created with their "looks like" crap ruling.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Zoder
The question of course comes, Does FOX even have a right to control when where and how someone views the content once it hits the STB.

Slingbox has faced the fires of court before they got borged by Dish and they have won. They got sued by the sports leagues over fears of it bypassing blackouts.
--
Filan - Aurin Spellslinger - Pago - Team Legacy

puck0114

join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

There's a simple solution to all this...

Everyone should just stop watching TV. Go outside. Play with your dog. Take a walk. Get on your bike. Write a story.

Screw the broadcasters and their product. TV just dumbs people down anyway.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Kearnstd

At the same time does Dish have the right to control it as well? If they leave it up to the end user I think they loose all arguments because it's just the end user fast forwarding through the commercials on their own. Would FOX loose their argument if it's the end user that's doing the FF as apposed to Dish doing it for the end user?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to SlowFITL

Re: If they succeed I will cut the cord...

Don't you have the option to not subscribe to local channels?

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

No surprise.

Tivo will be next.
This will have an affect on CD ripping and DVD ripping software as well.

The supremacy court screwed the pooch on this one.
--

What does God need with a starship?
-- Kirk

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

So....

Did anyone not see this coming?

I expect to see another case brought up against the makers of VCR's with back paid royalties in the mix.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO

3 recommendations

reply to Zoder

Re: Like a number 10 can of worms.

He had a great case and a great product that once again was brought down by a technological inept court.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to rradina

You missed what he was saying in that you can live in NY and use the sling to watch something from NY while you are visiting LA.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to Hall
And if it did but had an option that the user turned on/off at their will then it would still be their choice.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to rradina
here's the thing though, Aereo wasn't using a centralized re-transmitting system(in the traditional sense), they used an antenna cluster that you "rented" a single antenna and paired DVR from them that were kept at their facility and accessed it remotely to view and operate the equipment that you are renting, another part of the service was you had to verify your location and you would only receive the OTA transmission for you city/state.

the short version would be, Benny in apartment 12(who is also the owner of the building) can receive good signal, so he rents out space on his balcony for the rest of the tenants to install OTA antennas.

IF it was a traditional re-transmission, they wouldn't have spent a small fortune in designing and installing these antenna clusters in cities and just went with a single input into a server based distribution model and made the entire service on demand.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to puck0114

Re: There's a simple solution to all this...

I personally practice patience.

I do not need to start watching a show right away. I can wait a day or 20 minutes until it is recorded enough that I can watch and bypass all commercials.

If it is something that will be on Netflix I have no problem waiting until the next season comes out. So I maybe a year behind, I don't really care.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

lets

Lets just help fox out by turning off our TV's and discontinuing our cable/satellite subscriptions and let these greedy tards rot in debt.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Soup

Settled. They don't modify the recording, they add "bookmarks". That is how many ad skipping technologies work to get around yet another law. Which is too bad, considering 33% of your hard drive is filled with crap. If they modified the stream, they would be dead meat.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to The Antihero

Re: What's next?

That is what the Kinect is for

It'll pause your commercial until you get back in the room. One reason why I disconnected my Kinect and won't be using one ever again.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Re: Like a number 10 can of worms.

Yup. Aereo and Grooveshark are going to result in massive changes in copyright enforcement for years to come.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to ARGONAUT

Re: No surprise.

DVD ripping software is already "illegal." It isn't illegal to rip your own DVDs. Neither is it illegal to make software to rip your own DVDs. However, you can't make software to rip DVDs and distribute it. Which means that most users can't exercise their legal right to rip their legally owned DVDs.

Of course, if you know where to look...
--
-Jason Levine