spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2014-07-03 10:39:46: Speaking recently at the IP Summit in London, Former Senator turned MPAA boss Chris Dodd pronounced his love for forcing ISPs to block and filter websites accused of aiding copyright infringement. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless

1 edit

2 recommendations

In Reality

Spotify, Pandora and Company are far more effective preventing music piracy.

Since this is the MPAA...

Netflix, Hulu, RedBox, Amazon.... would be the problem solver for them.

Piracy is easy... banishing some links from google doesn't make it any harder for someone who's looking.

Look at street drugs. Plenty of people can find dealers, and they aren't listed on google maps.

Path of least resistance... that why Netflix works so well. It's EASY and inexpensive.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

pirates gotta swet

I actually agree with this - I mean doing what is technically a crime should NOT be so easy.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

3 recommendations

said by Packeteers:

I actually agree with this - I mean doing what is technically a crime should NOT be so easy.

Should we outlaw knives because at any moment you can stab someone? Or can we agree that knives serve a practical purpose, and the responsibility for obeying laws is up to the individual?

Flyonthewall

@206.248.154.x

3 recommendations

Make the content available at reasonable prices

For most people being able to buy media without feeling like a breeding mare is a plus. Any retailer making an effort to make product easily available in a legal fashion for a reasonable profit will do well with people I think. Charging 60$ for a box set of Game Of Thrones is a bit much, but that's still cheaper than paying for television for that one channel that carries that show. Services like Netflix that pay licensing fees still return a profit to these companies, it's maybe not the affluence they are used to, but that's better than the alternative - no money and people pirating.

Instead of trying to reinforce their sales model they should adjust to the changing times.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to morbo

Re: pirates gotta swet

your analogy is ridiculous. if p2p is a knife, you could stab at raw dead chicken meat (legit p2p distributed file) for dinner, or a living human (copy right protected file) that bleeds. so it's not the knife (p2p client) that's at issue, it's what you aim your blade at (with the help of a search engine).

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state

DRM-Free Downloads are the way to go

The music industry finally caved, when's the movie industry going to get the message?

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to Flyonthewall

Re: Make the content available at reasonable prices

Exactly this. The most effective tool the MPAA has to prevent piracy is called Netflix!
--
-Jason Levine

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

Most Effective Tool

So what they are really saying is that they don't actually have any effective tools.

"Our most effective tool while fishing is this net that has dozens of broken parts in it and lets fish through easily. We're puzzled as to why we don't catch more fish."
--
-Jason Levine

Mr Guy

join:2014-05-06
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Flyonthewall

said by Flyonthewall :

Make the content available at reasonable prices

Unfortunately for many the only "reasonable" price is free. Too many people think content creators should just basically work for free and give their work away, just because. Too many people today think the world owes them free shit.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

said by Mr Guy:

Unfortunately for many the only "reasonable" price is free. Too many people think content creators should just basically work for free and give their work away, just because. Too many people today think the world owes them free shit.

That doesn't mean reasonably priced content free from restrictions would not significantly reduce piracy. There is proof to suggest that this curbs piracy. If the money used to fight piracy were put to better use, the conglomerates holding on to old ways could have potentially benefited greatly.

We see this happen over and over again. Nobody seems to learn from the past. This time will be different.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

It's a drop on a hot plate. Piracy just keeps going up, despite "great firewalls" put in place, even in China.

You can block a site, but the next day it is available again. Look at the Piratebay, they have effectively evaded international laws for over 10 years, and they are still going strong.

Every attempt to stop piracy, or even slow down piracy has failed.

Now I am not a big pirate, every so often I download something I can't find on netflix, amazon or hulu, but that is about it. If I download 2 pirated items in a month, its a lot So I won't be affected by any sort of government firewall blocking pirated sites.....

...but one has to ask, where does it stop? Once the "great firewall" is in place, and the government controls what websites can be blocked, who is to say what is next? Jihadi websites that explain how to make a bomb? Sure, we're all against terrorism, but do we have to block websites? Links that explain exactly how to break open a car without triggering the alarm? Links that explain how to protect yourself from teargas so you can survive the protest? Links that explain how to kill cats? Links that tell you how to fool the speed radar detector? And of course: Links that tell you how to circumvent the Great Firewall once it is in place.

Where does it start, and where does it end? Once you have the ability to block website at a nation-wide level, I guarantee you it won't stop with just the MPAA requests. Once you go from a country that blocks absolutely nothing and believes in freedom of speech anywhere on the internet, to a country that blocks websites based on what commercial organizations deem "sites of interest", you will open the floodgates. (and yes the MPAA is a representative of commercial organizations).

Again: I don't condone piracy, I don't do it a lot myself..... but HANDS OFF the internet. It's the last place we still have a little bit of freedom.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

And "price" isn't always monetary. How about those Blu-rays and DVD's with an endless parade of trailers that are either hard as hell to skip or unskippable entirely. And, even if I was interested in seeing them once, I don't care to see them on the fifth, tenth, or twentieth viewing. And before someone says you'll never watch a disc that many times in a short period of time, just wait until you have a toddler. My wife and I can recite entire scenes of "Frozen" without missing a single word.

