spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-06-30 18:39:34: T-Mobile recently took some heat on the network neutrality front by declaring they would exempt the biggest music streaming services from their usage caps. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1

Simple Mobile

Will this be for Simple Mobile users as well?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 recommendations

The opposite tact of AT&T

TMO is playing a 180 of AT&T. AT&T outright demands $$$ from providers to get preferential access. TMO is "whitelisting" first curated music, then curated speed tests. AT&T payola scheme is not subtle. TMO scheme is, but they still chip away at Net Neutrality.

Well they are becoming the "curator". So while they don't take any cash today, I can see a situation where a startup may have to pony up payola to get whitelisted, otherwise they full under the general data bucket, or they are more likely to merge with a whitelisted vendor, and choice is reduced through omission.

Now what if they don't pass that whitelist into MVNO? Now they are disadvantaging MVNO in their bulk data purchases...

While I think this adds to the customer experience today, I can see how this can get out of control over time when the network provider becomes the curator and is indirectly picking winners. This highly distorts the demand curve for whitelisted vendors versus not.

That is certainly not net neutrality, no matter how you slice it.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to brianiscool

Re: Simple Mobile

said by brianiscool:

Will this be for Simple Mobile users as well?

no

robbyglack

@50.243.146.x

i want to be able to check my throttled speed

how are we supposed to check how fast the throttled data is?

robbyglack

@50.243.146.x

explains some weirdness with gosmart and univision

i have run speed test on friends phone on t-mobile sub brands gosmart and univision and they always come out super fast but browsing, video everything is quite sluggish.

i guess t-mobile has been giving the speedtest apps priority and that explains the weirdness

kram1984j

join:2009-12-06

2 edits
reply to elefante72

Re: The opposite tact of AT&T

This also lets them play the game of pointing the finger at "someone else" for slow speeds, just like Verizon is trying to do now with Netflix. Clearwire did something similar back before they admitted they actively throttled (and lost a class action lawsuit, the year before SCOTUS said the arbitration-only clauses in contracts were legal, thus outlawing any future class action lawsuits...). It's a pretty bad practice to have a special mode to just show favorable speedtests for the carrier while they're actively throttling all other applications. I'm surprised anyone is applauding it. It's reasonable to exempt the data from counting towards the cap, but they shouldn't be specifically doctoring the data so that the speedtests are Faster than the user has access to. The speedtests should show the current throttling limit they have in place on the user, if any.

With Clearwire, every 20-30 minutes it would reset the throttle and you'd have 30seconds-afewminutes (or a few MB) of data at Full Speed. Then it would throttle to 0.05MBps. If you called their tech support, they wouldn't admit management or throttling but they'd have you reset the modem, wait, turn it back on -- and of course the speedtest then was full speed. About 1 minute after the call was over, the speed would drop back to 0.05MBps.

With this new policy in place, it's very painful to determine to what speed they're throttling you to. Instead, your applications will just stop working properly and you'll complain to the application providers. And that's their primary goal.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to robbyglack

Re: explains some weirdness with gosmart and univision

Excluding certain things from the cap does not necessarily mean that it will or will not be given priority over capped traffic. I've been inhaling data on my VZW 5S now that AWS is in town, so this would be a nice feature to have.

join:2014-05-06
USA

hypocrites are funny

I like how NN supporters are ok with this because it's benefits them. Either it's wrong to violate NN or it isn't. There is no gray area. Either all data is treated the same or it's not. If not then ANYTHING goes.

kram1984j

join:2009-12-06
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

Excluding certain things from the cap does not necessarily mean that it will or will not be given priority over capped traffic.

"The Ookla Speedtest.net application is designed to measure true network speed--not show that a customer has exceeded their high-speed data bucket," the company said in a statement.

