spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-02 09:13:31: While there has been some concerns over whether or not Google Fiber will leave some potential neighborhoods high and dry, the latest stats suggest that 95% of Kansas City neighborhoods have now qualified for service. ..

thatguythere

@108.47.99.x

2 recommendations

I don't know

If some of the posters on this site are to be believed, no one wants fiber and we should thank our overlords at Comcast and Verizon for blessing us with with their speeds (in select areas, not all speeds available, void where prohibited, see owners manual for details) and caps.

stuckinOP

@216.203.88.x

Crying....

And being stuck in Overland Park...... no soup for us. Ever. Never wanted to punch a politician so bad.

existenz

join:2014-02-12
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Google Fiber

1 edit

Is curious that Google chose lowest income areas of KC metro first

Google chose city of Kansas City, KS first, which is the lowest income city of KC metro, especially eastern half. Then they chose Central KC, MO of which E Side is among lowest income area of metro - W side has mixed income to very high income (edit: N/S KCMO are mixed income of all levels too, deploying later this year). Is interesting that low income areas with high immigrants qualified faster than hoods with mostly domesticated low income. Was also harder for low density/industrial areas to qualify as they had higher registration requirement.

Can criticize for approach Google took (registration method), but they did give most low income areas of KC metro first opportunity. And after rollout completes fir those who did register, there will supposedly be future registration.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Perhaps they wanted to gain deployment experience in areas that are less likely to make a stink when they make mistakes. Low income areas have far less resources to use the courts when sidewalk, driveway and landscape issues grind someones gears.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Now just move on to the rest of the metro area please!

Raytown has it now lees summit by this time next year please!

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to rradina

Re: Is curious that Google chose lowest income areas of KC metro first

Well they do want to grow user base on the Net and low income is likely the final segment to pursue. But they also say KC, KS was selected because of very efficient city/county govt and relationship with utilities.

High income is also in mix. Plaza, Ward Parkway to Brookside areas of Central KCMO are high to very high income. Some other pockets too.

older dog
Premium
join:2005-06-09
reply to existenz
Recreational choices are far more limited when you are poor and have no transportation options besides the bus.
You would end up staying home, with no yard or room for other outdoor hobbies the TV and or computer become your only option to pass the time.

Poor neighborhoods have far more customers per mile passed than in the better off neighborhoods.
As long as Google has a method to wire multi unit dwellings at a reasonable cost, a low income neighborhood would be more profitable.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to existenz
That's simple. In any given area the lower middle class to the poor are the overwhelming majority usually. When you need big numbers for infrastructure projects you target the masses.

It's not like sticking a cell tower up and looking down on all the people you just inked red on a map.
--
Say no to those that ‘inadvertently make false representations’.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
reply to existenz
They selected KC because the city was the first to agree to anything that was put in front of them- including the City taking on any legal issues that would arise from the service/deployment.

FrostyMelon

join:2006-02-06
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to existenz
Part of the deal with K.C. is they start and place fiber into those lower income housing areas.

JasonBourne

join:2000-05-22
Kansas City, MO
Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to me1212

Re: Now just move on to the rest of the metro area please!

Raytown is still being built out (as in they have buried empty conduit in my cul-de-sac, but no fiber in it, no NIU on my house, and no equipment in my house yet.) My parents 1.5 miles south have their NIU with fiber in it, but no equipment, and multiple people I know 2 miles south of them are fully deployed.

Lee's Summit is already scheduled for 2015. »fiber.google.com/cities/kansasci···berhood=

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

so, where is the 5%??

and will they ever get fiber? Seems stupid to leave that small an area without service.
Maybe put up some bill boards to rename that neighborhood to DumbAss?
It would be interesting to find out why those residents choose not to signup "We're not fucking lemmings!" or whatever.
warm up the DSLR jet, time for Karl to go on assignment.

Also, can the phone or cable company now choose to discontinue service to any area they don't think is worth serving?

powerhog
Stinkin' up the joint
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Owasso, OK
said by tshirt:

Also, can the phone or cable company now choose to discontinue service to any area they don't think is worth serving?

The telcos & cablecos are free to negotiate different terms in their franchise agreements. If they didn't like the terms, they shouldn't have agreed to them! And why whine about a company that has better negotiation skills/tactics? Does one company being a better negotiator mean we have to apply those same terms to all possible competitors or should we allow the 'strong' companies to survive (free enterprise)?

Besides that, are the telco & cable companies really required to deploy Internet service to 100% of their coverage areas?

existenz

reply to stuckinOP

Re: Crying....

I don't see OP back on the plate until rollout of existing suburbs nearly complete, which could take years. OP and Independence are the two largest KC burbs with no agreement.

ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH
New areas? Hell they don't even have anything in Austin yet let alone moving into other cities.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
reply to stuckinOP
OP had their chance. They should just wire themselves if they want fiber so bad.
--
isheavenforreal.com

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO
reply to stuckinOP
Im in Riverside, and the morons in government wouldnt agree to Google demands so no fiber here either. Which is stupid since Park Hill south HS is right in the middle of Riverside.

So the line is from Waukomis north to I-29 west to Parkville around Riverside. Bunch of idiots in the city council if you ask me. But yet, lets tear down an old Quik Trip (convenience store if not from around here) and make it a "family affair with party like atmosphere" as they put it in the city newsletter in an effort to revitalize downtown. Which is all of 2 city blocks.

»fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/

existenz

Reviews:
·Google Fiber
reply to biochemistry
Looks like as of a few days ago OP may have come to agreement with Google...
»www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b···ber.html