Just let me watch the damn movie that I paid for without making me jump through needless hoops.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to maartena

maart, you kinda missed the point of my post

MPAA appears focused on getting search engines to block sites from results,

if countries decide to block PB, what will it matter
if general search engines can still link out to PB.
(the link may not resolve, but you know it's out there)

getting on PB should be hard - so don't circumvent
that by including PB links in every generic search site.

MPAA should not be bothering ISPs with a block list,
rather they should be getting the general search
engines to limit results of MPAA's block listed sites.

that effort would at least do away with lazy casual pirates
since as you say, the smart ones will find PB either way.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to Jason Levine

said by Jason Levine:

Exactly this. The most effective tool the MPAA has to prevent piracy is called Netflix!

Exactly. In the "olden days" before netflix, I used to download DivX movies. Now I have a netflix account, a amazon prime account, and a hulu account.... and I go there.

Currently watching Torchwood from the beginning. In only ever downloaded season 1 back in the "DivX" days, and its all on Netflix now. Wonderfull!

And yes, that is where they should focus on. Music piracy is down (I have no basis of fact on that, but the olden days of Limewire are gone) since the launch of iTunes and Amazon Music, because music is affordable, and you can just get the 1 song you want.

In the last 3-4 years, I have gone from someone that used to pirate a lot of stuff to pretty much going all legal with iTunes and Amazon for music, and Netflix, Hulu and Amazon for movies.... and I cut the cord, no more cable bill for me. I am saving $1,000 a year by not having cable, so if I buy some music every so often, I can afford it.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: In Reality

and unwatchable. with everyone on 20mbps or better, the top ranking should be better than 3.5mbps.
--
Despises any post with strings.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mr Guy

said by Mr Guy:

Unfortunately for many the only "reasonable" price is free.

Which truth does not negate the truth that reasonable prices will attract legitimate buyers. I was a pirate; I am no longer. I never touched Hollywood crap; crap is crap, why "steal" what I wasn't willing to pay for? But as anime became readily available through legal channels, finding and acquiring pirated content became a chore my lazy ass didn't like.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Packeteers

RRR - rent rip return. safest option is redbox aside from overpriced 30 cent dvds.
--

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Mr Guy

Actually not even free is enough. Spotify gives unlimited free access to 20+ million tracks, yet people still pirate music.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to Mr Guy

And those people would never be customers so the movie industry shouldn't worry about them. You'll never completely eliminate piracy, but making your content available at a reasonable price will help to drop piracy rates.
--
-Jason Levine

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
reply to dvd536

I get your RRR point if you want to build a personal view library,
but why even bother ripping if you already have a DVD to view?
90% of the stuff I pirate, I view once (if at all) then delete.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to maartena

the best way to beat piracy is to beat them at their own game.
hint: bitstarved encodes, DRM and per device fees aren't going to cut it. people WANT a legit but not inferior product and the MAFIAA's dont care. i wish redbox rented boxsets.
--

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

It has been determined that filters are crap.

The problem is false positives with copyright holders using filters to block legitimate content. If the MPAA was a person they would be institutionalized as Paranoid Schizophrenics. They suffer from Betamax Schizophrenia since they lost their case against Sony in 1974. They cry that everyone is stealing their stuff, but like any mentally ill corporation, when their claims are tested the are found to be irrational.

Furthermore those that download music are found to buy clean copies of the performance if they like it. The so called pirates actually buy more legitimate copies of musical performances than non pirates. The MPAA psychotics should be required to take proper medication to prevent harming others with their irrational demands.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Jason Levine

Making your content more affordable will reduce piracy, but it also reduces your revenue per sale. Is it worth it in the end? That's up for debate.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Mr Guy

$1.20 is a reasonable price for a movie you get to keep and safe to acquire. course hollywood needs to quit regurgitating old movies. movie length cartoons too. there hasn't been anything good in redboxes for ages.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Goliath2k

Re: DRM-Free Downloads are the way to go

DRM can be removed. bitstarved encodes cant.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Making your content more affordable will reduce piracy, but it also reduces your revenue per sale.

Oh boo-hoo. Changes in the economy and demographics also reduce revenue. I have spent less on Hollywood crap in the last decade than in the previous decade; not because I pirated (which I did), but because I had the choice of spending my limited money on either Britney Spears or Shiina Hekiru: Shiina-san wins.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Packeteers

because i have a 2TB hub with all my movies[even ones i paid $29.99 for] no more racks full of discs and hunting thru hundreds of discs to find that movie i want to put on. many i delete because the movie wasn't worth the $1.20 i paid to acquire it, however theres some i keep to watch again.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to maartena

downside to itunes: you have to infect your system with quicktime.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ISurfTooMuch

unripped blu rays: press play, put a load of wash in the machine, make a pot of coffee, change the oil in my car, order a pizza, by the time everything is done and the pie arrives, movie is ready to watch.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to NormanS

i used to steal movies, no more. a tv show here and there when 3 things are on at the same time that i want to watch. that goes away when cox does away with their 'because we can install fee' on record 6.
--