The quote from the article suggests that, yes, their intention is to give the speedtest priority so that their network looks better on sites that aggregate data from speedtests. This also diverts people to complain to their application providers rather than see direct evidence of any extreme throttling themselves.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to kram1984j

But on T-Mobile, once you get throttled, the Speedtests and music apps and everything else will be throttled. They just don't get you to the point of being throttled in the first place. As long as your music service of choice is one of the ones on their list, they have now taken the two biggest sources of data consumption off of the table, so it will be basically impossible to hit even a 500MB cap...

BiggA

EARTH
reply to kram1984j

No. There's no priority given. It just won't get you to the cap. At least the way I read it...

BiggA

EARTH

The Hofo'ers...

...are going to go nuts with this one!!

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

Go T-Mobile!

Love it.

USA
said by IPPlanMan:

Love it.

when at&t came up with teh same thing people went ape shit against it. T-Mobile could advocate the clubbing of kittens and people would be all for it.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC

2 edits
No. This is not what AT&T did.

AT&T was charging content providers for sponsored data so it wouldn't count against a user's cap.

For T-Mobile: "Further, the carrier said that no money is changing hands in either of these scenarios--those providing speed-test apps and music apps are not paying for preferential treatment."

Source: »www.fiercewireless.com/story/con···14-06-26

USA
really exempting certain data form caps and not others? sounds the same to me.

duh

join:2008-08-18
Atlanta, GA
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

But on T-Mobile, once you get throttled, the Speedtests and music apps and everything else will be throttled.

I think you missed the point of the original post, in that T-Mo has un-throttled Ookla's speedtest.net specifically not to show throttled speeds. Read their press release wording:

The Ookla Speedtest.net application is designed to measure true network speed--not show that a customer has exceeded their high-speed data bucket.

...But that said:

said by BiggA:

so it will be basically impossible to hit even a 500MB cap

Are you a troll?

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to 78036364

Re: Go T-Mobile!

AT&T was getting paid.

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said

join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

?

I wonder if this also counts for T-M prepaid...
--
My PC Gaming Blog
»www.unbooted.com

USA
reply to IPPlanMan

Oh so if at&t exempts Netflix but not others as long as it's without any compensation you're ok with that?

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Ookla's a Joke

I use testmy.net which is a real world test.
Ookla's bought and paid for by the ISP's
so it's results are usually biased when run
locally off the ISP's own network duh.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to 78036364

Why are you making this a Hypothetical?

USA
said by IPPlanMan:

Why are you making this a Hypothetical?

Just answer the question otherwise I'll assume you're a hypocrite.

ipwn3r456

join:2013-07-31
Los Angeles, CA

Is this only applied on their new Simple Plan?

I have the older classic 2GB plan from them, since it's cheaper. I wonder if it applies to my data plan as well...

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

Washington, DC
reply to 78036364

Assume what you want. You're changing the subject.

They aren't comparable situations.

If you want to make it so AT&T exempts it, that's fine with me.
In fact, I dare them to do it.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to 78036364

Re: hypocrites are funny

I support NN and this is another NN violation, absolutely. Just like the music freedom thing was. Now, the fact that T-Mobile's unlimited plan isn't *that* expensive softens the blow a bit. But I won't pretend that it isn't an issue.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Packeteers

Re: Ookla's a Joke

The speedtest servers I use aren't on my ISP's network.

Also, Testmy.net might as well be on-net work TWC and Comcast; they use SoftLayer, and SoftLayer paid-peers with both of those companies, as well as others. I use the SoftLayer based Ookla test more often than not, so it's really six of one, half dozen of the other.

USA
reply to IPPlanMan

Oh so at&t can exempt Netflix for free and not exempt Hulu or Amazon video or any other video start-up and you're cool with that?

USA
reply to robbyglack

Re: i want to be able to check my throttled speed

said by robbyglack :

how are we supposed to check how fast the throttled data is?

throttled data will be 250 kbps or less

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to robbyglack
If you've gone over your cap, it no longer matters whether or not the data you're using from the speedtest applies to your cap or not. The speedtest results will still reflect the throttled speed.